Trailer for a movie documentary on Australian Dingo.

edited December 2012 in Other Breeds
Here's a trailer for this it has views from different people and it's sad a lot of Australians feel such ill will to them.

The Dingo is vulnerable I'd hate for it to go endangered then extinct. The dingo can go from endangered to extinct in no time I think a sudden spread of disease or farmer over killing or poison and plus interbreeding with pets isn't good.

The howling reminds me of New guinea singing dogs when they howl I do thing singers and dingo share a common ancestor in the very far past coarse they're both different.

I'd hate for the dingo to go the way of the Thylacine or be like New guinea singing dog extinct in the wild, but in zoos, sanctuaries.

There is a zoo in Ft. Wayne Indiana that has dingoes I believe I hope to visit it someday.

I love dingoes of all kinds..

Kangaroo is a issue now like deer they're getting too overpopulated and like coyotes they will come into the town.

Hitting cars like deer which if you seen a full grown kangaroo in person they're huge! massive damage to a car.

They do a controlled cull on the kangaroo and it's sad. :(

I just shake my head if you stop killing the predator who is killing the dingo which eats kangaroo.

Here's full episode on the kangaroo show I saw on pbs
Kangaroo Mob. 49minutes or so, but interesting to watch. Very informative.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2185855527/

This issue with dingo reminds me so much of how people view wolves and coyotes.

I'm not some idiot animal huger who thinks wolves, coyotes, and dingo are harmless yes they're dangerous, but so are kangaroo and deer given the situation is right.

With farmers why not use live stock guardian dogs to deter dingoes from taking the sheep? A good live stock guardian dog is worth it's weight in gold.

In Africa they're using them to deter cheetahs which are a predator and Vulnerable too! It's a win win the live stock guardian dogs are well taken care of and they protect their flock.

I live in country and I don't go killing the coyotes for heck of it.

If they cause me issue or is hurting my dog sure! They run away soon as they see me. YMMV though some coyotes are brave or used to humans thanks to people who feed cats which creates issues as the coyotes will eat the kibble and in general being so close to humans loose their fear.

Coarse country coyotes are dangerous too.

Farmers will hang dingos from trees which is barbaric and sad. :(

They use poison which is disgusting as it can kill even pet dogs.

My guess hanging the dingo is to deter others from coming over, but does it work? or am I off on why they do it?

I mean if your going to kill something at least use the animal's pelt and skeleton. Seems like a sick waste to just hang them to rot.

I don't think the meat would be good, but pelt is beautiful.

Comments

• This looks interesting. I'd like to watch it when it comes out. Thanks for sharing the links.
  • No problem I can't wait to see it from looks of it shows both sides on people who want to protect the dingo and others who want to kill them and think of them as pests.

Which I'm sure they are, but there must be a middle ground where we can work with the dingo to teach them sheep equals bad.. :\

The kangaroo mob documentary was kinda interesting about how they go into cities coarse it causes a lot of trouble and damage to cars one even jumped into a house.
  • Looks like a good documentary. I'd hate to see the Dingo killed exterminated too, and it doesn't make any sense at all. It's true, they need control for the kangaroos, so why kill dingo?

You're so right--there must be a middle ground. I think there is a lot of room for sane predator management, but it seems each extreme can't or won't compromise. It's like there was a coyote hunt here in NM (basically a "bounty" hunt--the hunter who killed the most coyotes on private land won a gun), which got people crazy. Some people said they should all be killed, and then some people said never kill any and they are "harmless' which of course isn't true either.

The truth is in between, and I'm certainly not against some coyote hunting here, but not all of them! (I did learn from the news articles on the coyote, though, that Game and Fish estimates there are 300,000 coyotes in NM! Yikes! No wonder we see them all the time!)

• Yeah too many people are on extremes.. Coarse coyotes are not on vulnerable. Australian Dingo are which is to me more concerning as anything could happy just look at the Tasmanian devil! They've had some issue with something called Devil facial tumor disease.

I remember watching a show on that. It was sad seeing the affected tasmanian devils..

Tasmanian devils are endangered and it's scary. As scary as they are and sound they're very interesting and in some cases cute especially the babies..

Gotta thanks Looney toons Taz was one of my favorite characters.

• I live in an area of Australia where Kangaroos will come into populated areas. Not because of destruction of their environment, but because they are EXTREMELY over populated. I have had kangaroos in my front yard. I see dead kangaroos on the road everyday. I have seen horrific car accidents due to kangaroos coming onto the highway. I have been in a head on collision with two other cars at high speeds because of kangaroos on the highway. I have known people who have been killed in car accidents because of kangaroos on the roads. I am not in an area where any controlled culling is actioned.

We also have dingoes where i live but are very rare to see.

There are areas where there is no control of the population of kangaroos where i think there should be. We have major bush fires in outback Australia that burn for weeks at a time, devastating the environment and wildlife.
    I know someone that has had to drive around days after the fires have burnt out and assist with shooting hundreds of disfigured,burnt , injured and dying kangaroos, as it the most humane thing to do.

I have lived in Australia my whole life, and from my knowledge the killing of dingoes is not all that common in recent years.

I have been attacked in my parked car by a full grown male red kangaroo. One side of my car was completely smashed in. Male kangaroos are huge and extremely dangerous. Obviously i dont agree with the killing of any animal unnecessarily, but in some cases controlled culling is absolutely necessary.

Its more humane then a kangaroo being hit by a car and suffering and dying a very slow and painful death. Or dying from starvation because the area is so over populated.

Where i live the dingo is something of beauty, not a pest. But unfortunately the kangaroo is becoming a pest.

:-(
  • Geez iad a deer attack my car... Ppl hit them all the time here. Theyre overpopulated but almost everyone hunts here and the doe limit is like 3-4. One ran thru my dads office window IN TOWN once... Luckily at like 5:30 when there were no patients in the waiting room. We think he saw his reflection in the glass and charged it. Blood, glass and chairs everywhere.... He ran off so no idea how bad he really was hurt.