Kira - Snowy Morning Walk

edited December 2012 in Other Breeds
This morning I woke up at my Mom's house in the countryside. The back of the house faces north and is built on a little hill overlooking a meadow. The sun was rising off to the right, and the color of orange and yellow were spreading across the snow. It was the perfect morning for a walk and a bit of hunting for Kira. Here are some pictures involving snow drifts, fresh pheasant and deer tracks, and beautiful snowy boughs of the trees.

Comments

• Nice pics, thanks for sharing! Kira looks like she's in her element!
  • Love the pictures! Kira looks very beautiful in the snow. :)
  • Lovely photos!
  • Thanks all. It was a beautiful walk : )
  • beautiful, love the combination of nihon Ken and snow...
  • So beautiful!!! Some of those photos are just absolutly amazing. I wish we had snow here in Texas.
  • I have to say, this dog loves snow unlike any I've ever seen. She is my girlfriend's dog, a rescue from a local shelter. During the winter she grows a thick, fluffy undercoat below her bristly outer fur, and even grows a bit more hair between the pads of her feet. It was about 20°F on the walk this morning, but I think she would gladly stay outside all day in those conditions. She's quite rugged : )
  • 27F here Saya and Bella enjoyed the snow was out in it for hour or two I didn't keep exact time..

Bella being a boxer she needs a good coat or she'd be cold. Bella loves it, but she doesn't have the coat like Saya so she can't stay out so long like Saya.
  • My Kais love snow and cold weather. It has been over -13°F couple days but Nuuk just wants to go for walks and stay outside.
  • Amazing pictures and a beautiful girl.

I'm confused though. Please excuse me but she looks like my neighbor's Pittie/Shephard/husky mix. The mix was verified as both mom and dad were taken to the shelter while mom was preggars.
  • edited December 2012
    Hey,

We're not sure what her breed is. She was found wandering around on a country road and no one ever called in to claim her.
    I have to say she doesn't look much like that mix as far as google images show:

http://goo.gl/Z2ue5

She has the typical guard hairs and thick undercoat of Nihon ken breeds, as well as a very calm demeanor and very little barking. At the shelter they said she was a Shiba, but she's 44 pounds, lacks the curly tail, and is longer legged and taller than the shibas I've seen. Maybe she's just a big shiba?

• Shibas can get big. My Shiba was 30lbs and was pure.
  • she is not a shiba, but has a lot nihon ken.
    and having fun, nice photo's.
  • Thanks a lot for the kind words everybody. Happy holidays!