Happy / Momoe (Pics Update 12-28-12)

edited December 2012 in Akita (秋田犬)
I saw some other members here sharing pics of their "kids" every once in a while, so I thought I wanna post some too. =) All the pics here are taken by my phone.

IMG_6113_zps94318a73

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Comments

• So lovely... How old is he/she?
  • She's about 4.5 months now
  • pretty good for phone pictures mine doesn't take great ones..

Love your akita very beautiful. :)
  • She is very cute :)!
  • I love Happy!!
  • She is so cute! I love the last picture :)
  • So cute, thanks for sharing
  • Thks guys, my main concern for her now is socialization. I'm taking her out as much as possible. I wish there were more JA or other Nks meetups in LA area.
  • Actually there should be a decent amount of JA in LA and cali. Most of the jA breeders are in cali somewhere. I actually have no idea where LA is in cali but I assume it is where everyone is who lives in that state. Im from texas.
  • I think the majority of the breeders/picnics/and shows are all in LA. are you coming to the feb show?
  • KyleLin! Where did you get your pup from? Kenji?? She looks so much like my pups... perhaps her daddy is Kita? And also, I think you are AKIHO member, right? We have many events for the members and JA to get involved with. FB friend me: Judy Cho Takamatsu. And finally, as far as socializing... no need to look for JA... take her everywhere and anywhere that allows dogs in general. I go to lots of restaurants with patio. Coffee shops. You can also look into dog care/puppy classes as well.
  • Yup Judy hit the nail on the head. Once you have all your shots done, start finding dogs to play with and lots of them.

Plus the branch has plenty of activities as well. The show is in Feb, Pet Expo booth in April, Picnic in June, Nisei Week in Aug, Picnic again in Oct.
  • @kylelin,
    Others may disagree, but we don't believe in dog parks for socialization. Too many absentee parents there plus some dogs get territorial with the park when a newbie shows up. Pup socials/classes are great for teaching bite inhibition before their adult teeth all come in, Daycare is an excellent way to get your pup socialized with adult dogs, while minimal effort on your end. You don't have to go everyday or full day, treat it as play group with older dogs in a supervised setting, the key is to go to the same one(s) so Happy can figure out who she likes to play with and doesn't... Granted, Meichan did pick up some antics (demand barking, humping) from daycare that quickly went away...
  • What a beautiful dog!!! Love the puppy pictures!!! Thanks for posting them!
  • edited December 2012
    @dogmom8, yeah I got Happy from Mr.K in October. =) Her mother is Sakura, and I never saw her father yet. I like ur idea of restaurants and starbucks with patios, never thought of that. So far, she only sees some other dogs in petco and petsmart, she seems very curious about them and I'm setting her up in puppy class for her.

@JackBurton, Thks for letting me know the activities in Apr and Aug, I didn't know about them. Excellent!

@rikumom, Thks! =) I totally agree with ur opinion about dog parks. I don't really take Happy to those places. I'm setting her up to go to puppy class for once or twice a week. Happy still has demand barking when I am having meal. lol, so I would tell her to sit down and give her those little diced apple for treats. lol

@king_bidgood, I'm trying my best to go to the show and see everybody. And u? =)

@jellyfart, are you close to houston? i have a former US army friend there. He seems becoming interested in JAs after he saw mine in pics. (just saying...

@MaxsMom, thk u. =)
  • @kylelin, take a look at my FB and Junketsu Japanese Akita FB as well. You will see your pup's dad, Kita, and lots of her half siblings. Rikumom's Meichan is also Happy's half sister by Kita. :) I also keep in touch with Happy's full sister who is in Malibu. Try to come to all of AKIHO's events, especially the show in Feb. Pet expo is wonderful event for young pup to go. Club picnics are just fun to hang out with other JA people. Since you are a member of AKIHO, you should be getting the newsletter with future events, if you have not, please let me know by FB messaging me.
  • edited December 2012
    @dogmom8, I do receive the newsletter before the events. Thanks a lot! :) I would definitely try to come to all events. I think Happy will be super excited when seeing so many other JAs around.
  • @kylelin I live in Dallas but I am from south of Houston, so I frequent the area from time to time. If your friend is seriously considering a Japanese Akita, there are two breeders just south of Dallas along i45. That is only about 3 hours away from Houston, depending on where he is located and they definitely don't mind people visiting their dogs.

Some good places to take dogs:
    Bars. Many will allow dogs on the patio.
    Restaurant patios that allow dogs
    Coffee shop patios (Starbucks, like already mentioned)
    Home depot and lowes
    Malls. I work in a really fancy mall that people bring their tiny hand held dogs to all the time. Though, one time I saw a real dog walking around the mall on a leash. so fuck it, take your dog to a mall. I'm gonna do that with my next puppy and it'll be the best socialization ever
    Shopping centers
    Farmers markets. (maybe not, but I've been to a few and haven't got kicked out with Toki)
  • @jellyfart Yes on the mall... outdoor mall for me. It's a wonderful place to take a dog for socialization.
    Farmer's markets didn't let me take my pups in... health code reason crap.
    There is a website called www.dogfriendly.com and we use it alot when we go out to eat... especially dining out to celebrate furry kids birthdays.
  • 2nd @dogmom8 on outdoor malls. Lots of stores these days put it on fine print that pet animals are not allowed, only service animal allowed.

There's a reference book on where to take dogs for specific states/regions too, kind of like Frommers for dog friendly places. We have the California one but I found it to be focused on parks, dog parks and beaches, and not as useful for dinning/lodging:
    http://www.dogloverscompanion.com/guidebooks/

A lot of times you can find stuff to do on your local news paper or dog magazine reviews:
    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-places-to-take-a-doggy-day-trip-near-la/

We really like taking the fur kids to college or school campuses too.
  • edited December 2012
    maybe i'll try pretending im blind by wearing the sunglasses and let Happy guide me in the mall....

@dogmom8, and @rikumom, very useful sites, thank u ladies. =)
  • @jellyfart, thks, i'd pass on the info if he asks again.
  • Dude. Get one of those fake service dog vests of amazon. Say you have anxiety problems. Done deal.
  • edited January 2013
    @jellyfart,
    Not sure if you're aware but service animals usually wear signage that says "do not pet" like this one:
    http://www.activedogs.com/product.php?id=63

and most people avoid bothering service animals so as to not distract from the handler's needs, it kind of defeats the intent for socialization if you do put a fake service vest on a puppy that needs socialization...

• I just wanna take a dog into Walmart cause your not supposed to. Baha ;)
  • @rikumom bahaha! Though, whats with the blue mohawk? (and good god i love peopleofwalmart!!!)
  • @jellyfat-- "Dude. Get one of those fake service dog vests of amazon. Say you have anxiety problems. Done deal."

ROFLMAO--it's a GREAT idea though, i never thought of it!
  • We are about to begin taking classes to make Eevee a therapy dog so I can take her to work (I work at a hospital) plus Eevee has brought great joy to my life and it would be nice to share her with children.