Tooth Brushing

I don't brush my dogs' teeth.

I once toyed with it- I bought a strange round-handled dog toothbrush, and CET chicken flavored dog toothpaste. Despite my slow, cheerful patient approach, Sage thought this was silly, and I kinda did too. He bit the brush like I was offering him a toy. Sage has fantastic teeth to this day despite me giving up on brushing his teeth. Reilly has horrible teeth- stained and worn down to nubbins- which is what prompted me to try brushing Sage's teeth in the first place. I found out that greyhounds (and thus presumably some of their mixes, like Rei) frequently have soft teeth and dental issues and decided that the whole issue was genetic. Sage looks awesome- his teeth are large and white. They eat and enjoy the same foods and toys. Whatever.

Juno has some staining on her back teeth, so now I am revisiting the issue, because she is young and I can work with her. She will let me handle her mouth and touch her teeth with my finger, and probably one of those dental pads you wrap around your finger and wipe the dogs' teeth. She may tolerate a finger brush- like a thimble with bristles? but the long handled toothbrushes seem too much like toys and they just bite at them. I could get a child's toothbrush. I mean, really, what makes a 'dog' toothbrush? a child's brush is soft.

Are the pads any good? What have you tried and disliked or liked?

I have soured a bit on nylabones, I dont feed enough raw bones to make a difference, and we do feed greenies but not like every day, or even every week. I feel silly brushing a dog's teeth- I am old school that way- but me feeling silly pales in importance to keeping Juno's teeth clean and her healthy and happy.

Tell me: what do you know?

Comments

• edited January 2013
    @WrylyBrindle I am of the exact same mind. My dogs also think the brush is a chew toy and I don't give them greenies terribly often. I do use the "thimble with bristles" and they accept it but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. We also have their teeth cleaned whenever we take them to the groomers, but since having more dogs grooming appointments have been further apart to stretch our funds. It may be time for a professional dental cleaning at the vet's, at least for my eldest girl. I've been delaying because sedation makes me nervous.
  • This is one reason I'm getting back to raw (soon). I'm gearing up for a big, full day of raw-food-making for dogs and cats.

I do have one of those finger-cover bristley things and I brush the dogs' teeth occasionally. Rakka loves it, and Sosuke seems okay with it. I started when Sosuke had some weird spot on one of his teeth. I still don't know what it was, but it's gone now and they both have good, clean teeth.

I have a dog toothbrush as well, but I don't use it. They think it's weird, whereas they don't mind me sticking my finger in there.

I tried to read about brushing dogs' teeth to find out what exactly was necessary and everywhere I read said to brush them every day... which I find completely ridiculous. I've concluded that since I can't get a reasonable answer, I'll just do whatever keeps their teeth clean and free of plaque. The vet looks at their teeth at their check-ups and says their teeth look good.
  • edited January 2013
    Well, since Hana's teeth-capade, the doggy dentist has advised me to brush Hana's teeth at least once, if not twice a day. She also advised against using the nylabone chew things to get her teeth cleaned, or giving her a bone or antler to chew on. She said they actually can do more damage than good. Maybe this is because Hana is young and her teeth are still fragile? Instead, she advised giving flat rawhide to chew on as safer for chewing/teeth-cleaning, not as an alternative, but to go along with daily brushing. It's mostly her molars that I need to focus on because Hana's mouth is small and she has crowding, so after her follow-up with the vet next week, if everything is well, I will have to start the finger brushing with Hana. I don't know how well or consistent I can brush her teeth, but I'm aiming for at least every other day..
    (Hana's teeth are pretty clean despite the recent cavity discovery. Her mouth doesn't stink at all, and I make it a habit to check how her mouth smells... for fun.... cause I'm gross like that... -I also like to smell the inside of her ears-..... I know, I'm SOO gross... please don't judge me!! D:)

*confession* I really love the way dogs smell!! And Hana is weirding me out because she has NO smell *end confession*

Hana is pretty okay with letting me handle her mouth, and the vet suggested a technique: lightly pinch the cheek and pull slightly to give room for my fingerbrush and go in blind so I'm not over-stretching her mouth.

