Gojira's Vocabulary

This is mainly reference for @Noxychu. :)

Never use her name to mean "no" or "bad dog." Honestly I am bad at this and slip up from time to time, issuing a low warning "Gojeeeera" when she's misbehaving. But you just got her so maybe you can break the habit before it starts! When she's starting to get into mischief but hasn't actually done anything yet (eg. sniffing your plate, hasn't taken the food) use "ah ah AH" or "uh OH." Keep "no" in reserve for truly bad offenses. I generally distract or give a mutually exclusive command if she's doing something she shouldn't, eg. if she jumps on something I tell her to sit instead.

You may notice there is no "come" command or its equivalent. A loud authoritative "come" has never felt right to me. It seems menacing and I always want the dogs to come to me when called. For this I just use her name, kissy noises, and party (happy / excited) voice. I crouch or get onto one knee which is good for attracting a dog to you and put my hand across my chest. I reserve her nickname Goji almost exclusively for come. Use it sparingly and never ever use it for a correction or to do a command she doesn't want to do. Goji must always means good, fun things. I cannot stress enough not to overuse it.

Every command should be issued only once. You'll learn more about that in your training class with her I am sure. But the more times you say a command the more she will learn to ignore it.

- Sit means "sit your butt on the ground."
Hand sign: four fingers straight, thumb meeting in the middle, palm up at chest height, raise towards your head.
Only used when Gojira is standing still with all four feet on the ground. If she is in motion, lying down, or up on something she shouldn't be, get her standing first.
She is expected to sit (without a command) and wait to be given permission before eating dinner or going through a door. If she doesn't sit automatically, tell her to.
She is not expected to sit every time you stop walking on a leash. This is common in obedience classes, but undesirable for show handling. Don't correct her for not sitting.
We've been working on going to a sit from a down but have not been very successful.

- Down means "lay down on the ground."
Hand sign: four fingers straight, thumb meeting in the middle, palm down at waist height, lower towards your knee.
Only used when Gojira is already sitting. If she is standing or in motion, stop her and get her to sit first.
She should not go into a down after being told to sit, but sometimes gets lazy. Don't accept a down when asking for a sit.

- Off means "take your paws off of that."
Hand sign: point at the ground.
Only used when Gojira is up on a bench, table, chair, etc or when she has jumped up on a person for hugs.
This command is not negative or a correction; don't treat it as such. Sometimes we ask her up onto things and then off of them.

- Up means "put your paws up on this."
Hand sign: pat your chest or the object.
This is the only acceptable time she is allowed to jump up on someone. If you did not invite her up, do NOT pet her or reward her. Instead, step away and ignore her.

- Backseat means "get into the car."
Hand sign: pat the seat or floor of the vehicle.
This is a specialized command for up. Cars are different than other objects thus the different command.
After being put in the back seat or trunk she will be secured into a seatbelt harness or crate. The doors will close and the vehicle will move.

- (Go To) Bed means "get into your crate and lay down."
Hand sign: none. Hold the door of the crate open and guide her inside.
This is what we use to put the dogs to bed every night.
Usually they will go to the correct crate and get inside if the door is open. It will take time for her to learn her new crate in your bedroom.

- (Go To Your) Run means "go stand by the door of your run to be let in."
Hand sign: none.
This is what we use to put the dogs out in their kennels for meal times.
She goes straight to the door of her run and waits patiently to be let in. You will never need to use this one.

- Out(side) means "go outside."
Hand sign: none. Go to the door and open it.
This is used to send her out onto the back patio or into the yard. It can also mean get out of this room.

- In(side) means "go inside."
Hand sign: none. Go to the door and open it.
This is used to send her into the house. It can also mean go into this room, dog run, or crate.

- Back (Up) means "get out of my way."
Hand sign: none. Use a door or foot to get her to back up.
Used when going through a doorway or other narrow space and/or carrying a lot of stuff and the dog is in the way.

- Wait means "not yet; wait until I say so."
Hand sign: fingers and thumb flat a few inches in front of her face.
Used when you are standing with her such as waiting to go through a doorway or be given permission to eat her dinner.
She should not sit, down, or stand up after being told to wait. She must stay in the same position she was in when the command was issued.
If you're going to walk away from her, ask her to stay.

- Stay means "stay here in your current position."
Hand sign: fingers and thumb flat pointed towards her face (same as "wait" but from further away).
Used when you have taken a few steps away from her and want her to remain where she is until issued another command.
She should not sit, down, or stand up after being told to stay. She must stay in the same position she was in when the command was issued.

- Leave It means "leave that alone."
Hand sign: none. Lightly pull on the leash.
Used when she initially shows interest in an object or animal she shouldn't be bothering.
Distract her or pull her away after issuing the command. Do not give her the option to ignore it.

- Give means "give it to me."
Hand sign: none. Gently open her mouth.
Used when she has something in her mouth that she shouldn't.
Take the object out of her mouth after issuing the command. Do not expect her to drop it but she will release it.

- Hold means "hold still."
Hand sign: none. Gently hold her muzzle.
Used when checking her ears, nose, and eyes or cleaning her face.
Mainly this is so I clean goobers and tears off her face.

- (Show Me Your) Teeth means "hold still I'm going to open your mouth."
Hand sign: none. Gently spread her lips to see teeth without opening jaw.
Used when checking or showing her teeth.
Mainly to get her used to this for dental checkups or in the show ring.
I do not normally ask her to hold first, but you can.

