ugh!! hunting breeds!

edited January 2013 in Kishu Ken (紀州犬)
I hate to say this, but I am at the point where I think I have to realize that my dog is eventually going to get out of the yard and I will either never see her again, or I will be scraping her off the pavement of the nearest highway.

I just cannot, cannot, cannot contain her in my yard if there is something really worth chasing. I have been trying for years.

We got Tomoe, the three-year-old Kishu Inu, a Garmin GTU-10 and it alerted us this morning, and we were able to track her through the brambles and bushes of the neighborhood.

So I see her, and I call to her, and she comes over to me. I crouch down and I keep my voice calm and enthusiastic. I spread my arms wide and do not reach out at her. She comes running up to me...and when she two feet away her ears suddenly go flat and she picks up and bolts away at MACH 3.

We were near her five or more times this morning. If you call to her, this seems to enervate her to run the other direction. I have never been able to get this dog interested in coming towards me, ever. It is so incredibly frustrating to try to train a dog like that.

I think there is something going on in her brain with dopamine or whatever the doggy equivalents are. She is drawn towards at-risk behaviors because they give her a rush. She loves her family, and her house, and her yard, and her routine. But she gets the call of the wild and she just needs to answer it. Then apparently "avoiding daddy" becomes part of the enjoyment.

So completely depressing.

On a positive note, pretty good experience with that Garmin GTU-10 this morning. We were able to track her general location on our android phones. We had the thing set to five minute updates which is fine for when she is not actively chasing a deer. You can't set to continuous updating from the phone app; next time this happens I might do that before heading out to chase her.

Comments

• All I can say is I feel your pain now that I have a Kishu. Kishin is the same way, when he gets out he taunts us by coming just within reach then running off. He takes it a step further tho and *walks* away *just* faster than we can walk, or runs *just* faster than we can run. Such an ass.
  • I have a love/hate relationship with him now. LOL
  • That's what Eevee does. It makes catching her more annoying. She just walks or runs just a little bit faster than us. It makes me want to get back into shape though.
  • Sora does that to me. Yumi will come to me fairly quickly, but Sora teases.
  • Have you hot-wired your fence? Tried an e-collar?
  • My Shiba does the same thing! Thank God she has only gotten out a few times.
    We learned that following her in the car and yelling out "wanna go for a ride" is what works every time! She hops in and looks at me like she's just had the time of her life...
  • Gryphon trots ahead just a little faster than us, and occasionally looks back to make sure we're still keeping up. Such a pill!

Fortunately none of my JA want to run off, just Gryphon. I have successfully used one of the other dogs (usually a puppy with much better "follow" instincts than an adult) to lure Gryphon back though.
  • Kuma (AA) does the same thing. Get close enough to almost grab her and she shoots off. Or she will bow and sprint, bow and sprint and we are never quite quick enough to get our hands on her....... it seems to be a game to her.
  • Oh, I'm not alone. Kuro is doing it too ..
  • That's what my Shibas do too.

I'd say a better fence. But I know that's expensive.

I never saw the point of using an e-collar as a recall--you're going to shock your dog to get it to come back to you? Why? But I find the e-collars and shocking of dogs really repugnant.
  • Yup just like my kishus. I think this is a universal thing for most NK, if you have one then expect it to happen LOL. Luckily my kishus have the same route so I chase them down in the car, jump out ahead of them and catch them in the same spot.

A wire fence barrier does work but keeping it maintained is a pain. I would definitely not use a ecollar to get a dog back. All you will do is teach the dog to correlate you with pain and you will never get that dog to come back.

Best thing is to reinforce the barriers, make it high if the dog jumps or make the surface hard if the dig. Use wood screws instead of nails if they push the fence planks out (like my dogs).
  • I have a neighbor who has two huskies that he keeps in with an e-collar, it works fine MOST of the time, apparently they still occasionally get out. I could see this happening with Tomoe with about the same frequency as she gets out now.

I think these dogs have something going on in their brains that other dogs do not - like they get a flood of dopamine from the chase, and then when I appear and try to get her to come over to me it just makes it more of a "rush."
  • My Lapphund, though not a hunting dog, was an escape artist when she was young. The problem was that we live in a suburb with a lot of traffic, very near some major roads--so we were worried. She would always come back on her own, but would do the "lalalalalala I'm not listening! *run away at an annoyingly deliberate speed*" thing if we tried to catch her. When she was still very puppyish, the only thing that seemed to work was to -run- away from her so that she would take it as an invitation to a chasing game and would follow... and that would never work if it was anything more serious than just puppy zoomies (stray cats, rabbits, etc.).

