Raito no Hoshihime 'Sachi'--Spam (10.24)

edited October 2013 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Well that day finally came. Sachi arrived and is home! While she was taking treats from my hand in crate since getting freedom in the main room is just pacing. I have to say while she will growl at me if I pick up the leash she is THE CUTEST DOG EVER!, I will keep everyone posted as to our progress!

Comments

• hooray! congrats!! :) Have fun with Sachi! How old is she? (sorry if i missed this in another thread)

Also, what do you mean that she growls when you pick up the leash? That doesn't sound normal... but maybe i'm reading that out of context?
  • edited November 2012
    She's probably freaked out. Don't worry, just give her space when she does growls. Hand feed her dinner. And she'll calm down with time. :) I'm so glad she made it safely! Please keep us posted!
  • Be patient and don't rush her. The plane trip really freaks them out.
  • agreed, just give her space. Listen to her growls, don't ever reprimand her. You don't want a dog that doesn't growl because then they lose that way of communicating to you that they're pissed, so they might chose less wanted alternative ways to demonstrate their frustration.
  • edited November 2012
    ChoCho paced for a while... Don't let her get worked up to that level. Crate her and give her a chew. Once she reaches the point of pacing she'll process very little. She's just spooked.
  • She is a year and a month, she was one of the imports from Janurary and came in with Hana. I havent reprimanded her at all, nor forced her to do anything. She has just been exploring. She keeps nudging me from behind but if I turn and face her she bolts so I have essentially been staring at my computer until she settles down. She does keep drifting towards the backdoor and looks out but when I come with in three feet of her holding a leash I get a little rumble in her chest and a bark. No teeth shown, no lip curl just a "hey you not now". So I have left the leash (and this is the one she came with from Brad and Jens) on the ground for her to sniff. In the mean time she did her business inside but I would rather she do that than manage to climb a 6ft privacy fence or find a weak spot and go under. She won't let me pet her either but is hiding behind me when anyone passes us at the entrance. I honestly think, as all of my roommates just rolled in from work, that my living room is too central (hadn't considered that) to the main hallway of the house and when she goes to her kennel I might move us to my bedroom which is much quieter and has fewer distractions.
  • @hinata23 I don't want to force her to do anything nor have her start off with a bad experience of me cornering her, picking her up, and putting her in a crate. Any suggestions other than putting treats in the back to get her back in?
  • A smelly food item in the crate might encourage her to go back in. Once she is in the crate you might want to attach the leash and let her drag it around. That way you can casually pick up the leash without getting too close to her to take her outside. Definitely get her into a quieter room.
  • @sjp051993 Im breaking out the emergency hotdogs. she allowed me one casual hand brush to her rear side but no where near her head or neck so Im going to wait on the leash til I am allowed to touch her.

She just stops and stares tail is untucked but down, I have no kidding been playing the "scientifically researched" calming dog story that came out at the end of October. It seems to make her not as pacey.
  • When Ritsu arrived it really helped him to just have some alone time in his crate in a room by himself. It allowed him time to decompress. I also found the food item he really liked (cheese) and every time I came around him i would drop a little piece. We progressed to him taking it from my hand.
  • @cdenney I have no idea... We never got a growl from ChoCho (she showed her fear in other ways) so we just picked her up and put her in her crate. You should put the crate in your room if you have roommates or have the crate in your room and travel kennel in the office. Try to lure her with food into her crate before your roomies start coming home.
  • @sjp051993 I gave her about 30 minutes of solo time where I was doing things in another room, bringing stuff in from my car etc but was debating as to how long before she would need to relieve herself--apparently not enough. When I opened the crate door she popped right out. My crafty plan with the hotdog was foiled... I hid cut up pieces under her blanket so she would have to go in and get them she will only put one paw in to search. as soon as she heard a noise she whipped out so fast she smacked her head. I think shes on to us...

@hinata23. It is all good I have all night. Once she is in there I will move her to the bedroom for the future. There will only be one more "disturbance" in the hallway and that wont be for four hours.
  • edited November 2012
    Good points so far by others.

Awesome she is home. How was the airport pick up? I presume uneventful which is good.

"Grumble growls" are common.... a lot of dogs will do this when unsure so don't worry about it ....just give her space to unwind. Air flight is stressful. Use food lures and just toss them if she will not take them from your hand. Many dogs do not like being touched around the head if they are not familiar with the person yet. If you turn sideways and hold out your hand without really looking at her will she take the treats?

Feeding her dinners in the crate might be a way to get her to go in. I would start with her exploring a smaller space such as your bedroom first. Although if she has to go through cramped spaces and enclosed hallways that might be stressful moving her from one area to another.

