Cauliflower Canker Sore

edited January 2013 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Hey folks, Happy new year!

I was brushing Moja's teeth tonight, when I found what looked like a massive canker sore. At first, it looked like a new tooth had sprouted all wrong out of her top gum line, but it was surrounded by what look like tiny canker sores.
Looking it up it looks alot like the fourth picture here http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_viral_papillomas.html

Anyone have any experience with this? It looks benign for the most part. Should I not brush that side of her mouth?

I'm taking her to the clinic tomorrow, hopefully it is nothing worse than the papillomas virus.
I keep telling her not to make out with everyone she meets, but she does what she wants anyway.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Two of my dogs (one was Juno- is Moja also out of Haru?) have had papillomas as puppies, tho ours were not that much inside the mouth and thus were drier looking- they take a couple weeks to go away, but the solution is so easy- a sprinkle of vitamin C on their food! It only appeared once and never reappeared.
  • I have no experience with this. I'll ask Jen about it tho.
  • I finally took her to the clinic and they confirmed that its canine papilloma. Doesn't seem like its bothering her.

@wrlybrindle- yep She's Haru x Akashi, good to know about the vitamin C- I'll give it a week or so to see if they go away.
    @StaticNFuzz, thanks for the links :)
  • our vet told us that dogs tend to need prolonged oral contact for the transmission of CPV- and that it is most frequently transmitted via pups nursing...Sage had it as a youngster, and Juno too. But a little vit C (I had to grind some chewables up and sprinkle it) and it gradually went away. Never returned. I think it just presents with a young immune system.

We're due for some photos of Moja, by the way... :)
  • Oh Koda had these! It was horrible for me not him. He had a bad case. They took almost a month to go away. He ended up getting them all over his gums, top of his mouth, and mouth.

I know that Koda got it from puppy socialization and training classes. Those darn puppies always wanted to kiss him. The good news is, they all got it, and I was able to arrange puppy play dates with the infected dogs.
  • @WrylyBrindle I'd say you guys are overdue :) I'll post the fall photos soon.
    @tjbart17 Yep. That sounds pretty awful. Moja has it two spots, hopefully it won't spread any further.

I'm still itching to brush her teeth, its been over a week! I might just do the parts that are not affected.