- Stand means "stand up and hold still."
Hand sign: none. Lure or lightly pull forward with one hand on her belly to prevent laying back down.
Used to get her up from a down without going for a walk.
Mainly for stacking in the show ring or allowing her to be inspected by a veterinarian. She isn't very good at this one.
Most of the time you will want her to move after standing up, in which case let's go is a better command.
She is expected to stand every time you stop walking when she has been told to heel.

- Let's Go means "walk with me casually."
Hand sign: none. Start walking away.
Used when moving briskly and she is allowed to meander and sniff things as long as she stays close.
Pat your thigh or reissue the command if she gets too far or slows down.
Walking away from her is the absolute best way to get her to come back to your side. It saved her life once.

- Heel means "walk with me close and strict."
Hand sign: none. Start walking and correct her if her head gets ahead of your knee.
Used when she needs to stay close and under strict control.
Honestly I've rarely had a use for this outside of obedience class. For that reason, she's not very good at it.
When you stop walking she is expected to stand (not sit).

- Pick It Up means "pick up the pace."
Hand sign: none. Start jogging faster.
Used when she is dragging her feet or pausing to sniff stuff when she is supposed to be walking.
Can be issued after a heel or let's go. She is expected to run to catch up, but if already told to heel, not go past.

- Okay! means "you have my permission."
Hand sign: none. Make sure to use a very excited voice.
Used to release her from another command, eg. sit, down, wait, let's go, etc.
This is also used to give total freedom on a long line to run around and not stay close to you.
She is allowed to do anything she wants when given the release word, so don't use it to transition between one command and another.

- Good Potty! and Good Shake Off!
These are not commands but acknowledgements that she did something right.
Always acknowledge and reward going potty where she is supposed to and you may be able to ask (not command) her to go potty when you need her to.
Always acknowledge and reward when she does a full body shake especially after a tense situation. A shake off is one of the ways dogs diffuse tension.

I'll add more as I think of them....

Comments

• Thank you very much!

I know I wrote them down in my terrible shorthand, but this is awesome and very much appreciated.
  • I just printed this off.
    Thanks @poeticdragon ! I'm truly amazed at how much there is to learn about puppy training. I doubt I'm going to be as enthusiastic or interested when I have my human babies...but oh well. LOL !
  • edited January 2013
    You're welcome I guess! These aren't necessarily the commands other people use but its what works for us. I know a lot of people who use "down" for both lay down and get off and it confuses me (and my dogs too). All of my dogs know the above commands more or less, since we use them constantly from the moment the dog arrives. Some know a few additional. Gryphon knows "paw" because she likes to paw at things so we captured that behavior for a cute trick. We're still working on "use your words" for Ghidora, who is very vocal at meal times. Mosura knows "hai!" means yes or good dog, used as our marker in the positive reinforcement class we took. Mosura was also working on "settle" to go to her mat and lay down and probably could learn a whole lot more because she's so dang smart. Bijozakura doesn't know the entire list above yet because we haven't done any formal training with her due to pregnancy and puppies.
  • Another fun one to add to the list thats similar is "go in your crate". Once that one is learned, toki grasped the concept of pointing as to be go on or in something. He knows crate, get in the car, get *off* the couch, get *on* the couch, and he used to go in your play pen. All have gestures simiar pointing gestures and he recognizes what to do in relation to where I am. (Like if im near the couch, he knows to get on it, and he knows knows to get *off* always follows being on the couch.)
  • We use (go to) bed for "go in your crate" and its listed above. :)
  • This is really cool, thanks for posting your list! Are the hand signals standard for showing or are they personal signals that you came up with?
  • Thank you! We use a lot of these but aren't consistant on the hand motions, which probably confuse Kaji. I also have to say I love your dog names. We've been trying to come up with a good Japanese name for our new dog and can't decide. So far, we've narrowed it down to Taisho, Shogun, Tatsu, Kabuto, and the ones my daughter likes- Ramen, and Kuma. It is so hard to find a good Japanese name that doesn't get butchered in the states.
  • I am taught Mochi and Eevee some Tagalog just for fun.

My Kung Fu Sifu taught his GSDs a mix between mandarin, English, and stances. For example, his "sit" is "Horse" and their "crawl" is "oo-guway"(turtle).
  • I love reading about people's dog vocabulary, actually, so this was super fun and interesting. They seem similar to what we do, too. And I tend to focus on hand signals, also, and not words so much, so my dogs know the hand signals....

But they do start to associate words with things, and sometimes that is funny. I ask the dogs if they want a cookie, so of course they know that word. But my husband always says "who wants something?" when he's getting ready to give them a treat. I never paid much attention, but the other day, I called my Akita and he totally ignored me. I tried "cookie" to no avail. Then I said "Who wants something?" and he came running! *lol*

We also had a funny version of crate words with my friend's GSD. She'd say "What's in the crate?" and toss a treat in there, and when he went in, she'd say "Gideon's in the crate!" and close the door. After awhile, if he just heard the word crate in conversation, he'd run into his crate and wait for his treat! *lol*
  • Awww that's so cute. What's in the crate? Gideon's in the crate!
  • @amti - website especially for Japanese Dog Names: http://japanesedognames.blogspot.jp/