OFA prelim

edited December 2012 in Akita (秋田犬)
Hi all.

My first step to breed Karin. I did X-ray today to send to OFA.
bit scary to put her in to sleep but She did fine.
Vet told me that she probably will get good or fair. not excellent. but I'm still happy with the result. I just need to send it out to OFA and wait for their result.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Comments

• Nice Tim - OFA is so subjective anything Good or better is well GOOD. Make sure you get the prelim report from OFA.

A quick tip to everyone that does hip xrays. Have your registration number added to the film. The majority of the time OFA doesn't care but every now and then the complain about that. IF you don't have it, it's ok cause the OFA form has a place for the vet to sign off on.

• Congratulations that her hips are good
  • nice. Thanks Sean. Great tip and will do for next one.

Etsuko- i didn't get anything from OFA yet. so will see. lol
  • @timkim, thank you for posting this picture. Gave me a better idea what/why pup needs to be under for hip x-ray. We decided to get it done while she's under for spay surgery.
  • edited December 2012
    @rikumom Any particular reason? Do you suspect a problem? OFA is not cheap and doing it under two years of age will only get you a preliminary evaluation instead of an official rating. Its accuracy for predicting future hip dysplasia at a young age can be questionable, especially since it is a subjective score. The information could be useful to your puppy's breeder if you do it as an adult, but I'm confused as to the reason for performing it on an asymptomatic puppy that will never be bred.
  • edited December 2012
    @poeticdragon, I'm not going through the entire OFA route, just getting the hip x-rays. I used to think there's no value in getting x-rays until the dog is fully grown, but the vet nurse advised that if a puppy has hip dysplasia, they're born w/ it and you can start treating it right away instead of waiting until they are 2 years old and bones stopped growing. I really hate putting my dogs under, so I figured we add the x-ray this time at a nominal cost for a peace of mind.

ps. my older shiba came to me OFA good rating but weak hocks, so he never enjoyed activities that require him to jump. I'm hoping to get a vet opinion on the JA pup before we start anything like agility... granted she's too young for it...
  • It will only cost you 100 more to get x-ray.
    so mind as well. you can do it if you want to find out.
  • I did Karin's early and she is 1 year and 7 months old. but i'm not sure that I will do it again to get official result. I think Prelim is enough. she is fully grown and I don't think it will get worst.
    I'm planning on tachi's prelim or actual OFA but I don't know when.
  • @timkim Good Luck with Karin! Puppy Time!!!
  • edited December 2012
    @poeticdragon, we just heard back from the vet, pup did great w/ the spay surgery but he was concerned w/ her gait being awkward... we both think she kind of walks like a chow chow. So he'll have the radiologist look at the x-rays and advise what to look out for

@timkim, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread!
  • @rikumom Okay, I get it now. Definitely good to check out before you do something strenuous.
  • @rikumom, no problem!!! don't mind and glad that you like this thread.
  • @timkim :-)
    Here's Meichan's x-ray, my vet did it all the way to the ankle
  • Nice!
    Looks good. what did vet say about Meichan's hip?
  • He said they're fine, though given the funny gait, will get opinion from radiologist. I'll keep you posted :-)
  • edited December 2012
    @rikumom Normally when I look at hip x-rays the legs are slightly spread, as in @timkim's pictures above. Your vet took them with the knees together. I hope that doesn't skew the results or make it more difficult for the radiologist.
  • Actually, I wonder if her legs are naturally like that... the vet and I have both noticed her gait is funny...
  • How old is he? he is still growing and I don't think you should worry now.
  • @timkim, she'll be 6 months on the 28th. The vet didn't think we'd be drawing any conclusions from the x-rays alone, she just walks like a chow chow
  • got my result yesterday. It came out as GOOD!! Yay~
  • Awesome!!!