Snf
  • try tossing small pieces near her. slowly toss them closer and closer to you. You can also try sitting on the floor and leaving small pieces next to you, then leave it in your hand. Avoid eye contact and ignore her, that should help draw her in.
  • @staticnfuzz She will take them from my hand now if I'm not looking and will veer towards them and realize stranger me is holding them and check herself but if I drop them on the ground will get right up under my foot to eat them. I want to go get my phone to take a picture because her body language isn't fearful, just kind of confuddled (my mental imagery is of alice in wonderland when she finds a new land like huge to take in but not fearful), but she looks like she is about to lay down for the first time in three hours and I don't want to break her trance (correction as I type she SAT DOWN WHOOOOO win for the denney team! *gives mental cheer*). The airport pick up was easy but slow, about an hour after she landed, you're right about the no solid cell service out there.
  • Thank you, everyone, for reassuring me and giving me ideas as I over analyze all of this because I feel like a first time parent. I know, I know what I'm doing, kinda, but I like seeing that everyones advice is on track with my thoughts.
  • Sounds like she is coming around already ...... I am sure it is like Alice in Wonderland in her view..... Great description.

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention, she may not like the airline crate, particularly if she was adjusted to a mesh crate at Brads. If you only have an airline crate I would invest in a mesh one so she is a bit more comfortable. Not all dogs will take to both types. Just a thought about her going into it.

Snf
  • @staticnfuzz Thanks! I hope so. I have both but she wont approach the mesh crate (it is the same size as the one at brads) but it was pretty seculded in my main room and she was hanging around the backdoor/main hallway so I think she was nervous about letting her guard down. I did manage to create a quick slip knot leash and she followed me into the bedroom (though she definitely likes it less).

I guess next step is if she will let me harness her so she can get a quick if not proper walk before bed.
  • edited November 2012
    @cdenney ChoCho loved her crate in our room (in the basement). She felt safe in it. BUT she HATED the 2nd crate we bought for the main floor. We forced her in it thinking that she'll become more comfortable in the kitchen and living and it never worked. Going into your room with her and closing the door might help her feel more secure and she might feel better about entering her crate. The main room might be too exposed for her.
  • She's trying to be alert but failing. Literally asleep on her feet. It someone tells me how to upload ill show you the cutest tired dog video.
  • Upload it on flickr and copy the "share" address and paste it here! Aw poor lady. LOL she sounds so cute!
  • Waw congrats! Zzz Sachi! Can't wait to see how she adjusts!
  • I'm late to this. I'm super sick (Walking Pneumonia), sorry for being late to respond...

@cdenney - Along with what Patrice ( @StaticNfuzz ) wrote, Sachi "grumbles" a lot. It's her way of talking. She would do it to me when she was happy to see me. Her "grumbles" are lower-pitched than most, so it can be a little strange at first. So, I would respect her space for sure, but to read too much into the grumbles, she could just be talking... but also, don't push her.

----
  • I'm so happy to hear she made it safe. Jen was so stressed about it.
  • @brada1878 She is definitely one pooped pooch ( ), but moving her to the bedroom and putting us in closer confines seems to have helped. Everytime I move around she looks up and comes to inspect and then remembers that we aren't friends. She did stand stock still long enough for me to leash her though I was careful just to move the collar around and not touch her neck so we did a short walk as she balked at letting me add a harness. She wasnt as stiff taking off the leash when we came back so walking is bonding? When we came back I left her with a bully stick she was inspecting and I am assuming either chewing or falling asleep on. She has been sighing more than grumbling and one ridiculously sharp bark but I will keep it in mind not to read too much into it, I just don't want to be that guy that is grappling his dog to his chest while the dog is has gone to his dark place and not realize it.
  • Congratulations! I am so glad she made it safely!!

Love love the video! How adorable....! She is exhausted!
  • Glad she made it safely! Sounds like she's just really freaked out right now, and will need some time to adjust, but it also sounds like you've already made progress, so yay!

(and I laughed out loud ath the guy "grappling the dog to his chest while the dog has gone to his dark place." *lol*

I love the video too! Leo does that when he's really tired....he did even more as a pup, when he was determined to stay awake but couldn't really manage it!
  • LOL love how she's just tumbling over! She's so darn cute! Glad you got to take her on a walk. Going on walks with her will help her open up and trust you. :)

• @shibamistress my landlord literally did that several weeks ago. I still can't believe that he wasnt aware how much distress his dog was in.

Thanks!
  • Congratulations @cdenney! She looks so sweet and I bet a good nights rest will really help the sweet girl! Sooo sleepy... lol