Akiho Akita-Inu Red Female "Search in North America"

Looking for a nice Akiho red female of Breeding quality
Yes before I travel the world for a quality Bitch-I am wondering if anything is available in North America
Is it worth traveling to the Feb 2013 show in LA to meet good breeders?
I would gladly aquire a puppy or adult female
thanks
Cheers

Comments

• If I were in your position and I had the means I would go to the AKIHO show, I would do it. Just about every US AKIHO breeder will be there with their dogs in the ring and some of their older retired dogs or spayed/neutered puppies at the sidelines. Its a good place to network and talk to the club members about your goals for starting a kennel and to join the Los Angeles branch. You need to be a member of AKIHO in order to have a dog's pedigree transferred to your name and to register litters. LA branch is the only North American AKIHO branch. But I can't decide for you if its "worth it."

As a side note, I don't forsee anyone selling an adult. There is high demand and very few litters per year, so breeders never have problems finding homes for puppies. Any adult someone has would be their own import or pick of the litter, and I don't see them parting with those dogs unless they didn't turn out very good.
  • @poeticdragon , in recent past, how many dogs born in AKIHO LA have been sold with a breeding contract? It is my understanding that this doesn't happen to often. What factors need to be determined before a breeding dog is sold?
  • @mapletwinkie when you say breeding contract, do you mean to have full rights to the dog or to co-own? (I'm interested in you're question either way! :)
  • @MapleTwinkie quite a few more than in other more established breeds. As a preservation society, we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot if every single puppy was spayed/neutered out of hand. I know a number of people at AKIHO who have intact dogs as first time AKIHO members who may or may not breed but the option is there. @jellyfart is one of them.
  • @jellyfart @poeticdragon I guess i'm wondering how it works too. I know there are spay/neuter contracts and there are breeding contracts.

Let's say for example, there is a breeder who sold a Moku female with known health issues as a pet on a spay contract. This dog is registered under AKIHO and let's say the owner decides to breed her. Is she breaking AKIHO rules by violating the breeders contract ? Would their pups be allowed to be registered under AKIHO?

Just curious! :)

I definately want to see more JA's in North America, however I don't want it becoming like some places in Europe (Eastern Europe more than anything) where dogs are just bred to other dogs just because they're JA's. I like to see breeders looking at pairing dogs because it makes sense and they're trying to produce better dogs. I mean, the whole point of preservation and maintaining pedigrees is so that we can use this information to guide us.
  • Yes Moku is a fault you would be breeding against the standard.

The branch has a code of ethics and we communicate that we are breeding through an ITB document.

I'm heading into work, I'll weigh in more after work.
  • Ouch @MapleTwinkie I live in Eastern Europe... the situation IS improving though you are mostly right...
  • First off, a long coat most likely would not be registered with AKIHO. Breeders in Japan don't register them and I know a couple people here who also don't register pet quality pups. I'm not sure if a long coat can be registered but I've never asked.

Secondly, any breeder worth his salt withholds paperwork until proof of spay/neuter if that is what they are requiring of the owner. Even if they do have the paperwork, the owner is not necessarily the registered owner under AKIHO and therefor cannot register any puppies. To be the registered owner they must become an AKIHO member and the breeder must transfer the pedigree to them -- doing so is tantamount to giving permission to breed the dog, so I don't see why a breeder selling as pet quality would do that.

I haven't seen other breeders' sales contracts so I don't know what they require for an intact dog. Some may simply rely on the AKIHO rules that the owner must agree to in order for the dog to be transferred to him, and refuse to transfer a pet quality pup until its been sterilized.

Keep in mind though...... if a breeder doesn't trust a buyer, why sell to him/her at all?
  • edited January 2013
    @poeticdragon Cool, thanks that makes sense now. I guess I was just wondering what safeguards there were in AKIHO to prevent or discourage unscrupulous breedings. Part of what I really like about AKIHO is the standards of quality and responsible and knowledgable breeders.

@white_bear sorry, I didn't mean to put anyone down. There are good and bad breeders everywhere. :)

I like the idea of having the option too with my dog. @jellyfart , Toki is turning out to be absolutely gorgeous, i'm glad you decided to keep him intact.
  • @MapleTwinkie no worries, I know.
  • @poeticdragon... I asked to have Meichan registered b/c me and my vanity wanted AKIHO papers to brag that this moku midget JA is related to her gorgeous parents and siblings...
  • @rikumom Okay, so that answers that -- its possible to register a long coat. I wasn't sure.
  • In the past we have registered some Moku. It is not the norm and is usually reserved for when it looks like the person will be a member for some time. Now that we have UKC and limited registration it would be somewhat less.

In Akiho it is generally accepted that you need a witness(member) and/or photo of the tie. So if you bred Moku and someone asked about the tie you could be in trouble.

Once again it comes down to why are you in a preservation society based on tradition and then decided that you are going to do what you want.

@mapletwinkie Safeguards, just like in JACA Akiho has a COE. For Los Angeles branch members are required to submit an Intent To Breed Form. It is a simple document, that gives us the names of the people involved, pedigrees, photos, and is signed off of by a board member. We use the same JACA form.

99% of them are approved no real questions are involved. I take each one and plut the sire and dam into our database. See what a sample pedigree would be like -usually around 5/6 generations.

We don't really tell breeders what to do, other than we expect our COE(code of ethics) followed.

One of the safeguards that headquarters has in place is that when a breeding is done, the sire and dam need to be in their respected owners names. So for example, if I had a female that I bought from someone one, I would have to transfer her Akiho pedigree into my name before I bred her. You also cannot register a litter with a kennel registration and an active membership.

They don't really do DNA testing in Akiho. BUT I do know that a past branch president had doubts about a breeding and they did DNA test.