Adult Shikoku male available
  • EdgewoodEdgewood
    Peggy at O'Ikon Kennels posted on the shikoku facebook group that this dog is available and looking for a new home. He is ~5 years old and is neutered, and currently lives in Nevada. He is by Tekai and out of Sweety (so a full brother to my dog Kuma, but from a different litter).

I can attest that my dog is a wonderful dog, super loving, very good with all people and most other dogs; very trainable temperament, will to please. His brother may very well be similar in temperament.

http://shikokudog.com/ownership
  • CrispyCrispy
    He's very handsome! Love the markings on him... and he looks quite happy.

I hope he finds a good home soon! :)
    Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org
  • SayaSaya
    He looks handsome! :) Too bad his owner is relocating.

I hope he gets a good home that is active and love shikoku breed.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 7year old Bella(Boxer), and 7year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    I wish I could have another dog... I'd take him. He looks like a sweet dog. :\
  • CrispyCrispy
    As it turns out, I'm going to be in a position to take on another dog--I'm moving and my brother has convinced me to leave Russell with him.

I have always really loved the Shikoku breed (it was a Shikoku who brought me here, after all!) and would love to open my home to one... but I know there must be someone who has been waiting for a Shikoku that is interested in adopting this dog... so I feel like I should be sitting out this round and just revel in only having one dog to take car of until my Kishu comes. :x
  • I have two wonderful friends that are interested in him. Please let me know what I need to do to get them in touch with the owners. Thanks :)
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    @yoshikoku

"TAKODA" mature Shikoku male, neutered & UTD on shots. For adoption info, please contact Monica at costano61@hotmail.com
  • @Crispy.....go for it! We all know you've been waiting and waiting for the right time for an NK, and maybe this is it! You'd be great!
    Lisa, Toby (Shiba), Oskar and Zora (American Akita), and Leo (Kai Ken)
  • ZinjaZinja
    @Crispy Go! I know you would give this dog a wonderful home. Plus, you don't have to potty train :)

I just found a puppy but would have jumped on this amazing opportunity!
    -Joe
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @Crispy, I agree with the above statements.... go for it =)
    My goal is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am!
  • EdgewoodEdgewood
    @Crispy, and I can attest to the fact that TK x Sweety make wonderful offspring.

....and since you know Mura and Paul, my Kuma is the reason that Paul got Mura in the first place....he came to my place to meet a shikoku and fell in love with my Kuma dog (full brother to this available dog), and after that signed up to be on the waiting list for a shikoku, and later got Mura.
    Post edited by Edgewood at 2012-11-29 22:24:47
  • jellyfishjellyfish
    @crispy do eeeeett
  • cdenneycdenney
    @crispy do it! A shikoku all trained and waiting for you? Do it!
  • ttddinhttddinh
    @crispy--do the four plan!!!
  • CrispyCrispy
    Haha! Such support. :) I suppose a little ol' email wouldn't hurt...
  • ZinjaZinja
    Kris's Kuma is so sweet and well mannered. I'm sure his brother is equally amazing.
    -Joe
  • cdenneycdenney
    @crispy is it to early to ask if you heard back yet?
  • CrispyCrispy
    @cdenny @Zinja @ttddinh @jellyfart @Edgewood @Kuma123 @shibamistress

First off, you're welcome for all being tagged in this reply.
    Secondly, you're all very bad influences (and thank you for it)!
    Thirdly, I did hear back from Takoda's mom. :) She's a very nice lady so I wanted to get some of the things people think are "deal breakers" about my household out in the open before she got too involved with me just in case. For instance, I'm moving to a five room apartment (though there is a yard and my landlord is SUPER awesome and loves dogs) and I DO have cats and I am almost an entire continent away from her and Takoda and I know some people feel more comfortable rehoming a dog someplace closer to home.

I asked a bit about his temperament, but not about his health yet. I figured I'd ask more about him once I got the second reply.

We'll see from here! I'm excited to see how it works out for Takoda. :)
    I cannot imagine how hard it is to rehome your best friend. My heart goes out to her and I hope I'm a good fit for him. :D
  • cdenneycdenney
    @crispy AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • HeidiHeidi
    *squeeeeee*
    Rakka 落下(Shikoku Ken), Sosuke 宗介 (Kai Ken), Hester, Stephanie, and Batgirl(cats)
  • ttddinhttddinh
    double *squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    @Crispy, I am so glad you emailed and you heard back from her =) Hopefully it will all work out and Takoda will get to come live with you! My fingers are crossed that it is a good fit all around!! Good luck!
  • Yay! I hope it is a good fit for you! And I hear you about just getting everything out in the open. I did that while looking for Akitas (and that's probably why a lot of them dismissed me right away! Ha!)
  • AraksAraks
    Yayyyyyy jumping on the bandwagon here. How exciting! :D
  • ZinjaZinja
    Lol "squeeeeeee "
    -Joe
  • jellyfishjellyfish
    Hooray!!!
  • sunyatasunyata
    Woohooo! :-D Please keep us updated on what you hear!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
  • CrispyCrispy
    I just thought I'd update you guys...

