What does "Old Goshen bloodlines" refer to?

edited November 2012 in Akita (秋田犬)
Hi, I have seen the term on quite a few breeders sites, and just am curious as to if there is more info out there. Maybe @JackBurton knows?

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Goshen Akitas refer to a type of heavy boned, large American Akitas. They were going for the "bear" head style, and Goshen shows up in a lot of American Akita lines. Goshen is the name of the kennel. They have not bred Akitas for years, but a lot of AAs have Goshen lines, and one of their champions was a top stud so you see his name in a lot of pedigrees (possibly more than one was a top stud, but I kept coming across this dog: Ch. Goshen Chariots O'Fire )

I remember finding a site, a long time ago, that talked about this more, but I can't find it right now. If I do, I'll link it.
  • That's helpful. I just wasn't sure what it meant. Sachi's mom has "Goshen bloodlines." and I just read Dog Man about Morie Sawataishi, so I became more curious. It found it interesting how the just post WWII Akitas look more like the American, and how the breed changed in Japan. So the Goshen Kennel was in the US then? Interesting. As I a mere pet owner, all of this is both not relevant and fun to learn about at the same time. :)
  • edited November 2012
    Yeah, the Goshen kennel was in Indiana. I think they breed horses now.
  • "It found it interesting how the just post WWII Akitas look more like the American, and how the breed changed in Japan."

I initially had the same picture regarding Akita development. It really comes down to the Japanese favoring dogs not of the Dewa line as well as the AKC closing the stud book to all imports in the early 70s. The studbook instantly focused the majority of the US breeding programs into lines already here. The lines were mostly from dogs imported by ACA members but there was a small % that had memberships in Akiho that imported as well. In Japan (mid-1960s) there was a strong push into the predecessor of what would be the modern Japanese Akita. In the end you have two isolated populations of Akitas.

You're 100% correct about the early restoration period dogs looking more liked the American Akita as well.

Another thing that rarely ever gets pointed out is from the Dog Man book itself. You'll notice as Morie searches for more and more dogs he focuses heavily in rural areas. When it comes time to the big matchup between Kongo Go and Goromaru Go in the show you'll notice that he talks about how much the Odate dogs were marketed. History has a tendency to document the person/event/product/or group that has done a better job of marketing itself. I have always felt that the predecessor dog was always there just not properly documented or photographed.

• Thanks Jack!I thought you would have interesting insight! I was right. Even though Lisa answered my actual question, I appreciate the follow up because all of the history is really fascinating. I haven't really researched much before, only the basic stories of Hachiko and Hellen Keller etc. I loved the book Dog Man. I spent some time in Sendai in the winter and can't imagine the life they led. burrrr. I also was curious if the dog that was translated as "Happiness" in the book may have been this kanji, 幸, and was it pronounced Sachi? Like I named my girl? Also, the beloved dog "Three Good Lucks" I wonder was that pronounced Mitsuyoshi? Yoshi is the name I have already given to Sachi's brother who was born 2 weeks ago, before I read the book. His Kanji is the same 吉. Even though I am happy to have AA's I like to think of the connections. Especially to the restoration period.
  • IDK about how they pronounced that name. My japanese is horrible.

American Akita is such a positive/negative name. On the one hand, it reflects the country that improved on the early restoration imports. Yet the name doesn't reflect that fact that these are indeed Akitas - not blended, nor mixed with anything state side.

Your post is a perfect example of why the breeds should stay separate. A select population of dogs has improved to the point where fanciers are interested in looking for certain lines or traits associated with the breed.
  • That's what I thought, too, Sean. No one who is is looking for a JA is going to want the Goshen lines--they select for things that are not typical of the JA, especially in terms of head shape. But that is what people who want an AA may be looking for.

It's true, the names aren't great, but at least they make it clear that there are two breeds, and that they developed along pretty different lines.
  • The old Goshen lines were huge American Akitas, it was a kennel in the state of Indiana (USA) and they had a lot of the big (28inch and taller at shoulders 120lb plus) fawn black masked American Akitas. They were often called the Indiana fawn
  • Thanks ShawnaMarie! That makes sense. And Jack, I learned the Kanjis were included in both names; Three Good Lucks, 三吉 pronounced "Sankichi" & Happiness, 深幸pronounced "Miyuki" but as you can see as part of the names, the kanji have different pronunciation. Fun with kanji!