Mighty, Mighty Matsu - New pics

Here he is- the 4th and final member of Team Brindle: Yamabushi no Kanjiki Matsumori-Go, from Nio x Ayu litter back in September.
Photobucket

We picked him up at the airport and met Alex & Judi who were getting his sister, Sumiko- it was so cool that they could ride together in the crate for their flight- they both hopped out and looked none the worse for wear, greeted us all and played a little.

Photobucket

He's already grown some- I think he's a robust looking guy- a very different physique than Juno. He's thicker all over, with a big, very Nio-type head. He's got big shoulders and a barrel chest and thick wrists, round paws with webbed toes. His tail circles down to his back. His face is quite black, but hes brindling up on the ears and the back of his head/neck, and on the sides. I can see some stripes on his face but they are still really subtle.

He's sweet and sociable, he's been to work with me a few times and made friends there, as well as friends we've had visit, my daughter's friends too. He is discussed as being "he's friendlier than the other one (Juno), isnt he?" although Juno is not unfriendly- she is just more aloof and reserved. The boy doesnt mind noise, to be sure- in that way he is like Juno- and he also doesnt bat an eye at being touched anywhere, I pick him up all the time and we fuss with his feet and ears and tail and rub his belly and massage his shoulders.

He's a good little follower, and is doing a good job at beginning politeness "SIT" for getting anything. He adores Juno and they play all the time. The Big Brindles accept him as a community member so far, and Sage wants very much to play, so the interdog relationships are developing nicely :)

Comments

• Yay Matsu!!!
  • Matsu sounds so cute! I'm glad they're getting along.
  • Congratulations! He is just gorgeous! I am so glad things are going so well.

I think we need to see more pictures, though ;) *hint*hint* lol

• Adorable! Good to hear things are going well with him and the rest of the Brindles.
  • Congrats! Great to see him--he's gorgeous!
  • Congrats! Can't wait for more pics
  • Congrats!! So exciting! Matsu is so adorable and handsome :)
  • Thanks- I have a bajillion shots of the other dogs, but in the two weeks I have had Matsu ("Motts") it's been dark and wintery and I now fully appreciate the Kurotora Dilemma: how to take a good picture of a very active, very dark dog at the level of light my old, lousy camera requires to take a picture of ...well, anything! :) More Matsu pics as good ones emerge!

The boys making sure all is well.

• I love that last pictures! Love how pups try to copy old dogs in the family! It's way cute!
  • I can see lots of Nio in there! He is really cute and tough looking!
  • I love the last picture! Great shot!
  • Very cute!!!
  • Matsu is adorable!
  • Congrats! I just love kai puppies "bear-faces".
  • Wooo!!! Congrats Chrys! :)

He's ADORABLE! & I love his name! :D ~
  • I love his name too, but I keep thinking it sounds "Alaskan" because in Alaska there is any area called "Matsu" so we see it appear on stuff (it's a combo of Matanuska and Susitna areas--Matsu school district, etc! :lol:)
  • Interesting, so I could get a MATSU school sweatshirt if I was in Alaska? Near Albany there is a SAGE College.... :)

Matsu= pine, Mori = forest, so he's the dog of the pine forest. I often call him Motts (dog "of the applesauce") for short.
  • @wrylybrindle-- here i thought you named him after the japanese iron chef guy
  • Matsu looks awesome!! He's very strong and solid looking. Judging from the pictures he looks a bit thicker than Orry, although I can definitely see some similarities. I don't think Orry's legs/wrist are quite as stout, but he seemed to have hit a growth spurt in the last week and has started to bulk up.

Your description of his personality sounds like my pup's as well. Very social and friendly and not really phased by noises or new places. The only time I've ever seen him somewhat freightened is walking on leash at night when he simply can't decipher things, which is completely understandable. The other night, he stared down a park bench for a good 30 seconds, lol.

Yeah, I too understand the difficulty in taking pictures of these pups. I cannot get a straight on shot...he's always nose down (and active) outside so it's pretty hard (I dunno how Brad does it).

Looking forward to seeing more of Matsu!
  • couple more Matsu pics from today:
    Photobucket

He's got a solid build!

and he does rest sometimes...
    Photobucket
  • Ooh such a cute boy!
  • Sooo cute! Congrats!
  • That picture of him resting is insanely adorable! :)
  • The picture of him resting he looks almost grown up! haha

He's a wise old soul in a young body. lol

Amazing how much puppies grow in such a short amount of time.
  • He's 'getting' the art studio dog thing- we eat, we hike, I work/dogs lay around the studio...I've got Motts, Rei and Juno all snoozing down here while I make woodcuts for the christmas cards. What a good boy!

I hiked him with Rei this afternoon a short ways to the First Meadow, and he is such a good little follower- I havent had to train it, just capture it. He even auto-sits when I stop, or on recall, and takes his treats nicely. he doesnt blast ahead (yet!), he seems very sturdy and chill and very much along for the ride. Sure he has wild moments zooming around the yard, the living room, and his episodes where he goes into Shark Mode, but that's all puppies. Theres an awful lot to like about Matsu, and I feel wicked lucky to have him here in Brindles Pack. I think if he keeps up this tendency to keep close, I might stick him in a ruffwear pack instead of a harness when he's full size. It seemed silly to put a pack on lithe little Juno, and she's a bit of a satellite hunter/hiker, but Motts has the physique to pack and seems happy to 'travel' (as opposed to 'hunt'). Its too early to say, but he is def different from baby Juno in this way- she was more reactive/pouncey/hunty. Matsu is steady and thoughtful (I think- we'll see. hes only 10 weeks old.) Juno is like Roo, Matsu is more of a Pooh Bear.
  • The little guy is stalking to ambush Juno in our meadow...
    Photobucket

Matsu is 10 weeks old and 13 lbs. I often look at him and think Im sure hes grown since the last time I looked at him. :) He was a sweetie at the vets last night and outgoing to all the staff as well as a Fed Ex guy who happened to be there. I also took him along to my haircut- my stylist loves dogs and lets me bring them in the salon- so he got to go to a new place and love up some new people. He let Lori comb him as well. He was pretty tired at the end of the day, so Jeff held him and soft-talked to him while I cut the tips off all his front claws, very calm and not a peep or a squirm. We quit while we were ahead and didnt do the back feet, thus coming out with a win. :)
  • I love that picture! :)

Such concentration!
  • That's a cute picture! Matsu is adorable.
  • He's such a beefy looking puppy!
  • That is a great picture! Love it :)