So I heard back from Monica (Takoda's mom) and I think I'm actually going to end up fostering him.
    I'm not exactly clear on what's going to go on yet, but she mentioned in one of our emails that she would prefer to find a foster home but she didn't think it was an option... so I let her know that fostering is totally an option on my end and she seemed very excited. :)

She's going to email me back on Monday. :D
  • KenshiKenshi
    Oh darn! We could totally adopt an adult male Shikoku. Or foster. I don't want to snake your chance at this though, Crispy. Are you able to drive to Nevada to pick Takoda up? I'd have to put him on a plane.
  • CrispyCrispy
    @Kenshi - I say it can't hurt to send an email if you're interested. There'll be no hard feelings here. It's all about finding what Takoda needs, after all. :) I'm not sure how long for fostering she's looking for. I just wanted to update everyone on what I knew since I knew there were interested parties.

I'll have to put him on a plane to get him to my location if I'm picked. Takoda's mom said that she did have a few inquiries, so I think she is looking for the best possible set up for him.
    Post edited by Crispy at 2012-11-30 17:14:42
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    If it's a quick thing where he needs a place to go right away, we could take him here until one of you can get him. I only offer this because we're close to Nevada.

----
  • I hope it works out for you Crispy! I'd love to see you get him! And it really says something important about who you are that you say how important it is to get the right place for him.!
  • CrispyCrispy
    @brada1878 - I'm not sure how urgently he needs a home, but his mom wanted as much time as possible with him so I don't think he's in an urgent situation yet. I can let her know to contact you if need be, though. :o

@shibamistress - I never really thought about it like that, but thank you so much! :) I do my best to be awesome.

On a somewhat more serious note, while I like to think of myself as the best home every for puppies, I can appreciate reality and know that sometimes, a dog might not be the right fit for me or I might not be the right fit for a dog or there could be a better home out there even if I am a good fit. :)
  • CrispyCrispy
    I am super excited to say that Takoda will be coming after the New Year! Monica (his owner) is so amazing to have given me this opportunity. :) It looks like we're aiming for the end of January or beginning of February. How are those cold months for transporting by air? :(
  • tjbart17tjbart17
    Congratulations!!! This is so cool. :-)
  • sjp051993sjp051993
    Congrats!!! Should not be an issue for an adult dog. They usually worry more about the heat than the cold. Also most airlines have improved conditions for animals flying in cargo.
    Stacey living with Tora, Kazue, Ritsu and Kuma the Shiba
    www.suteishiikennels.com

DSCF0686IMG_0940 - Version 2DSCF0714IMG_1151

10443860_10202258803333634_2133731540_n
  • ttddinhttddinh
    Congrats u are now part of the Shikoku no family, what a privilege. Haha j/k. Yea I'm so excited for u!
  • ZinjaZinja
    I feel partially responsible for this... I helped with the peer pressure :) Congrats!!!
    -Joe
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    @Crispy - That's just awesome! Congrats!
  • sunyatasunyata
    Sounds like a great plan! :) I am super excited for you!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
  • Kuma123Kuma123
    Awesome! Congratulations!

Is he coming to you as a foster or permanent resident? =)

YAY! Very happy for you! Way to go!
  • SayaSaya
    I hope things work out glad he'll get a good home.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 7year old Bella(Boxer), and 7year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • WhoBitMeWhoBitMe
    @Crispy Congrats! :)
    1 Human + 1 Hokkaido
    RIP Amy (Border Collie)

“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
    But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”
    --Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear

"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination."
    --Brandon Sanderson, the First Ideal from The Stormlight Archive.
  • cdenneycdenney
    quoting @hondru SQUUEEEEEEEEEE!
  • Yay!!!!! Now you'll have an NK!
  • ZinjaZinja
    speaking of fostering, what will you do with your current foster, Coyote? Has he found a home?
    -Joe
  • CrispyCrispy
    Thank you, everyone! Takoda sounds like an amazing personality. I'm so excited!

@Zinja my foster will be going to his forever home on Saturday and Takoda will be coming in a couple months so... hopefully, even if this meeting with his potential adopters doesn't go well or they decide he isn't the dog for them, we'll find a different forever home for him. :)

It's crazy - I've gone so long without any NK and I'll (hopefully!) have two by the end of next year!
    Post edited by Crispy at 2012-12-05 08:29:33
  • ZinjaZinja
    Funny how things work out, eh? I didn't plan on getting two dogs this year but I ended up adopting two! LOL

2013 will be an interesting year.
    -Joe
  • KenshiKenshi
    Awesome! Congratulations!
  • @crispy- Congratulations! Hope everything works out.

If for some reason things don't come together as planned, there are two NK related rescues in Northern NV that might be resources.
    Northern NV Shiba Rescue- located in Reno
    Two Dog Farms Jindo Rescue- located in Minden- Rosalind Behenna runs this rescue and is a member of this forum.
  • ZinjaZinja
    @Crispy

Any updates?
    -Joe

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion