Huskitas & other crazy Akita mixes

edited January 2013 in General
I found this on Kijiji today -

This person is looking for an Akita/Husky mix. I didn't know there was a demand for cross mixes. This dog does look pretty cool with the blue eyes.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-dogs-puppies-for-sale-Looking-for-a-Husky-Akita-mix-puppy-W0QQAdIdZ444701421

I did a quick search and found this one: SharKita ( Shar-Pei and Akita )
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/107133628/shar-pei-x-akita-pups-for-sale.html

... :-SS

Comments

• Well cross mixes are unique so odds are you won't run into someone else that has a dog like yours. A lot of people want a unique one of a kind dog I think.
  • SHARKita... XD
  • edited January 2013
    I've posted about him before but he's sooo good looking!

More photos can be found in Rue's dogster account. His head reminds me of my AA but the blue eyes work well with his silver brindle. He is absolutely gorgeous.

imageimage
  • Those -are- very striking dogs! If I wanted a dog and was going through shelters and saw one I'd definitely be attracted, but... I can't imagine posting an ad looking for a specific mix like that.

I'm not sure what I would even quite picture a grown Akita/Shar-Pei cross to look like...
  • A "bassita"...
    Basset Akita Mix
  • lol, that little bassita is cute...
    This thread is interesting because I love our Mirra so much, I've often wondered how on earth we'd ever find another similar to her. Long ago I just resigned myself that she'll probably always be that one of a kind mix we've had. I don't think I'd ever post an ad looking for a "Siberian Collie", but would probably be really tempted to go look if I ever saw anyone advertising a litter.
  • Aww, cute "bassita."
  • edited January 2013
    Rottkita?

• There was someone advertising "huskitas" (or trying to) on Akita World for awhile. Drives me crazy--it's a mixed breed dog, for god's sakes, and these people are claiming to be "breeders" and charging a lot for a mixed breed. I find it annoying in the extreme.
  • They are charging thousands of dollars at Pet stores here for things like a pug, poodle mix. People just have no clue how ridiculous this is.
  • edited January 2013
    looks like yellow labrakita to me. Our neighbor has a black labrakita, Koji.

Sage is a RottKailler...maybe... ;)
  • @white_bear , I was trying to find a photo of a Sharkita in Google images, and its was funny because all these images of women named Sharkita came up, lol !! :-))

That dog is so different looking, can't believe there's market for them. He does look really loveable though.
  • LOL I didn't know such a name existed.

Not sure there is a market for them, i think irresponsible owners breed their females to whichever dog pleases them (the crazier the mix the better) and then find friends/family to give the puppies to.

This particular dog was caught on video by the owner of one of our puppies while walking his dog on the street. The Sharkita owner apparently was very pleased and proud of the fact that he has such a mix.

Regardless of how sweet and loveable these dogs are (actually all dogs are loveable to me :) ) breeds exist because tens and hundreds and thousands of people put their time and effort into selection. If you as a simple owner decide to put together dogs of two different breeds you disregard hundreds of years of selection and the work of thousands of people.
  • edited January 2013
    The shar pei x akita mix is interesting at least it's an improvement on the crazy wrinkles shar pei dogs have..

I'm not fan of the whole designer dog craze. :\

My neighbor got their lab/mastiff mix for protection from coyotes. The dog is so nuts doesn't listen to her owners, and runs all over the place and runs away from people I doubt she'd be much protection. besides a visual deterrent.

They call her breed a mastador or something like that.

I'm like your mastiff lab mix pup is cute and they coarse repeat no she is a mastador.. Whatever.

I saw a ad in Indianapolis area mini huskies for sale. they're husky shiba mix..

If your breeding the dog for purpose fine, but most I seen are not mostly for money and as a gimmick.

I loved my catahoula mix poor girl was picked up off the streets had mange so we had waited to adopt her as she was getting treatments.

• I like "akitador" rather than "labrakita" because then it sounds like it should be in Spain fighting bulls or something... :D
  • Yeah when the owners said mastador I kept thinking of matador. haha
  • Anyone remember that Akita Inu x Wolf I posted a video of a long time ago? That was an awesome animal.
  • Yeah! It was half Carpathian. I can't find the video anymore though :(
  • Rotkitta or should we just call him Dumbo?
    Those are some big ears!!!!
  • I think that big eared guy is a Labrakita.
    I think I misposted the photo. Anyway, huge ears though, he looks like an elf or something!
  • Every now and then, I got to see what is going on in Akita World on FB (never should, it is always just annoying).

But today, scrolling fairly far down, I saw a pic of a sort of odd looking JA. Turns out it, was a Huskita, but someone had bred their JA to the husky, rather than the usual AA/Husky crosses. What got me where the comments--like oh, how unique, you usually don't see them bred with a JA, and oh, I wish I had one.

