I almost lost Mika this morning

edited January 2013 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Since we are on this Kai's run topic a lot lately. Mika slipped her martingale this morning when we were on our walk.

Both dogs got baths yesterday, so they are super soft and slippery. I went to pick up Mika's potty and the leash went loose. She then slipped out the back of her martingale.

Luckily I can trust Koda to follow and stay on sidewalks. I dropped his leash and went after Mika. She ran into an apartment parking lot wanting to run and play. I tried to play our game where I say "I'm going to get you.". This means she's going to get butt rubs and she usually runs to me for them. Not this time. She ran in circles.

I'm so lucky that Koda got a little flipped and scared and ran up to where we were and play blowed a few times. She ran to him and he tackled her to the ground so I could grab her. I almost had a heart attack. My biggest fear is loosing her.

Thank goodness for Koda. I don't know how I would've caught her.

She's back in a harness.

Comments

• Wow, that's so scary! Glad it all ended well, but yeah....Kai Ken getting loose is seriously scary. Any dog really, but esp. the Kai.
  • I almost lost Eevee a week ago. I went to an enclosed dog park and we only had Mochi and Eevee there. I didn't know the opposite side of the fence had a few missing bars and she went through and started running. There were cars everywhere!

Luckily, a kind man asked if he would like us to cut off her path, which we did. She was about 50ft away when I opened the car door and said "load up." She jumped in the car and I thanked the man profusely.

Another time, Eevee got out of the house and jumped into my neighbor's car.

I'm glad you got Mika back safely.
  • Good going Koda for helping get Mika back. :)
  • Phew! Thank goodness for Koda!!
  • edited January 2013
    Oh my goodness! <3 's to Koda - good boy and naughty Mika!! Don't do that to your mama!! So glad he got her for you!
  • That's freaky. I'm so glad Koda tackled her and enabled you to grab her so she didn't run off.
  • Koda is the hero of the day! I bet you gave him extra treats when you got home! Very glad everything is ok now!

• I am having a hard time re-leashing Sachi once she gets off lead too. At the dog park or my community's dog run (which if super-motivated/very scared I would bet she could get over the fence 5ft chain link) if she has played and run around she goes feral about getting re-leashed. Last night it took an hour and me acting like a matador with my jacket in one hand and the leash slip leaded in the other to herd her into the double gate. She does the play come and get me but can never be caught. @tjbart17 I can only imagine what you it must have been feeling. I am so glad koda help you wrangle her.
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks everyone. I needed to vent it out.

To be honest, I've become overly paranoid about losing Mika. I have nightmares that I've lost her and can't find her or find her and can't catch her. After Mochi, Shakko, and now Kirin, I had one last night. I woke up almost crying in a panic last night to find Mika had climbed in bed with Koda and I and was all cuddled up with him. It took me an hour to go back to bed.

I'm super lucky. Mika didn't just run off, she found a place that was a lot that she could run in circles hoping for Koda and I to play with her. I'd like to think that I could've gotten her eventually, but it was still so scary.

I'm so glad Koda is such a good boy. He knew exactly how to get her. When we got home, he had her pinned down in the living room and was frantically kissing her. I think that he was a bit freaked out about it too.

Mika of course came out completely unscathed, and didn't know why both of us were doting over her. She's a very solid Kai.

And yes, I gave both of them lots of love. Koda for being such a good boy, and Mika for being safely in my arms.

@Zinja Oh that is so scary too. I'm so glad Eevee is ok.

@cdenney Does Sachi get scared there? Or is it just a game for her?
  • I dont think she was scared she had played with another pup and then was trying to get me to run with her more. She would wag at me but not approach even though I was sitting down for 20+ minutes trying to lure her to me. I could touch her shoulder but not grab onto her collar. Walking towards her she would run ahead then circle behind and that is her normal behavior when exploring a new place. She was just feral about coming in.
  • Wew! Thank god for koda!
  • gah... not cool Mika. Not cool!

