bathroom habits

edited December 2012 in Behavior & Training
Hello there,

I have 5 month old akita inu pup and i was wandering about his bathroom habits. I usually take him for a walk at night and he does nr1 and nr2 no problem. Sometime i also take him for walk at noon, and the same thing happens. He always does hi thing no problem. Now, im my place i have a little yard that it's always availble to him when he wants to go or if i have to leave him alone for a little while. He always does his thing in that yard too, im thinking, if i take him for a walk twice a day, and restrain the access to that yard, will he understand that he has to go when i take him out and not inside? I ask this because im getting a bit tired of cleaning the yard every single day. At 5 months i think still a pup and may not be able to control/hold things much right?

Thanks!

Comments

• Nah. He is going to learn that doing his business anywhere outside of the house is good. dogs aren't going to want to pee where they live, eat, and sleep. So they learn: outside of the house is good, anywhere outside the house.

I mean, I guess you could train him not to pee in the backyard...but why? Is nature, it's grass, and dogs are naturally inclined to pee on these things.
  • edited December 2012
    In general, a dog can "hold it" for a number of hours equal to its age in months, up to about 10 hours or so. At two months it can hold it for up to two hours, five months its five hours, etc. He needs a potty break at least that often. That said, Akitas are generally fastidious and easy to housebreak (case in point, my 5 week old litter is already starting to learn!). As @jellyfart said, they don't want to potty where they eat and sleep, so they're generally willing to wait if they know the routine and that a potty break will be available. Routines are very helpful IMO.