NIPPO Classic 2013

Hey guys! I spoke with the organizer, and the NIPPO show is on for May of next year. It will be in Maumee, Ohio at the same hotel it was in 2011. All Nihon Ken are welcome, the judge will be selected and sent by NIPPO from Japan. The show days are May 10th and 11th IIRC.

I plan to attend with five Japanese Akitas if at all possible. I would love if someone else would come represent the breed (maybe I'll leave a couple at home in that case). I would also like to see y'all there and meet other members of this form and their dogs. What do you say?

In 2012 we spoke about having a caravan, but as I am going to be returning from Japan the Monday before the show I don't know yet how I will eat across country in three days. Still figuring that out, but I may fly or have a family member meet me there with the dogs. Regardless, I definitely can't commit to a caravan.

Comments

• I've been dieing to go to this as an observer, though I'm not sure if dogs not participating in the show can attend. Being that it's a 10hr drive for me, can't really comfortably leave them home or with someone. Though being that it's at a hotel, I could probably just get a room and leave them crated when at the show.
  • I don't think they mind having observer dogs. There were shiba puppies at the 2011 show maybe 5 weeks old in a pen by the ring, not being shown. There were a couple Shikoku there yet only one went in the ring.
  • I dont think there's any kai in NIPPO, though are there? It'd be fun to bring my 2 KKA/AKC Kai, and fun to meet more forum folks.
  • I think there were a few kai entered in previous years, and if I'm not mistaken Brad was planning to join the carpool last year before it was cancelled.
  • perhaps we need a Northeast caravan...
  • LoL that would be cool, we can all pack walkie talkies and be cool like that :P
  • I have a walkie talkie! and we all already have handles! :) "Wryly to Calia, come in Calia" :)

What do they mean by "ALL" Nihon Ken? really, ALL? or just UKC NKs?
    I think my spayed KKA/AKC kai and I would be there for the tailgating and socializing. Tho Matsu isnt neutered...
  • edited December 2012
    There were a lot of Kai there in 2011 when I went. They were the second largest group after the Shiba (it's hosted by a Shiba club).

By all I mean all six... Shiba, Kai, Shikoku, Kishu, Hokkaido, Akita. It's a NIPPO show (with a judge from Japan) not UKC or AKC. They do have an AKC assistant judge though. Hopefully a different one this year. All of the breeds were listed in the schedule/pamphlet although there were no Kishu or Hokkaido when I went, and I was the only Akita.

Being the only Akita did make me feel like a celebrity though. Everyone loved to see them. :D

Note that I am pretty sure American Akita is not included, but you could ask I guess.
  • LoL, forum names do make good handles :)

It's a NIPPO show, so it doesn't technically need AKC/UKC dogs to enter. I think this is a way to allow dogs in the US to get NIPPO CH titles and for breeders to get a better idea of how their dogs fit in with the NIPPO standard. I think the website has some information on how it works.

Being that it's happening in May, does this mean that Matsu will not be neutered? If not, you may want to consider entering him, I think there's a separate thing for dogs under a certain age.
  • To show at the Nippo classic, you do not have to have a Nippo registered dog. I will be there will several Kai. Do not know how many yet.
  • American Akita typically do not come to the Nippi show. Being judged by a Japanese judge tends to keep the AA away.
  • edited December 2012
    What hotel do they normally host at? Maybe we can make this a min forum meet up, ie. have some fun between show hours.
  • Im waiting to neuter Matsu as long as I find having an intact male is within my capability and management tolerance. The vet says he has both testicles and that they are right where they should be at this age for proper droppage, so - so far so good. One day at a time.

I have only ever been to one dog show, so its purely curiosity for me. I dont know anything about shows or show handling.

I like the meetup part! :)
  • LoL, so for kai standard his balls are ahead of the game :P

Found this photo album from the 2011 show, mostly shibas but there are a lot of great pictures of the other breeds as well: http://lyndabeam.zenfolio.com/f342280818
  • A mini meetup would be cool!

My firt time was in 2011 and it was only the second time I'd entered or handled a dog in the ring. It was easy and low key, just like our AKIHO show in February. But I greatly enjoyed the seminar the judge held the night before. Lots of gret info about the Nihon Ken and their current state in Japan and here.
  • @Calia omg Ghidora was so tiny.
  • @poeticdragon - 5 JAs? Did you cave and buy a van? :-)
  • LoL @poeticdragon, Ghidora has his own album...Love those ginormous ears, especially in this pic:
    Canine Candids by Lynda: Sweepstakes - Akita &emdash;
  • @ayk haven't decided how well get there. Part of the issue is that I decided to do a weekend in Tokyo just for the hell of it, May 3rd to May 6th. That really limits my ability to drive all the way to Ohio... Not impossible, but definitely crazy. Figuring out some bizarre round trip flights, dog shipping, swapping vehicles, kenneling... Etc.
  • I love ghidoras ears! This sounds like fun, I'm not sure where I will be...but I want to take kaiju!
  • It is always a lot of fun. I believe it is a baymont that it is held at.
  • We might be there showing a boy shiba (though not handling, that part is intimidating). We also need the go ahead from his breeders but I think they originally were thinking of showing him there before he joined his (spayed) sister in our home.
  • Handling for Nippo is the easiest to show. Anyone that wants to bring a dog, but is too nervous to show, I will gladly handle your dogs for you. I would love to see a good turnout from the other breeds beside Shibas.
  • LoL, I heard that the NIPPO style shows are easy to handle in, I've always wanted to try it but can't since I don't have any pups intact.
  • I second what @sjp051993 said!
  • Calia, I can probably find you a Kai to show.
  • Oooh May, that's just long enough for me to get my act together and possibly Kurenai...hmmm...maybe....just maybe.

Jesse
  • @sjp051993, lol that would be too cool especially since I haven't got to meet enough kai.

• I will have my entire crew there. Don't know how many I will enter. Just depends on what everyone looks like.
  • Hoping to convince brad or Jen to bring some dogs. Especially Kishin, I think he would do well.