Question about pup losing teeth

edited January 2013 in Akita (秋田犬)
After dinner, I heard some noise sounds like Happy was chewing on something I didn't give her. When I went to check her mouth, I saw she just lost one of the big teeth on the upper right, there was still some blood around the gum line. And the left one is shaky as I gently touched it. Her front teeth were replaced a month ago.

I know her teeth are still getting replaced around her age right now. (4.5 months) But what is getting me worried is that she is super tired and don't feel like want to play/move as she does normally. She was fine all day, playful until earlier. I know it must be painful for the dog, but was your pup showing such tiring look when losing teeth? Thks!

Comments

• I don't recall Kaji being especially tired when he was teething, but do remember him being uncomfortable and licking his inner mouth repeatedly. I took one of his regular soft chew toys (former plush) and played around with him for a while, put him down and felt his teeth. It was then I could feel one of his back molars were very loose and so he was using his tongue to try to pull it out. I flicked the tooth with my finger and it came out, and he was back to normal. I did notice during his teething period, his breath smelled a bit metallic, from the blood, and some of his toys did get blood on them. Puppies do sleep a lot though, so when he played, he played hard, and when he slept, he slept deep. Just keep an eye on Happy to see if she was just tired, or if there is something else going on with her.
  • My puppy was not tired from losing teeth. He had the same amount of energy before and during. He's just a sleepy boy. At first I thought his ear became floppy because of the calcium intake going to the teeth instead of the ears but my vet rejected that claim.

Adult teeth grow back in two days or so. The vet also recommended a hard stuffed toy such as knotted sock for teething. Puppies do not know they have to bite softer on the loose teeth so a hard toy will not work.
  • edited January 2013
    Thank u guys =) :D . After I woke up this morning, very first thing I did was to check on her making sure she was alright. she looked at me like she was ready to play. Her energy seems doubled today, lol, Her molars on both side are gone this evening.
  • I was doing my Frisbee training last night and Mochi was extremely hyper for some reason. So we played with a few short tosses in the house. He's still a puppy and uninterested in plastic discs so we're using a floppy disc and he's getting starting to like it.

Anyway, I then noticed blood was all over the floppy discs! One of his canines were gone! I then was expecting his teeth and noticed two premolars were starting to erupt. Poor puppy! I then brushed his teeth. It's important to start brushing his teeth when his permanent teeth begins erupting because he'll have these teeth for life!