Kameko: Updated 4/9 (New pictures,too)

edited April 2013 in Akita (秋田犬)
Introducing Kameko!

Kameko is the newest addition to our family. She arrived home at 3 1/2 weeks old (long story but I ONLY take pups this young when it is the best or only option for the pup).
She will be 7 weeks old tomorrow. She is awesome and we just love her. She is doing very well and seems to be pretty happy. She is healthy and the vet was impressed with her :)
When she arrived home weighed right at 2.5 pounds. She is now just over 9 pounds!!
She has a solid white body with a little red on her ears and a little black-ish around her nose and mouth. She is your typical pup- into everything, nothing is safe when she is on the loose, she is bitey, a bottomless pit, full of energy, and just the cutest little girl! She is very smart and really sweet.

We were not planning on another Akita at this point but sometimes things just happen lol
We were saving to adopt a Kai. I have wanted one for so long..... We have to put a hold on that plan for now and that's ok. Things happen for a reason and I am very happy to have Kameko here and wouldn't change a thing!

Now it is time for the pictures =)

my puppy at 1 week old edited

kameko eating chewie 124

kameko eating the chair 12412

Comments

• aww congrat!!! She is absolutely adorable!!!
  • edited December 2012
    Third picture reminds me of Saya she had a fondness for wood during her teething. :\

A frozen washcloth with a bit of peanut butter to encourage chewing it while I was with her kept her busy.

Cute pup.
  • @Saya, thanks!

She is hard to photograph because she is always on the move lol I have to snap pictures when she is chewing on something because that is the only time she is sitting still LOL
  • Congrats on the new addition, she's very cute! :o)
  • Just look at that pup! Too cute for words :~P
  • Congrats! She is super cute.

If you do not mind, I would love to know why you got her so young (not that I am not trusting your judgement, but I am very curious to know what others would constitute a good reason).
  • Kameko is so cute!
  • Thank you everyone! She is an overload of cuteness haha She is hilarious. When her feet hit the floor she is all GO and everything is her chew toy! I think it is cute and I am enjoying the puppy stage =)
  • Super cute!

Yeah, I wondered too....what happened, poor thing, that she had to leave her litter so young?

I bet it was a challenge with her being such a little thing.....But glad you have her!
  • edited December 2012
    @sunyata and @shibamistress, I didn't choose to get her that young (we weren't even looking to add another Akita right now LOL). We were contacted and asked if we would be interested in adopting her ASAP (actually they said one or more of the puppies). The momma dogs health declined rapidly: moderate-severe weight loss, low milk production, etc. One puppy passed away and the others were not thriving as they should and we decided that adding one of these pups to our family was what we needed to do. We are not in a position where we can take/foster a whole litter right now so we put other people (people equipped an knowledgeable in caring for puppies of this age) in contact with the owner as well to help get all of the surviving pups placed quickly. There is a lot more to the story but this is the short version and I don't want to post the "ugly" stuff here.

I do not know the owner of the parents other than the times we talked arranging the pick up and such and then I met her when we actually picked Kameko up.

I did do my research on Kameko's pedigree though..... She comes from good lines, etc. She should grow up into a healthy, well formed, stunning girl :)

I know you all do not know me well but I have taken many many pups over the years some were hours old and others were up in age. I was a vet tech for many years (Have been out of the clinics for a while now) and still get calls and emails regularly asking me to foster newborns/disabled/sickly dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc. I would NOT take in a newborn/very young puppy unless it was absolutely necessary. I am equipped to handle many different situations and I always have supplies on hand for emergencies (yes, I have made many middle of the night runs to rescue puppies or kittens from storm drains and so on) and I have a vet that we have used for years that is amazing and I also get my supplies through him. I love animals.... all animals and I do everything I can to help them.

Back in March we rescued 2 Miniature Schnauzer pups. They were 7 days old when we picked them up and they were so sick.... we did not think the little female would live. I didn't sleep for over 3 weeks lol They have both been adopted into awesome homes (family members/close friends). They had butchered tails (terrible attempt to dock their tails) and both of their tails were infected when we got them and so many more problems.... it was awful. And the home we rescued them from- WOW! Awful. They are both doing great and I get to see them often =)

Sorry for the long post ;)

• Is she a AA or a JA? I saw a few hours ago a white AA male... It was so big, his head was like double the size of a JA head. This are really amazing dogs...

The only thing I fear from white Akitas is that children might get close to them, since the white color dosent make them look dangerous to kids.
  • Great that someone knowledgable has taken her in.

How is her bite inhibition and dog-social skills?
  • Aww. What a cute girl. So glad you took her in.
  • @tajo, she's AA. My dogs are raised in my home with my children and (when the pup is vaccinated) we frequent parks, dog friendly stores, friends and families homes so they are used to children of all ages.

@ayk, thank you!
    From 4 1/2 weeks-6 1/2 weeks she chewed on and gnawed on everything and everyone lol She still does but we have been redirecting and using sound to teach her not to do it and she has improved so much over the last few days! She is still so young that I know it will be a while before she understands that I am not her chew toy lol She is so young that we are all she really knows and she does really well with my other dogs but, again, she is so young and so little that they really don't get to 'play' together because she could get hurt. She LOVES Kuma and Jerzzee though!

@sukoshi_mom, thanks! She's adorable and full of personality LOL I can't wait to see her develop :)
  • More pictures :)

Untitled

She loves Kuma and Kuma is so gentle with her
    Untitled

I know this is very blurry but I had to share. She got stuck on the chair when coming out from under the table LOL
    Untitled
  • edited December 2012
    Awww, i love her ears on the first pic, cuteness overload :)
    Keep on with the photos, she looks amazing :)
  • @tajo, thanks! As for pictures I could post hundreds :) .... I literally take thousands of pictures hahaha my husband laughs at me because I am constantly snapping pictures of the dogs, kids, pretty scenery, a cool caterpillar and, well, everything LOL
  • A few more pictures!

kameko3 121212

kameko1 121212

kameko4 121212
  • Sweet! I love white AAs, they are just special.
  • She's adorable and so soft looking :)
  • Thank you!

@cezieg, she is super soft :)
  • @Kuma123:

After this pics, apart of my Red JA, i want to get a white AA also... u are directly affecting my wallet with this pics :P
  • edited December 2012
    @tajo I love my white AA... she is the bestest!

image image

@Kuma123 Love the pics, so adorable :)
  • @tajo, LOL White AA's are so pretty! I think you might need one hahaha

@poeticdragon, your girl is so pretty but we will have to agree to disagree on which dog is "the bestest" ;) hahaha I woud argue that mine is the bestest ;)
    Thank you! She is adorable but at 8 weeks old she is a terror LOL
  • Oh, hah, I meant of my dogs really. She's the one that started it all. My friends regularly argue that if the zombie apocalypse happens and my husband and I don't make it, who will steal Gryphon first.
  • @poeticdragon, I knew that's what you meant but had to comment lol
    Your friends are counting on a zombie apocalypse so they can steal her?!?! hahaha That is great and sounds like something I would say, too!

Here are a few more pictures of my sweet girl. These were taken yesterday.

kameko4 121412

kameko2 121412

She was staring at the gate.... she really wanted out in the yard with the big dogs :)
    kameko 121412

And this is one of my favorites so far!
    kameko3 121412

• She looks so cute and curious :)