Rose Water Spritz & Wild Salmon Oil (Kai Ken especially)

Hi everyone,

So on the FB Kai Ken page I said I would post this as soon as I knew more with Kitora. Well, I think we officially have great success with her coat texture.
She has been on the salmon oil since a few weeks after we brought her home so.... 9 mths (???) ago. Didn't *see* any real improvement over coat texture but did see reduced flaking of the skin until recently.
She just recently shed out her entire coat. Nothing left but guard hairs and even those exchanged after undercoat started coming back in. She has now almost finished growing in the most beautiful, soft, silky undercoat still with really nice thick guard hairs, but she is really divine to touch now!

The one extra thing that we started doing was 3-4 weeks ago (I think, sorry times a blurr for me right now) was I started using a Rose Water spritz on her tummy and really dry areas where I could get it down to the skin. Now, I make my own for my small little shop that I have but wanted to let all of you know about it as I know that Kai as well as some other NK have problems with really dry skin. My concoction includes rose water, rose essential EO, veggie glycerin and Vit E - it sprays on with a small pump spray. It has helped her tummy flaking immensely and dry skin itching!! She has very little now and when not rolling around outside in our dirt (wish it would snow more) she literally smells like a rose, lol.

Her coat is so lustrous, very comparable to Kunai's now too. They both are thick and fluffy and beautiful... I still need to get more pics up on their threads as Kunai is filling out and Ki's brindle is really showing thru!! :o)

Comments

• Thanks for this! This is great, and something I can experiment with on Leo! His coat is so dry! (At least he's past the "funk" stage. He had a stage a few months ago where he was just smelly for some reason, but that has passed!)
  • If your giving salmon oil and you Kai's fur has become soft, do you think I should be concerned for the same with a Japanese Akita? JA are supposed to have rough coats, and Toki's is, in my opinion, pretty bristly, and I want to keep it that way. Do you think that is just the effect with Kai or with all dogs? Cause it thought the fish oil would just make his coat more healthy and shiny?
  • @jellyfart - she still has a great "tough" coat - it's not like Mirra's husky hair in the least which is like down... it just is softer with a luster it didn't have before... before it was like a dry bristle pad or something. Her guard hairs are still nice and thick and strong with a courser texture to it - just not so dry.... a little hard to explain....
    And I guess I should say that I don't know if Kitora would have shed out better anyway - but it's the only thing "extra" we have been doing for her. In my opinion, it just seems healthier for her. The biggest thing I think that I can say for sure is that the spritz def. helped her dry skin flaking. :o) Hope that make sense!!
  • That's interesting about the rose water. Thanks for sharing!
    Conker gets salmon oil and it helps his coat tremendously, especially now that we are in Alaska and it's cold out.
  • My shikoku, Yoshi, has very dry skin. I have tried a waterless shampoo that has aloe vera and neem oil, but it only seemed to make him more itchy. Where do you find the salmon oil? How much do you give them?
  • Ah okay! That makes sense! Anyway, I'm glad to hear she has a better coat :)
    The rose water bit is interesting. Toki was kind of itchy a while back so wish I had some of that rose water stuff. Thanks for sharing! :)
  • Yeah, I think all these breeds are supposed to have rough coats, but not dry, itchy skin! I don't think salmon oil or spritzes change the coat at all, but they do help with skin issues! (or at least they should--not a lot of success for us with either yet, but I haven't tried the rose one yet!)
  • edited December 2012
    @yoshikoku - the brand we have been buying is at Petco and is called "Wild Alaskan" it has Rosemary Extract in it as well (I'm assuming for preservation) Kitora is a large Kai for a female so while she was replacing her coat she was getting 2 squirts in the a.m. and 2 in p.m. on her food (are dogs get kibble and raw - so I just squirt it on whatever she's eating) Now that her coat has come in so wonderfully I just have her on 2 squirts a.m. for maintenance. Directions are on the bottle too for smaller/larger weights. I'm sure there are some other great brands out there too.

My rose spritz I would just put on her whenever I would think about it and then give her a good belly rub to rub it in really well. Her tummy was of course the most notably flaky area. :o)

I keep thinking that we'll actually get some snow that sticks and then I can get really great pics of how good she looks.... grrrr

Oh - also, shampoo's of any kind are really hard when it comes to dry skin.... (I make all natural soaps as a side business) and no matter what kind of cleanser it is, it is extremely hard to not dry out the skin and strip oils....
  • @carabooa do you sell any of your soaps/rose spritz online?
  • @cdenney - I do, I have limited stock right now and have temporarily closed the shop (not making any new batches of things) to make time to get things ready for the new baby (8 weeks to go, yay!) but do have some inventory on hand... I'll have to check how much rose spritz I have (lol, I may have used most of it on Ki, haha) Would you like me to message you with what I have and our website?
  • Yay! I'm told the last few are longest weeks but two months will pass quickly. Yes please about what items are currently available for sale? Thanks!