Glad she is safe!
  • @tjbart17 oh my gosh. I don't want to hijack your thread, but I also wanted to say that I've experienced something similar recently. Toronto's weather has been jumping around from cold to warm, so with the snow melting, then re-freezing, it got a little slippery and my husband slipped. He didn't fall, but his foot skidded and he made large scary waving motions with his arms to keep him from completely falling. The noise combined with the flailing arms totally freaked Hana out and she BACKED OUT OF HER WEBMASTER. She bolted, but thankfully she beelined it back to the front door of our townhouse.

Despite the fact that she can walk past the courtyard now she's still very on edge when we go outside. She doesn't run away from her harness anymore when we go to put it on her, but still very much hates going out. Thank GOD she knows where "home" is and that she understands that our home is safe for her. The harness was a little loose, and she was able to hoodini out of it.

We are obviously going to make triple sure her harness is secure and make she doesn't practice backing out, but oh my gosh I lost 5 years of my life.
  • Wow scary luckily Hana ran to home. :)

I fell on black ice once not fun! Luckily I didn't let go of the leash and Saya didn't back out.

She came to me rescued and stared at me like get up and lets continue our walk silly!

Bella my mom's boxer probably would think flailing arms as scary or fun thing and she'd jump at me to play or walk away.
  • @cdenny....if she were mine, I would not take her to a place she can be offleash like that, especially since you haven't had her long. I wouldn't take my Kai to a place like that (or any of my dogs, since none have a reliable recall) anyway, and I've had them all since pups, but I certainly wouldn't with a new dog. There is just too much room for error, and if she gets out, you won't get her back.

Just my 2 cents though.
  • I feel for ya. It is such an intensly scary situation and you feel so powerless. Im not gonna hijack the thread and frankly I dont feel like talking about my personal experiences with toki escaping offleash, but I just wanted to say im sorry this happened. Espeically with kirin being missing on the forum. Ive been paranoid lately, too. I hate leaving Toki in our backyard for more than 5 minutes even though our yard is pretty secure.
  • @shibamistress I've come to the same conclusion I just have no otherway for her to burn off energy. Walking she can do forever, she has never played indoors to the point of panting. Back on leash she is fine and while playing checks in just when it gets to leash time. I think doggie daycare is next so she is playing while enclosed.

@tjbart17 sorry for the hijack
  • edited January 2013
    @cdenney No worries on the hijack. Please do so. This is how we learn from each other's experiences. Koda used to do this to me when he was a pup. He wasn't running away, but letting me know that he wasn't done with the fun. I think that's what you are going through. I take my dogs to dog parks, not that often, but they like them. I started to walk Koda for an hour before I brought him so he was ready to go when I was. That helped with your type of situation.

@thegala Oh that is way more scary than what I went through. Mika was not in flight mode. She was in let's play Koda and Tara I'm free mode! That would scare the life out of me.
  • Wow I'm really glad Hana was just wanting some space to play instead of hoofing it out of town! Good boy Koda rustling her up for you!

Thankfully Ren will run around wanting to play, but she'll stay close and will come back to be recollared after a few minutes of following from a few feet away for the few times she's slipped collar. She's also prefers to hide than to run, so thats good too.

@cdenney Woah I'm glad she ran to your door instead of away! Your heart must have stopped for a good minute.

@jellyfart Yeah same here, I'll let Ren out back to go to the bathroom and run around. But if I'm not out with her then I'll constantly check on where she is every few minutes. If she got out of the yard without knowing where I was it'd be a bad time, especially with how dark and small she is. At least the Tokemon is big and hard to miss!
  • I had Pam from bark and giggle make soft "check" collars for mine. I only use them on walks. Bella has slipped a martingale that was impossible for me to remove, and she has slipped every harness I have tried. I dont use the check collar for corrections, but I can stop her escaping with it which will potentially save her life...