Under Feeding a monster?

We feed Goro 1 cup x3/day and he's hungry every 3 hours! He comes up to me, sits and stares, and when I ask him "What do you want, buddy?" he licks his chops and runs into his crate. That or he puts his head on my lap, whimpers and runs to his crate. If I ignore him (which is what I've been having to do) he just follows me around to get my attention and when he has it he does the same thing.

Should I feed him more or is he being a junky?!

@brada1878 You have his parents... HELP! His stomach can't be a bottomless pit!

Thought I might share this on the forum since it seems appropriate! LOL
Goro Dreams2

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Wow. That's an awesome poster. Do you mind if I share it on Facebook?? =)

Also, I'm no help with feeding amounts. My feeding rules are pretty simple once I establish a baseline: If the dog still acts hungry and looks thin, feed more. If the dog is still hungry and does not look thin, ignore begging behavior. If the dog is starting to plump up, feed less.
  • No, not at all. Go ahead lol
  • edited January 2013
    @Hinata23 three cups a day seems pretty light for an active medium sized dog, but I guess it depends on the calories per serving of your food. Have you tried the calculator here on Dog Food Advistor and compared it to your brand?

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/
  • @poeticdragon It says "Feed your dog 2.76 cups/day"...
  • I remember Brad saying he feed Haru 4 cups/day at one point (or something like that) and Goro is a lot bigger than she is. So I don't know what to do!
  • I think that was when she was pregnant/nursing.

• Maybe try one if those puzzle things where he has to work to get his food. Maybe by him eating slower, he will not feel so hungry.
  • How active is Goro compared to Haru?
  • This thread makes me feel badly... I only feed London (90lb) 3 cups of food a day. :( He's fairly active, but if I feed him more than that, he'll pack on the pounds (tho he does get a good amount of snacks during the day).

I like @sjp051993's idea of feeding him in a puzzle and ascribe to @curlytails' philosophy, thought. See if a puzzle helps him get more out of mealtime!
  • Haru is probably a lot more active than Goro since she has 3 acres to run around in. Goro just runs in circle in the apartment with ChoCho. They play until they are tired and are panting.
  • edited January 2013
    @curlytails @Crispy But that's the thing... It's hard to tell if he's getting fat or is just big... Brad has the same problem with Akashi (Goro's sire). Goro has a very deep chest and it can make him look fat sometimes.

@sjp051993 I fed him lunch in the wobble kong yesterday and nothing changed. He took longer than his usual 25 secs, but he was looking for more food afterwards. Do you recommend another one type?
  • @WrylyBrindle I'm sure that's why. I think he also the same thing about Loa when she was younger, though.

• edited January 2013
    Ayu is always hungry too. She eats much less tho. Akashi eats about 3 cups a day, Ayu eats about 2... I could feed Ayu three and she'd still be hungry and still look thin. Haru was like this too, she eventually started to slow down - I think it's just that the Inoue-san dogs have a fast metabolism when they are younger.
  • @brada1878 So keep ignoring him? I haven't changed his eating routine, so nothing is new.
  • @Cripsy - dont feel bad- Reilly and Sage are 70 lbs apiece - Reilly eats 3cups, Sage 2.5. I wouldn't feed Sage more than that- he is less active than Rei. Both of them are older than most of the dogs in this thread though (10 and 7 years old)

Juno eats 2c. a day. She's young and active and fleet and petite.
  • Feed him more, see what happens. Worst that can happen is he'll get fat, then you know you should feed him less than that.
  • edited January 2013
    My Akita eats 3 cups a day.

Sasuke, 30 lbs Shiba, ate 4 cups a day and he was never overweight. He just had a fast metabolism.

What brand of kibble are you using?
  • @Zinja We use Earthborn Coastal Catch (435 kilo-calories per cup).
  • I feel real lucky. All my dogs are fed free choice. There is a big bowl that us always full. Now they do get fed a cup of food in their crates. That usually has the fish oils and any other supplements. Everyone carries a nice healthy weight.
  • I really was not joking @Hinata23... Feed him more and see how he acts. If he stops begging then you know he was hungry, if he doesn't then you know he is a piggy.
  • @brada1878 Oh I know you weren't joking! Just the thought of Goro actually getting fat cracked me up lol. Sorry, I would've written more, but the pressure cooker timer went off.
  • edited January 2013
    Haha! That poster is awesome.

One of my 50 pounders gets 2 cups a day, the other 1 3/4 cups. They are semi-active dogs. Conker gets anywhere from 1 to 2 cups a day depending on the food and his activity level. He's eaten as many as 3 cups a day and he's a 25 pound dog, but tends to be on the very active side of things.
    All my dogs are fed based on what keeps them in good shape, not what a bag or feeding calculator says. If they get fat they get a bit less, if they get skinny they get a bit more.

Sasha and Conker are constantly begging, even if they just ate a bigger than normal meal. I don't think anything of it.
  • I actually laughed out loud the first time I saw that posted haha. Good stuff :)
  • Love that poster saw it on FB when you posted it I think. So cute!

Not sure how to help.. :\

Saya does fine with food.

Bella when she was young used to act hungry some and now she is older she acts better.

She did start begging for food thanks to my grandpa who stayed with us he kept handing her food from the table. D:

No amount of asking him not to prevented him so Bella had be in another room during time he had to eat.

Once he was well enough to move out she continued begging at table for a bit so it took some training to get her back to normal.

Bella is a food hog.

I agree slowing down eating should help some. Not sure best way to help.

• Great poster!

Vi eats 2 cups a day (plus various snacks) and she is a lazy bum, 17 lb shiba who is underweight. Some dogs burn really quickly. If he's got a deep chest that makes it difficult to tell by sight, try by feel. My boy is the right weight. If I touch his sides lightly, I can feel that he has ribs (I feel the hardness of the bone) but can only feel individual ribs if I add light pressure to my touch.

Also, just because a dog acts hungry doesn't mean that they are. I once fed Bear (Vi's 25 lb brother), the same amount of raw that I give her because he was acting hungry. The result was one sick puppy. Once I reduced the amount to his regular amount he was fine.
  • edited January 2013
    @brada1878 So I tried something new. I fed him 2 cups in the morning (7am) 2 days in a row and he went from wanting food at 10 am-11am to 2:45pm. I fed him 3/4 for lunch and he seems pretty content with waiting till dinner time. So I guess he was hungry...