my amarican akita 6 week old?

My puppy doesnt like to be put on his tummy he grunts and stugles he will hold still for a min and then he struggles again does this meanhe is trying to dominate me or something other then that he pretty much is super chill and lets do whatever to him im very new to the breed ive done on line reaserch but keep getting mixed things some say there mean and bad around children and they try to dominate u and others say there wonderful dogs and the good with children not friendly with dogs there on sex and werry of strangers but dont really bite unless they have too

Comments

• He is not trying to dominate you. The whole idea of dominance is outmoded. He is a six week old puppy (though why you have a six week old puppy, who should still be with his littermates, is a bit puzzling). He is a baby. he knows nothing-he is like an infant. Of course he is not trying to dominate.

I suggest doing some more reading around here. Check out the threads on dominance on the NK side which you can find through doing an advanced search. Read the Ian Dunbar books I rec'd in another thread. Check out the information for people with new puppies on the Shiba forum, which will give you a whole lot of information your new puppy.

Ignore all the bs about dominance and don't worry about it. You'll get along much better with your dog if you don't listen to that.

As for children, it depends on the individual dog and how well you socialize your dog with children.
  • Your akita pup is 6weeks old?

What are your experience with dogs just curious.

I never owned an akita before so can't help much I've met s few American akita and I do like the breed..

Most puppies will not like being handled and put on their backs and so on. You have to work with the dog so they see it as a positive thing. not scary.

It's not dominance.

I know shiba tend to not like handling.. I worked with Saya from 8weeks old.
  • @glacierloveraa06 the puppy is not trying to dominate you!!! He is probably scared and feeling alone after being taken from his mom and siblings so early, you should show him he can count on you and make him feel safe and loved.
  • Thank u so much for ur help I have had large breed dogs all my life even helped out my local shelter when I was young just don't no whole bunch about the akita and I havekidssoi want to ease him right
  • Have you posted any pictures of him? I'd like to see the cute pup. :)

A positive based puppy kindergarten is good for training and socialization maybe try get into one?

How are your kids with dogs?

Puppies tend to be mouthy it's normal and with work and consistent training you can get through it.

Always monitor interactions between kids and puppy and correct the kid if they're too rough and be sure puppy is playing nice and with toys not kids hands.

I don't have kids myself, but Saya interacts with my cousin's who are young and with kids when out and about she has met toddlers and young kids she loves them.

As a puppy she was mouthy, but she never mouthed kids much mostly licked their crumb filled hands. She likes taste of left over animal crackers on the kids hands. hehe

How does the pup do with the kids?
  • He does really good with my kids he plays with them but he tends to grab my daughters diper but I always correct him my son just adores him and im not sure how to post pics
  • upload it to photo bucket. there will be a photo insurtion html code below the photo. copy and paste here

if that doent work, google html photo insurtion. sites will give you a line of code, use that. With the image location (from uploading to image shak / photo bucket/ face book, or some shuch site) put it in the spot specified in the line of code, copy and paste to the forum

if that still doesnt work, you can message me : 3
  • Hoe do u do that on a cell phone
  • edited December 2012
    If you have Iphone or Android u can use the Photobucket app. Then you must copy the static link there and write it like this:

< img src = "http://link.jpg" >

without the spaces between < > and =
  • I say follow shibamistress's advice. Give that tiny baby love and support.
  • I will i love my lil b