(Hopefully SOMETHING from my rambling is helpful)
  • Not gross! smelling their ears is important- if they get yeasty, you'll know before it gets out of hand. No judgment here! Good on ya! (well, I guess that's a judgement- but a positive one! :) )

If I manage to get into tooth-brushing, I am sure it will be at most on the frequency of nail trimming, which is weekly, or every other. I think chewing is important for dogs, and I lament that they eat their non-bone meals so quickly, but the nylabones were part of Reilly's problem (though Sage is unaffected, but chalk it up to 'dogs are different, know your own dog' I guess) so I dont know...does a bully stick impart any dental benefit?

Matsu is the first of all my dogs to enjoy chewing on knotted toys...Nuts for Knots, etc. so I think that's nice, though I kinda doubt the supposed 'flossing' benefit...
  • edited January 2013
    I brush my dogs' and cat's teeth every day. I think it's because I work in an oral surgery office and we see disgusting teeth daily. You just need to brush outside the teeth. The inside gets care from the tongue.

We use crest 360 brushes because I get them for cheap.

• edited January 2013
    Teeth care is SOOOO important. My previous dog had horrible teeth, and had to get most of them pulled, and he developed another problem where he'd drool so much that this chrystalized drool substance would form around his mouth area and it was so painful for him. Pain was evident because he was really sensitive about us touching his mouth area, and everytime we cleaned his mouth, (which was very often, and we had to use medicine and cleaning solution prescribed by the vet) under the crust, it was red and sore. :(

I think even for humans teeth affects your entire health! Healthy teeth = healthy body = happier you :)

ps: I forgot to ask the dentist about bully sticks actually... I wanted to because Hana loves them, but flat raw hides are similar so.... possibly!
  • edited January 2013
    Bowdu seems to have excellent teeth by design and diet. Exhibit A:

Clean teeth

Not bad for an 8-year-old dog, huh? =) We used to give edible dental chews like Greenies and Zuke's more regularly, but I started to feel like they weren't worth the cost if the intention was to improve their dental health, especially not Greenies. Bowdu will work through some pretty tough bones, and that has done wonders for his teeth.

Bowpi, as a sighthound, is significantly trickier. She came to us at about 5 years of age having eaten mostly soft foods and obviously never having her teeth taken care of. I started giving her PlaqueOff, a daily dental supplement, giving her hard food, dental chews, and eventually transitioning to raw and meaty bones, and that helped knock off most of the plaque. It was totally caked on though, so since it was SO bad, it was a lot easier to see improvement, I guess. She still needed to go in for a full dental. After that nearly $500 procedure (this is including a 20% discount and WITHOUT any extractions, mind you!), I was convinced that I should be more proactive about taking care of her teeth.

Ideally, I brush her teeth twice a week and offer some other dental-related thing at least three times a week, as well -- a raw meaty bone, a chlorhexidine coated dental chew (I get those Virbac strips too, the only rawhide we give anymore), or a dental rinse. There are a bunch of products out like Tropiclean gel that claim no brushing is required, but I'm not ready to accept that at face value. Some brushing is necessary for Bowpi, I think.

That said, she is really, really squirmy and it's STILL difficult after all this time to get her back teeth. She doesn't hate the process. The toothpaste is quite yummy, after all! She just has the most dexterous tongue ever and is really good about licking the toothpaste off before I even make contact. The finger brushes are too big and awkward for me, so I just end up putting the toothpaste right on my (clean) finger and rubbing her teeth. My vet said that contact was more important than scrubbing, so if I can just make sure the toothpaste touches her teeth, the toothpaste will do its job.