Ugh.
  • Sharkita reminds me of the sharkiesha bully video that went viral. The name made me laugh
  • My childhood dog was a GSDxAA. Couldn't have asked for a better dog to grow up with
  • @NavyDog we LOVE every kind of dog here :) We're just not so keen on people mixing breeds just to market them as the new breed du-jour.
  • edited December 2013
    I believe every dog should be loved no matter what the breed or mix. However, I do have a problem with people mixing just to sell a dog with a "designer" price. A lot of breeds were created by mixing, but there was also a lot of thought and careful breeding that went into them. Backyard or irresponsible breeders mixing whatever they can get their hands on for cheap and reselling for a ridiculous price is a whole different ball game. I feel the same about people who advertise their pups as "purebred" when the dogs are not. Should the dog have any health problems arise, the owner will either blame all pure bred dogs or just the breed as a whole and neither would do responsible breeders or the breed itself any good.

I recently encountered people of this sort. It's more of a rant than example but here's what happened:

I was speaking with a co-worker about my plans to get a JA once one is available for me from the breeder I've selected, when another came and spoke of "Japanese Akita Inus" being sold at a pet store a few cities over. I was a little surprised, as I've met with a few breeders and none gave me the impression that they would just hand over JA puppies to a pet store without attempting to find it a suitable home. I asked this colleague about the size and characteristics of the puppy and let the person know that they may have been misinformed on what breed the pups were. Sure enough, they described a Shiba. I asked if the store mentioned Shiba at all and he said they had not. They told him that the pups were pure bred Japanese Akitas and that they wouldn't get too much bigger than the small size they were already. I knew then that the puppies could not have been JA and asked to see a photo. After verifying that they were shibas I explained the difference, gave a little information on them and how they differed from the JA. The next day I visited the pet store to inquire about the "pure bred Japanese Akitas" that they were selling for $1750. I looked around for the puppies but did not see them so I asked the two ladies at the desk if they had any Japanese Akita or Shiba pups available recently that I had missed out on.. One lady said "No, we don't have anymore Akitas, we sold the last pup a couple days ago. But we get them every once in a while. I can put your number in the system for when we do get more." I asked about the Akitas they had and if they were "purebred Japanese Akitas". They said "yes, they usually get their pups from reputable local breeders" I then asked if they knew about shibas, and the lady said yes. I then told her that someone had shown me a photo of a pup they were advertising as a JA last week and that it was actually a Shiba. I asked if they had purposely advertised them as a different breed or if maybe an uninformed employee confused the two breeds and passed incorrect information onto customers. Both ladies seemed as if they were looking for something to say. After a long pause, they ignored my question and went on about how they used to sell JA pups but stopped because the breeder they bought from stopped breeding them. I asked again why they were purposely selling Shiba pups as JA's and their reply was "People mistake Shibas all the time for Japanese Akitas because they look the same as the puppy in Hachi. We don't always tell people because they have it in their mind that that's what a Japanese Akita is." I was quite frustrated that these people would just sell a puppy to someone knowing that it is not what the person is looking for just to make a quick buck off people looking for the "Hachi dog". I thanked them for their time and left. They clearly knew what they were doing and nothing I could have said would've mattered to them. I feel bad for the families who bought puppies from them. Not only will they be under the impression that the pup is a Japanese Akita, but they will tell everyone they meet about their pup and misinform others, just as they were. And if anything should happen to the pup (you never know how pup stores treat their dogs) they will associate that with the breed itself. And it won't even be the correct breed!

Whew, okay I'm done with that rant. I apologize for it. I seldom post, mainly lurk, but this was something I wanted to share and hopefully shed a little light on one way people are being misinformed on the Nihon Ken, or any dog for that matter. There is a lot of confusion already in my area on the American Akita and The Japanese Akita. :D
  • @Jazzie_L- WOW...that's so ridiculous. Some people just have no morals..I would assume that the people might eventually figure out that they're dogs aren't Japanese Akitas. I know I look up info on my dog and other dogs quite frequently (they would have to notice from pictures) and with talking to other people someone will hopefully correct them (maybe not know it was a JA but at least recognize it as a Shiba)!!
    Sad thing is that those women probably wouldn't recognize a Japanese Akita even if they did have them.

You see some pretty interesting mixes these days..
    I'm also not a fan of the designer dog fad.
  • @Dragonfly I hope someone does correct them eventually! Just so that maybe it'll prompt them to do a little more research on the breed they actually have.

I'm just going to pretend that they wouldn't recognize a JA if they saw one. It'll keep me from imagining them selling it as Beagle to some family.
  • Wow, that's pretty horrible. I'd report the pet store to the better business bureau, if you had anything as proof, because that is fraud. Of course, even more important would be to get this place to stop selling puppies, period, because any dog in pet store is from a mill. :(

But that really sucks overall, and it shows how pet stores are preying on people's ignorance: first ignorance of where the dogs come from, and second even of breed!
  • @shibamistress I'd like to report them, but I don't have any proof to do so. It wasn't me that was misinformed when they actually had the puppies. So I can't point out exactly who and when. Anything I report would just be hearsay. And considering there would be two employees against me I doubt I can make a difference. This store was in a mall, so I know that many others will visit this store. I just hope one day someone calls them out on their crap, too.