dog food

http://www.artemiscompany.com/index.asp

I know this person who owns couple pet stores(foods) and he has his own brand.

Any experts~ please check out the site and let me know if this food is good for akita.

I was feeding innova large pup and just switched to taste of wild.

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Hi @timkim,

I'm not an expert in Akita food but out of curiosity I took at look at the website, my local stores in NorCal don't seem to have this brand. What's interesting is they've taken the Royal Canin approach and offer food based on dog size (There're only a couple of dog food brands that do this) They don't seem to be going after the limited ingredient approach that is gaining popularity these days with breeds that suffer from either grain or protein allergies.

In selecting kibble, I actually prefer manufacturers who have their own facility vs. ones that outsource production. The later are the ones that get recall notices all the time, yet it's tricky to tell who owns their own manufacturing w/out doing some research. Innova is part of the Natura Pet Company, which got bought out by P&G a couple of years ago. I like Natura products. TOTW is manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods, which seem to routinely have recalls on their east coast distribution. Pet Food recall listing can be found at:
    http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/newpetfoodrecalls/#Dog

ps. Dogfoodadvisor has rated most of these brands
  • Sorry to make a question that is not directly connected with this thread.

I can easly find Royal Canine in my town, but the breeder which i got the puppy from told me that its a good food but not perfect for akita. What do you think?
  • @tajo, I don't have much experience w/ Royal Canine but perhaps your breeder prefers to feed Akita grain-free?
    Dogfoodadvisor's rating explains it contains controversial ingredients
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/royal-canin-maxi-dog-food/

I'll message you separately
  • I would never feed royal canine to any dog, akita or not. A good rule of thumb is to look at the first five ingredients. I see rice and corn. Nope. Don't need to read any more. Why would you feed your dog kibble with fillers like corn and rice? There isnt a reason.
  • Disagreeing on that point, @jellyfart, because its corn, wheat, and soy to avoid. Dogs need some carbs and kibble needs a binding agent, so I look for rice and potatoes to fill those roles. Also, Bijo freaking loves rice. ;)
  • Us Asians love rice... plus Royal Canin offers a veterinary diet, my pup mama Waka was on it for a while :-)
  • Dogs can have carbs but don't need them. A lot of raw diets are really really light on the carbs--if they get any--and dogs do well on those diets. I feed rice when a dog is ill only, just because I'm trying to get something easy to digest in them, but personally don't want to give a lot of rice, or a lot of any carbs, to any of my dogs.

Rice is fine, but I also wouldn't go with a kibble that had rice and corn in the first five ingredients.
  • We're totally moving off the original topic, though for all the carb bashing, I've been trying to cut out wheat from my diet since I read Wheat Belly:
    http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/all-i-want-for-christmas-is-my-health-back/
  • I agree with shibamistress.

"corn gluten meal" in the Giant adult kibble.. gluten is a by product of corn I think? Kids and adult cereal touts no gluten so why should dog's kibble have it?

I don't have issue with grains like rice, but it shouldn't be first ingredient.

Most low end grain inclusive kibble has by products of grains.

I prefer the kibble with grains to have whole grains.

I've fed kibble with grains no issue fromm kibble has grains I'm cool with it. I'm not into the corn since it is usually first ingredient I see corn as a filler.

Rice and potatoes are needed to bind the kibble like poeticdragon wrote though some dogs have sensitivies to potatoes too some dog just fine on kibble with grains..

Saya isn't into plain rice, but she likes sushi with rice eats it no issue.. I shared some it didn't have any spice or sauces just raw fish and rice. Yummy.. only way she would eat rice if it was mixed with ground meat, caned fish or cooked fish.

I made a casserole that is fine for dogs and people it had chicken, green peppers, zucchini, rice, and some cheese, also bit of chicken broth.

Saya and Bella loved it. I had put tiny bit of salt and pepper on my portion when I got it on a plate.