Bowdu is actually more tolerant of tooth brushing, even though he doesn't need it! I don't bother with him, though I'll occasionally smear some toothpaste at the base of his upper canines, because that's the ONLY place he has any significant gunk.
  • sorry, I am of no help as I don't brush any of the dogs teeth now. I use to brush my Eskie's teeth and my dad did it religiously every day. However, I feed a lot of raw and they get RMB so all the dogs have nice healthy white teeth.
  • I was pretty good about Kaiyas teeth until about a month ago. She will (grudgingly) let me brush for about a minute. I was doing 3x a week and will be returning to that now that the craziness is over. Because of her heart condition, my vet said she should never have a dental (she shouldn't be put under unless necessary) so that we needed to take really good care of her teeth. She also get lots of bullysticks (not sure if they help), RMB pretty regularly and eats raw.

Dental care is important, though I don't think you need to brush every day.
  • edited January 2013
    It depends on the dog. Mine all eat the same, get raw and bones and lots of chews, and one has worse breath and gets plaque build up very quickly. Her oral flora and pH is just different. I do scale her teeth and brush when I see any buildup, and use the CET chlorhexidine rinse. I don't need to take this extra step but once every few weeks. Since its so infrequent, I usually just do it for everybody at the same time as it's good practice for them and they like the toothpaste.

Greyhounds seem to be really plagued by bad teeth.
  • One of my Mom's dogs needs her teeth brushed a couple times a week, the other is fine. I don't know if anyone back home is keeping up with that...
    Conker doesn't need his brushed as long as he gets something to chew on every now and then. Raw bones work really good, as do some nylabone things but I am wary of the nylabones and only let him have one every now and then. I don't use rawhide stuff, Conker reacts bad to it. If he needs it, I'll get out the tooth scaler but that rarely happens.
  • edited January 2013
    I think it is a crap shoot as far as which dog builds up plaque or will have dental issues even among the better bred dogs. Yeah agreed body chemistry varies a lot, and medically if you must medicate long term for particular health problems it seems to alter the bacteria and dental hygiene needs as well.

I do see an improved difference if a raw diet fed or partial raw vs. all canned meat or just plain kibble fed dogs. Meaty bones seem to help a lot.... We tend to use lamb shank bone with knee for the smaller sized dogs.

Use of tooth brushes appropriately sized for the particular dog's mouth helps also (itty bitty infant brush for the small jaws)….I just try to get the particular dog accustomed to using the brush as a chewy while holding the handle and rotating the bristles. Most dogs don't seem to object too much, apparently canine tooth paste has come a long way in the last 10 yrs and is yummy, so the dogs seem to indicate. Once or twice a week brushing seems what we manage to squeeze in here. Have had good luck with lamb ears too for chews.

Will depend if one has a local butcher or other home grown sources as to what way to go on the meats etc.

We have serious chewers and gave up on nylabones since one of the dogs cracked their teeth on them costing us $1100 in dental bills for fill-ins etc. In the end as the dog aged the tooth had to be pulled anyway soooo....moved over to gum bones.

Vet mentions hooves and hard nylabones contribute to most of their client business regarding teeth.

Snf
  • @curlytails his teeth are excellent!

Mochi has really bad breath. We recently changed his food to orijen puppy. Any suggestions
  • @zinja,
    Has Mochi finished teething? Meichan had funky breath while her adult teeth were coming in. We add a small scoop of ProDen Plaque Off with her raw green beef tripe in the morning and she gets dehydrated raw/kibble in the evening. Her breath smells like the ocean, mildly fishy but otherwise sweet :-)

http://www.international-dental.com/id/proden_plaqueoff_animal_faqs.htm
  • Mochi is not done teething yet. It smells like rotten eggs :(

I was going to being switching him to raw because Bowdu's teeth inspired me. I'll try the plaque off. Thanks!
  • You're welcome :-)
    If you are going to switch Mochi to raw, start w/ grinds or dehydrated raw until he's got all his adult teeth in-- the milk teeth will wear out fast if you give raw meaty bones or antlers, and supposedly cause adult teeth to grow crooked (I have no proof, just hearsay)