Introducing Bijo to other dogs

edited November 2012 in Akita (秋田犬)
Bijo has been wanting to spend more time out of her room away from the puppies, which has meant dog management is becoming an issue again. The way our house is set up makes moving dogs in and out, without colliding with each other, a pain in the ass.

Today I decided to introduce Bijo to Gryphon. So far so good. I'm really happy to see that she's non-confrontational even with 4.5 week old puppies to think about in the other room. They're both avoiding each other so hard, I imagine they're like children sticking their fingers in their ears and going "lalala I can't hear you!" Its funny to watch them carefully figure out who is going to walk where without offending the other dog. For the most part they're staying in different rooms from each other, but that's fine. Ignoring each other is great as far as I am concerned. They don't have to be best buds.

I think its helpful that Bijo has been here for two months so they've already sniffed each other from afar and aren't excited to see a new dog.

Comments

• Wow, that's really exciting! Glad it isn't too tense and that they seem to be behaving :3
  • @king_bidgood You changed your icon! Yay :D
  • from stories that i've heard, I think it is super super helpful that they've been in the same household but not with each other. This lets Bijo slowly acclimate to the pack. Do you know if she is food or toy possessive around other dogs yet?
  • Yay! Glad it is going good so far!
  • This is what I was thinking too, that the fact she's been around the other dogs--ie. able to smell them and them her--is super helpful in integrating her. We had Oskar and Leo separated for a little over a month, and then when they finally "met" it went well. (They could see each other of course, and had brief interactions before that, but were never really loose together). They're pretty good friends now.

Glad to hear it is going ok so far!
  • edited November 2012
    @poeticdragon haha yeah, its a little dark though.
  • Bijo and Gryphon are together again today. They spent part of the afternoon sleeping a few feet away from each other in the livingroom.
  • edited December 2012
    We've been introducing the puppies, too. Even though she wont be here for much longer, I decided to let Gojira meet them.

She is being very good. She's been looking over the edge of the box and letting them lick and nuzzle her. I took Ichabod out to go potty a little while ago and Gojira decided to go outside too. After he did his business she came over to check him out. He sidled up to her belly looking for a snack and let out a disappointed mewl when he realized she had no milk for him. Gojira, feeling his wet snuffling nose on her underside, leapt into the air and did a full 360 degree spin! She then got very excited and wanted to play and rough house with him, but Ichabod was a bit uncertain by this "giant" dog barking and play bowing and running around like a fiend.

@noxychu I am going to miss her so much. :'(