Kyuubi comes to Chicago

As many of you know from my introduction, I was anxiously awaiting the arrival Kyuubi (formerly Ichabod from Kaiju Kennels). I am happy to report that he arrived yesterday, safe and sound. He didn't take much time at all to get acquainted with our home or family. He and our almost 3 year old son are very fond of one another and think chasing each other around is pure bliss. Our shiba is a little more reserved than I thought she would be. When out in the yard she is very playful but in the house a little more suspicious of Kyuubi and not as playful. He helped himself to food almost immediately (not very shocking for the little beefer that he is), lapped up almost a full bowl of water and was ready for action. I am very proud of him, it was a long journey for a little guy. He flew from Los Angeles to Chicago, was picked up by three strange people one of which was a toddler, brought to a new environment and just hit the ground running. He's a real champ and a class act like his momma, Bijozakura. I couldn't be any more grateful to have a pup from her. These are some amazing dogs. Pics to follow.

Survived his first flight!

Its warm too..

I'm exhausted...

It squeaks!

Oh look, a bone!

Comments

• Aww! He's so cute! Grown up from when he was a tiny pup. :)
  • So adorable!! I love this manly doggy puppy!
  • He is sooooo cute!! I am so glad he made it safely!
  • Kyuubi is a cutie!
  • Very sweet! Congratulations on the safe arrival!
  • Oh. I. Love. This Brindle boy!
  • Congrats by the way!
  • Cute!!! He is red btw.
  • He is adorable!!! Thanks for sharing these photos, I totally look forward to seeing him grow up.
    I'm a bit scared about my puppy as he'll be flying on a plane too. I'm also worried about meeting him for first time (what if he doesn't like us? ( lol! ) It's reassuring to read that Kyuubi did well and hopefully my pup will too. :)
  • Congrats! :)
  • edited January 2013
    He's such a little cutie : )
  • Congrats :)!
  • Congratulations! I am glad to hear he's adjusting. I look forward to more photos and stories! (:
  • How's Kyuubi doing?

In Kaylee's puppy class there's a sister and a brother who happened to both get the same class. Watching them made me think of how awesome it would be if Kaylee and Kyuubi could meet up again someday
  • So good to hear from you @king_bidgood! Just this evening I was showing my husband some of the recent pics on your Facebook page of Kaylee. She had a special spot in our hearts, we really fell in love with her. Mr. Kyuubi is doing well. He and our other dog are getting along pretty good. In fact, almost too good. He is an awesome brother. We are going to *try* to take a road trip out west around this time next year and bring him with us. We would like to attend the JACA and AHIKO shows next year. Cannot make any promises at this point but that is the goal. If we make it out there (literally, we will be like the Griswolds traveling from Chicago to Los Angeles in a family truckster) then I will have to firmly request you attend as well with Kaylee. Then we could have a super awesome reunion and I am sure we could arrange for Angi and momma Bijo to be there too. If you ever find yourself traveling through Chicago, with or without a dog, always feel free to reach out. It always helps to know somebody who knows somebody when in the windy city, lol!
  • Come to the nippo show this may! Ohio is closer!
  • Yeah, and all my dogs will be there... :D
  • edited February 2013
    @poeticdragon, I've always wondered for people coming from the west do you fly all of your dogs out or drive them?
  • I think for most it depends on the number of dogs they are bringing. I know several that fly in, but only bring 1 dog with them.
  • I drive, I prefer not to roll the dice with airline travel as much as possible. Besides, although the one way price for a dog isn't bad, round trip gets ridiculous... Even more so its multiples. It would be about $5000 to fly my dogs to Toledo and back. My mom loves to drive and travel and sight-see, so she does the driving and I work while we're on the road. Normally I work from home, but with 3G I can work anywhere. So by driving (and not being the one behind the wheel) I also don't have to take any vacation time.
  • That's awesome. How king is the trip? I remember Monterey to Dayton was a week but we were screwing around sightseeing too.
  • We are planning to attend the NIPPO classic. I have to book a room. Does anyone know, if you plan on being a spectator do you have to register or sign up anywhere? Or do you just show up? Is the show at the hotel? Does anyone stay at other hotels in the area? I have never been to a show in my life. I don't know the protocols or ettiquette.
  • edited February 2013
    @cdenny We take four days to get there. In 2011 we left Monday and arrived Thursday evening after taking a detour to Chicago to sight-see. The plan is the same this year, except that my parents will start driving out with the dogs while I am still in Japan. I will fly and meet them in Denver at 12:30am on Tuesday. On the way back we take the southern route through Dallas to see @Noxychu, @jellyfart, and other JA people in that area. We also stop at various national parks and tourist spots. We plan to take a week to return this year.

@jellyfart You should drive up from Dallas and meet us on Wednesday in Kansas. We could then caravan to the show together!

@ThreeFish231118 If you're going to be there, you should enter Kyuubi! Its super easy and laid back, nothing fancy. I am sure someone will handle him for you if you're nervous about going in the ring, but there's really nothing to it. I'd love to have some photos of the "little" boy strutting his stuff at a show to put up on my site, too... ;)

I really do recommend you stay at the Baymont hotel. The hotel is nice, dog friendly (obviously), and very reasonable rates. The main reason however is that there's really nothing else around it and the show, banquest, judge's seminar, etc all take place in the hotel itself. You'd have to drive to come from another hotel and may miss stuff.

The main reason not to stay at the hotel would be the other dogs. You could get a room with some really noisy neighbors.

If you are only a spectator, you can just show up.

EDIT: Here are some other hotels in the area http://goo.gl/maps/JAlBR
  • Everyone is super nice. It is awesome when everyone is all together. That reminds me I gotta check with my friend to see if she is bringing her RV. Otherwise I gotta book a room.
  • AH! sooo cute!!! congrats!