Frisbee/disc dog Training

edited December 2012 in Behavior & Training
Anyone have successfully trained a Frisbee loving dog? The puppy I found has little interest in Frisbee but I would love it if he played.

So far, I've been attaching the Frisbee to a string and letting him chase it around, serving his food from the disc, brought the disc out first whenever I give him treats, play rollers, and tug. I've even whispered "Frisbee" into his ears while he slept (I'm thinking of recording and replaying it on my phone... oh, and potty training.)

He does show interest in the Frisbee for a little bit but gets distracted with Eevee or just stops returning it. When this happens, I run to the disc and try to get him to pick up the disc and chase me back to the starting point.

Can anyone offer any advise? What age did your dogs show the drive for Frisbees? I want him to become somewhat obsessed where he would rather play with a Frisbee instead of receiving treats.

Comments

• Not quite the same object, but something I've learned with teaching Tikaani to retrieve a dumbbell is that eventually the dumbbell itself becomes a sort of reward. In the beginning, he had no interest in the dumbbell, he just ignored it. What helped was rewarding desired behaviors, such as biting or holding the dumbbell. Maybe trying something similar with the Frisbee could get a similar reaction. Though when practicing, don't hold the treats in your hand as that tends to encourage the dog to spit the item out (can't eat with a full mouth).

Though, even with practice, playing with the Frisbee may not your pups cup of tea. It's just like how some people enjoy playing video games, while others' prefer doing crossword puzzles.
  • Kaiju loves frisbees but he doesn't come back to me with it, he runs somewhere else, then play bows and expects me to run after him.
  • Juno and Sage love the disc! We play with a soft bite floppy disc, not a hard disc. and they love it because they love to chase and bite things- and to really unload themselve on things. I didnt do any special training- though the stuff you are doing- feeding on the disc, rolling the disc, etc. are things I have read about- disc play just naturally appeals to them I guess. I keep several discs out- they will return them many times, but my objective is catches.

At disc dog events- which we will never do- those dogs grab & spit most of the time, anyway.

And if we are having so much fun, even Reilly will come out and dance around for a disc- but she isnt a good catcher. Juno can tip it to herself and Sage makes NFL highlight reel end zone catches where you think he'll never get it but he twists and catches it on one fang behind himself. They both shake the bejeezus out of it after the catch instead of spiking it. :)
  • @wrylybrindle--great description...I was totally visualizing them! :)
  • One of mine loves Frisbees... Bella will happily chase, catch, and bring back a Frisbee for about 20 minutes before she gets bored. Nola, on the other hand, just wants to chew on it... Haha.
  • Some dogs are more easily obsessed with certain activities and/or objects than the others. However, everything can be taught if you really put in the efforts.

If your dog does not naturally show an interest in Frisbee, I wonder why you decided you wanted to do that sports with him?

Back to your original question - I do not do disc dog with my Shibas, but my guess is there are chasing, catching and retrieving the disc in the sports. You need to break things into smaller, manageable parts and slowly teaches each part to your dog. The smaller pieces have to be easily achievable, so the dogs can get a very high success rate and be heavily rewarded. You then back-chain pieces together to build a behavior.

For example, for retrieving, I teach my boy Koji to first show any interests in the object I want to use and reward him for looking at it, touching it and eventually, mouthing it. I then increase the criteria that he has to hold the object in his mouth for a bit longer, than raise the bar again to not only holding it in his mouth, but only release the object when I open my palm to get the object from his mouth. Then, I slowly add the distance of the object form me and how far he has to retrieve etc. As you can see, it is introduced piece by piece, so he understands each part, then link the pieces together.
  • @sandrat888, I think I'm doing great strides. At first, I did not have him interested in chasing the frisbee at all. Now, he will chase rolling discs but only is interested in returning it for about 5 rolls. I do not want to do flying disc tournaments, but I just want to do a few of the moves such as vaults... partially to show off at the park and I think it's a great way to get exercise. I play ultimate frisbee and he'll be a great buddy to practice my throws too!
  • Take smaller steps to build up the drive and desire for your dog toward the disc/Frisbee. The dog will be more aoursed and excited as he is constantly reinforced throughout the process.

I would also suggest you read up a bit on sound canine body structure. This would equip you with better knowledge to keep your canine partner fit and healthy for many years to come. With any sports/physical activity, there is always a risk of physical injury or unnecessary body wear and tear if the dog has bad build or not enough attention/caution paid to keep the dog well adjusted.
  • I'm not sure I can help as my Border Collie came programed to love discs. lol I skipped rolling the disc since my dog had to interest in a disc then. So all I had to do was throw her short throws (around one or two feet from me). I wouldn't throw right at her face, but off to one side since it was easier for her to catch. Eventually we worked up to longer throws, but in her old age she only wants to catch the short throws. She has never done epic jumps, something she was never inclined to do due to having arthritis at a young age and I never encouraged much jumping.

I did purchase this book a few years ago at a semi-local Skyhoundz sponsored disc competition (Disc Dogs! The Complete Guide by Peter Bloeme and Jeff Perry): https://skyhoundz.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=830309002258

I found the book very useful.
  • edited December 2012
    That book is great! I've read the first chapter and I'm going to buy it to read the rest. Thanks!
  • So... Mochi caught his first throws today! I began with him interested in paper plates. From plates it turned into wool Aussie Discs. I tried my westpaw design disc and was successful too! He caught five very, very short passes. I made him come 'round, then threw a small leading pass, which he ran and got in mid air! YAY! I stopped when he was asking for more :)
  • Awesome! youre on your way! :)