Question regarding my puppy

edited December 2012 in Akita (秋田犬)
Hello,

Since everybody here might have a more experience than me regarding JA puppies, i want to know if you can predict the color of Tajo when he grows up, i have posted some pics of him here: http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/8046/tajos-thread-pictures/#Item_11

I see that his back is a little bit more grey than his head, you can see this pic

His father (1 year + 8 Months)

His mother:

do you think that he will be dark red like his father or he might be like his mother?

Actually this is just curiosity, I dont care for his color as much as i do for his health and temperament :)

Thanx!

Comments

• edited December 2012
    My guess would be more like his father, but that is just an uneducated guess.
    The grey will completely to away.

It's hard I say tho. Toki's litter he is from, (my JA), his sire is very yellow, not the intense red like yoir puppy's dad, and the dam is very, very diluted, almost white.

Toki came out as a pale-ish red, his sister came out with an intense red, (both are brindles), and his other red sister faded to a very diluted yellow.

Of course, Toki's litter was an outcrossing, (as opposed to line breeding), so the outcomes were not very controllable. When you outcrross, you really don't have a definitive guess because you have a huge soup of genetics and anything could come out of it. Usually people outcross to improve or redirect their lines.

If you want to google the genetics of red, google pheolomelanin (spelling?). It is an explanation of how intensity of red works.

http://colorgenetics.info/canine/content/dilutions-and-modifiers
  • edited December 2012
    I am impressed with how far the red pigment goes down your puppy's legs! That is a rare and good trait. :)

If you have a younger photo (under a week old - still in the "lumpy potato" stage) I could hazard a guess at how dark he will be as an adult.... Once they start growing their puppy coat it's hard to say.
  • edited December 2012
    Here is another good resource on red, and I prefer this source over the other I posted. You can make your own judgement from doing research. I understand it, but not fully enough to explain it with confidence or in detail.

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/albino.html
  • edited December 2012
    @poeticdragon:
    This is the only pic I have when he was less than one week:

I guess he is the one with the darkest color, near the nose of his mother.

What i noticed is that his head is becoming more red than one week ago, and it changed alot after the first bath...

@jellyfart:
    Thanx for the sites, i will try to do some calculations :)
  • edited December 2012
    Adorable! How many weeks is he in that picture?
    My JA pup went from dark brown to orangish-brown between 8 wks to 16, and now more red at wk 23 like your pup's sire.
  • edited December 2012
    Red JAs are born potato brown and turn orange starting at around 8 weeks old. As puppies they have fluffy grey undercoats that dilute the orange and make the true color difficult to determine. As newborns, however, the darker they are the darker the better. If your pup is the dark one by momma's nose, then I'd say he'll be darker than momma for sure, maybe as dark as dad.
  • Pic quality of sire and dam are different. both dogs are pretty.
  • @rikumom:
    Actually i dont have exact information how many days after birth that photo was, but i guess in the first few days.

@poeticdragon:
    I got the confirmation from the breeder that he is the darkest one on that picture, i can also confirm by the shape of the white marking on his neck. However I dont have any problems with the color of Tajo, I'm happy with whatever color it will come up in the future. I think that the most critical thing is his health, which for now we didnt have any problems with him and I'm happy for that :)

@timkim:
    Yes for sure, the photos of his father are done with a professional camera, since photography is one of my hobbies, I also notice that the photo of his father has increased contrast and vibrance which makes his coat look really dark. Also the coat of his mother looks nice, a little washed out, but however she looks big and apparently healthy.

thanx for the comments guys...
  • edited December 2012
    @poeticdragon, you're spot on, here's a comparison of mine at day 1, 6 weeks and just shy of 5 months
    She's the darkest blob in the lower left picture

• @rikumom
    Your puppy looks amazing, i love those fluffy ears :)
    Do you have any pic of her around 8 weeks?
  • edited December 2012
    @tajo,
    thank you thank you-- she's a long coat hence the fluffy ears. Here is a picture of my pup w/ her parents (dad left, mom right), at 8 weeks old, and another long coat w/ his parents on the bottom. Not sure how old that long coat is. I need to find out more about long coat grooming care, my little one has no guard hair and soaks up water when it rains!

ps. I did a contrast mask in Instagram w/ this last pic but otherwise the color is not enhanced
  • @rikumom:
    Thank you! All of them look amazing :)