• Toki hates rice. He is abandoning his asian heritage, bahaha

But yea, what everyone posted after my post is way better stated than what I posted :)

When looking for non meat items, I look for potatoes, brown rice, ect... but I def dont want to see these ingredients as a huge main ingredient. Corn in kibble, though, is pretty much a no-go for me. And personally, I think Toki does best on a high-protein, grain-free kibble, so I'm looking for high quality meats over everything else. Thats why when I looked at Royal Canine I said, nope.
  • @tajo Your breeder is right, stay away from Royal Canin for Akita!! It gives a growth boost that is horrific for their development.
    As I mentioned in another thread, we feed raw, but some of the puppies that left us are on kibble. We usually recommend Taste of the wild or Pro Plan - both with salmon (or lamb). I agree with @poeticdragon when it comes to grains - look for rice or potatoes. All of our dogs love rice too. And ocean fish :-) Very Japanese of them. However they all seem to hate supplements based on algae. :-(
  • Here's an example of a kibble I fed to Bella and give as low value training treat to Saya.

I'm not biased towards grain free only, but if your going to feed grain inclusive kibble should be of good quality corn gluten isn't good quality.

No need for more pms please I wasn't trying to cause any fights and I don't mean anything negative by the post I made above.

I used to feed Dink and my past three other dogs beneful and I didn't knew it was bad quality at that time..

When a dog is young you don't see the difference low quality kibble does to a dog.

At age of 11 she slowed down some still went on walks, but stopped playing with toys then age 13 got worse in worse so low energy only reason she got up was to drink, eat and go potty.

At age of 14 I finally convinced mom to switch her to better kibble.

Once dink was switched to better quality ingredient she had much more energy actually wanted to go on walks with us and played with toys once and a while also begged to be petted and massaged too before she would just sleep.

At age of 15 she slowed down some, but was still able to walk around and then when she made it to 16years old her arthritis and pain was too much so we had her put to sleep.

Here's example of a kibble that has grains, but I feel it's good ones.. I feed different formula then this one, but this is from same brand.

three meat sources then grain also no gluten in it like royal canine kibble.
    Duck, Chicken Meal, Chicken, (Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Oatmeal), Menhaden Fish Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Lamb, Potato, Tomato Pomace, Whole Egg, Salmon Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Cheese, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Alfalfa Meal, Carrots, Lettuce, Celery, Lecithin, Chicken Cartilage, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Chloride, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Carbonate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite.

If you feel royal canine is good fine by me I'm just giving my own opinion on things.
  • Talking about dog food, Saki eats Acana Grassland which is grain free. Do you think it can be ok for a puppy as well since I would like them to share the same bols?
  • I have read as long as it is an all life stages food that it should be OK to feed to a puppy.
  • edited January 2013
    Yes, all life stages food are fine for puppies. That's what we use. Its only "adult maintenance" or foods that say "intermittent or supplemental feeding" that aren't appropriate.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/dog-food-vitamin-mineral-standards/
  • How do I know if it's for all stage or not? Acana do have puppy food, but when I look at the nutritional info I don't see much difference with the adult food except for the amount of glucosamine.
  • Sachi, check out the link I posted. You need to look for the AAFCO nutritional adequacy statement.
  • Then this food should be fine. Thanks poeticdragon.
  • Didn't want to start a new thread but I do have a question on a new food, not yet discussed here. Has anyone fed Anamet, Aqualuk? The natures variety raw boost Sachi goes nuts for but its giving her gargantuan super mucous-y movements (it looks like the turd has a placenta), and since we are still feeding half raw I can only think its the kibble, nothing else has changed. She seemed to like the sample package of Aqualuk and dogfoodadvisor did it pretty well, but she just doesn't get as elastic about being served it. I guess I just want to know what yall nutritional experts think for a yummy fairly high protien, cheaper than natures variety alternative.
  • Anamet had a display table at Golden Gate Kennel Dog Show late January, but it's mainly distributed on the east coast and online.

RE: Nature's Variety raw boost,
    All NV dry and canned food and treats that I've checked (except raw frozen) include this ingredient " Montmorillonite Clay". I've seen neutral comments about it on Dogfoodadvisor.com, but one of the boutique pet stores I visit said something about clay absorbing the water and dehydrating the dogs' stomach contents. I kind of doubt clay has that much dehydrating power since the canned food are sitting in juice, but it's made me want to cut back on using their kibble even as training treats.

The mucous-y poop might have to do w/ too much protein, not enough fiber
  • Eh, it's alright. Nothing special really, but if it doesn't irritate your dog's digestive tract like the Nature's Variety does, then I'd probably switch for a bit and see if it continues to help. My general rule is that if the food doesn't agree with the dog's digestive tract, no matter how well I might like it, it's time to find something else.