5 weeks old potty training!

We gave the puppies a puddle pad in the playpen just to start getting them used to the idea. Whenever they wake up they usually have to go potty, so I place them on the pad first thing and they use it. They go to it on their own to pee about 70% of the time when in the playpen, much more hit or miss (literally) with poop. But little Sabrina has started sitting in the whelping box and screaming her head off when she wants to poop, waiting for us to come get her and put her in the playpen so she can use the puddle pad. Such good little puppies!!

Comments

• Good puppy!
  • good girl sabrina!!!
  • It's kind of amazing to watch
  • Oh my god they're five weeks now, I can't believe it!
  • Good puppies.
  • Good puppies! Way to go Sabrina (I've had a soft spot for that little girl from moment one lol)
  • What's the idea or theory behind the puddle pad? How does it work and how do the puppies know to use it for that purpose? :)
  • edited December 2012
    The puddle pad is a place the puppy can potty without soiling its bedding. The puppies (and moma) are much happier having clean, fresh bedding. Placing the pups on the pad when I know they need to go (eg. right after they wake up) helps reinforce the idea. The puppies aren't big enough yet to take outside for walks, and their capacity is so small, they need something in the playpen with them always available.
  • Ahh, so you have to teach them to go there, then they associate the pee/pooing with the puppy pad. Thanks for explaining :)
  • Smart little pups! And so cute!