Eventually, we just ended up using a tie-out cable even inside our fenced yard if we weren't directly supervising her (i.e., if we didn't want to accompany her outside, or were going to do something like take out the trash while letting her pee). I still don't know if it was the best solution, but it did keep her from ever getting out and getting hit and it was easy (aside from the handful of times she slipped her collar, which I suppose could have been combated with a harness). We always made a point to make sure that the cable was long enough for her to move around, but not long enough that she could get to the fence and risk hanging herself with it... and I would not tie up two dogs at the same time even for such a short period of time. I also seem to recall it taking a little bit of work before she wasn't concerned about the cable snaking along the ground behind her, but... she's 12 now, that was a long time ago and I was young and don't remember the details.

I never wanted to use an e-collar with her. But she's a soft dog but also determined--so I was never sure if being shocked would damage her recall with bad associations, or if she would just rather chase a strange cat even if it meant getting shocked than come back. The GPS sounds -cool-, though!

So really, aside from physically preventing a dog from escaping... I don't know what to suggest, really. That would be a horrifying realization, though--that you're bound to eventually lose your dog...
  • @Kenshi - The e-collar that you mentioned sounds like an invisible fence collar. They're not the same as either a hotwire or a human-controlled e-collar.

The human-controlled e-collar does require training that incorporates the idea of applying punishment if the dog deliberately, knowingly disobeys his owner. This is done on lead first and proofed on lead first without the e-collar. The dog should be solid with the recall even if a rabbit were to hop around in the same field.

It's only then that the lead is phased out and someone who knows how to time and operate the e-collar is brought into the picture. The collar needs to be a subtle addition so the dog does not become equipment savy.

@shishiinu - After the dog experiences the hotwire and knows where it is located, they won't repeatedly test the wire for something like a joy-lark around the neighborhood. Even if the hotwire does become inconvenient to maintain, it's better than seeing your loose dog get hit by a car or, even worse, going after a person because that person came off as a threat to them.
  • Yeah I agree with you ayk, the last one I had crapped out within 6 months (probably cause it was cheap). It did work really well while it lasted though. For my small yard it was easier to harden all the digging areas and put up steel mesh above to keep the dogs from going over.
  • These were mentioned some time ago as a means to keep animals in or out: http://coyoteroller.com/

I've also heard of doing something similar with the brackets that hold barbwire, replacing the barbwire with either meshing or plain wire strung through pvc pipes. The angle alone can be daunting to any animals without thumbs.
  • Maybe I need a border collie to herd dogs back. I'd make a killing! Lol
  • A kennel I visited had a roll of chain link laid down on the ground embedded in the grass underneath the fence. So there was roughly 3' on either side of the fence that animals couldn't dig through but you could still go over it with a lawnmower.
  • I don't think I could handle a Kishu. I would probably have an anxiety attack worrying about the inevitable escape.
  • They're not that bad...
  • My Shiba pup does that in forests/ the yard. This is why she is contained when I'm not home, or checked in the yard frequently. If she does escape, I just hope a handful of tuna will get her back!
  • My kishu does the same thing. Whenever I get close enough to get her she runs the other way, sometimes I think she taunts me cause she'll run laps around me as if to say you can't catch me.
  • my kai will do the same thing once in a while but will always follow me if I take off running from him. as a puppy I always used his prey drive to chase me as a game. when I do get a kishu I plan to do the same thing, as well as keep him off lead as a puppy so hopefully off lead isn't such an event to get excited over.
  • There is a pile of logs next to the fence. They have been there for MONTHS because my wheelbarrow broke moving the big things after I had a tree taken down. So what happened was, the raccoon convinced her she needed to get higher, and she wound up there, and she got out.

So last night I let her out and checked on her through a window five minutes later. She is standing on the logs. So I opened the window to yell at her and as soon as she hears me touch the glass she JUMPS off the logs and looks around to see where I am! I know most theories of dog cognition wouldn't support this but I'll be damned if she didn't know I would be pissed if I saw her trying to get out of the yard again.

So I moved the logs. It is just a matter of time before she finds a new way out.

IF ONLY I COULD CONVINCE THIS DOG TO DO SOMETHING WITH HER INTELLIGENCE THAT I CONSIDER USEFUL!
  • hmmm arashi runs off occasionally but shes still a puppy... i just run from her and she usually chases me. Also been working on an emergency recall. I never take her in the house or collar her after i do it. just so she wont ever think about it when i need it. :/
  • Akuma (kai) Took off after a deer one time when I was doing some off lead with him. I had to look for him for a while before I found him. I get what your saying about the "call of the wild" If Akuma sees something worth chasing then he is gone and all I can hope is he gets it or trees it.
  • Kuro ran free in the woods today for almost an hour. I didn't see it at all, until it suddenly appeared next to me. He was very tired and breathless. And looked at me just like asking "where were you? I've been looking all over for you!" 8-|
  • Ah....brings back memories of all my Siberian Huskies. Yes, I agree it is no fun having them do that!
  • I don't even want to start with the puppy-Ife or adolescent-Nuuk... 8-|
  • Good thing for GPS collars and sturdy harnesses/long lines!