Frequent urination

edited January 2013 in Behavior & Training
Looking for tips for house training a 10 week male AA pup that literally pees every 2-4 minutes (this is not an exaggeration). We walk him and he pees and gets praise for going outside. Bring him in walk down the stairs and he pees. Take him back out and he pees. Take him back in he grabs a toy and stops to pee, etc. Yes, he also pees in his crate. I know he is a baby but he pees soooo often. He is healthy and the vet said all is well and the puppy is just not emptying his bladder. It is impossible to walk him every 2-4 minutes throughout the day lol So, any ideas???
I do pull up his water at night so he isn't drinking before bed.

He does not poo inside or in his crate and will cry to let us know he has to go.

Comments

• Did you bring a sample of urine to the vet? It could be an infection.
  • Yes, his urine has been checked twice. All clear.
  • Glad to hear it's not an infection and it's good that the pup is not going #2 inside. What are the kinds of surfaces your pup has been peeing on? There was a discussion on JA puppy going on carpets indoors b/c not able to distinguish between inside/outside, only surface types in this thread:
    www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/8116/kaylee-the-awesome-ja

Also, has submissive peeing been ruled out? A friend of mine has a B&T shiba, he's about 7-years-old now, been a submissive peeing since he was a wee pup at 14 wks. My impression is the dog would hold it but "leak" pee out of excitement in play, seeing people, etc. He otherwise is able to hold his bladder during the day when my friend is at work. I'm curious if your pup is left alone in an ex-pen w/ wee-wee pads, does he still pee every 2-4 minutes, and does he know to go on wee-wee pads?

• He is not picky about surfaces in the house.... he will pee on the carpet, the laminate flooring, the hardwood, or the tile. It isn't submissive urination, either. He just pees often. More frequently than any other pup I've had.

Today we took the pups out to the pet store and to Lowe's. We were gone roughly 3 hours and he did not pee once. No matter how many times I walked him and tried to get him to pee. As soon as we got home and took him to the back yard he peed. So he can hold it....
  • It sounds like he prefers to hold it when you're out and about, but not to hold it when he's home/comfort zone... interesting...

Have you tried the umbilical cord method mentioned here? I also read about it in Dr. Sophia Yin's Perfect Puppy in 7 days book. I wished I tried this method instead of the wee-wee pad route:
    http://www.akita-dog.com/Akita_Puppy_Training.html
  • I have tried all of the usual things (like the one you mentioned above) and have seen no improvements.... I am at a loss! At least after our outing today I know he can hold it.... that's something at least!

Thank you so much for the input and if you have more- I am all ears!
  • I can;t think of anything reasonable so I'll just ask this: when you praise him for going outside, is it possible you are interrupting him, or drawing too much attention to it? thus he stops and doesnt get empty? As you praise him does he stop for his attention/treat or something? I have also bee surpised at how frequently Matsu needed to pee for many weeks, but it wasn't as frequently a you describe. Our vet said many young pups with free access to water will just drink-play-pee, repeat, and not really think about it. Id have trouble when id have him loose a lot indoors and he'd do exactly that. Now that he is 16 weeks, he seems to be on a much more normal rate of peeing/drinking. I also had to keep his day-crate smaller than I had it. He still goes out a lot, but he also figured out that he needs to be more assertive and clear about asking to go out.- ie sitting at the door, pawing the door, whining, a bit more than just stopping play to sniff around. It took time and maturity, but he seesm to be getting it! and your pup will too!
  • Thank you!

I have tried multiple things when he pees outside (doing each one multiple times in a row to ensure it didn't have anything to do with his stopping) like you said but it seems that he stops peeing because he is done and not because of distractions. He will pee and then walk off and before he makes it to the stairs he might even pee again. He does the same thing inside- pees-stops-grabs toy-pees again, etc. While outside on Friday I experimented and I didn't do or say anything after he peed the first time- we stayed out there for 6 minutes. He peed 3 times in 6 minutes. I did downsize his day crate but that has not helped. He will soil his bed, his blankie and toys in there and then lay on them........ I am hoping this changes quickly.

Other than the very frequent urination and screaming in the crate (which has improved a lot lately and I know that will pass) he is the perfect little guy.

• Hang in there... It gets better. Maybe for the time being, pick him up when you take him inside the house until he's in his designated area (ex pen, crate, room) where there's a pee pad around so even if he goes, it's okay. Btw, screaming in the crate, is this a shiba or Akita or??

To share our experience, our JA pup was 8 wk old when she came home with us, she'd go pee anywhere outside in the backyard, and those were little pee puddles but she'll go pee again inside the house on the wee pad, no less than 30 min later. I must add we seldom stay outside on pee breaks for 15 mins as suggested in the training books b/c pup is a long coat (gets dirty easily) and liked to eat grass/mulch, so we try to keep her indoors unless we're actively playing with her.

A few weeks later, she started to only pee on the perimeter of the lawn, or the mulched area in the side yard. I think she figured out she didn't want to go potty where she also played.

She was reliably house broken by 16 weeks, and I started to direct her to go only in the side yard. I think once she realized that I prefer her to go in the side yard, and will give her a big treat afterwards, she will do a long pee and ran back to the door. The only catch is if she needed to do #2, I have to watch her body language afterwards and see if she needed to go out a 2nd time

However, pup definitely has separation anxiety, and if left alone in her room or in her crate, she'd pee and make a big mess. So that's a whole other issue I won't digress...
  • edited January 2013
    @rikumom, thank you! He is an American Akita. I have my hands full at the moment with dogs (foster and permanent pets) and kids so holding him inside for long stretches is a bit of a challenge but I can give it a shot. I am willing to try anything at this point lol

I know that this will pass (hopefully VERY quickly) I just have never known a dog to urinate this often!!! It has only been 3 weeks but my concern was it isn't really improving yet... at all. I am patient and I have an excellent carpet shampooer hahahahaha