Shikoku Pedigree Database

edited November 2012 in Shikoku Ken (四国犬)
As part of an international collaboration to help better understand the Shikoku Ken breed, a pedigree website has been created. This works similar to other public pedigree databases such as PawVillage, except this is specific for the Shikoku Ken breed. Members of the pedigree site will be able to enter in information pertaining to their own dog and it's pedigree.

This will be a great tool for both breeders and pet owners, as breeders can get an idea of how closely line-bred a potential pairing may be, while pet owners can have the joy of seeing which dogs are related to their own. Even in the beginning stages, I was able to find a few of Miyu's uncles and cousins. So please help spread the word and enter your shikoku if you haven't done so already. This is yet another step in the right direction for the preservation and improvement of the Shikoku Ken breed:

http://www.shikoku-pedigree.com

Comments

• Bumping to support this great idea/effort.
  • I shared this to Nihonken Club of Finland's forum :).
  • In just under two days, there have already been over 120 dogs added to the database. This a a very good start to a wonderful thing.
  • Nice job!

Hopefully Egmato kennel will come around and participate instead of holding out for a perfect world and a DNA test that suits them.
  • Thanks for linking it here I been watching it on the shikoku FB page.. I hope things works out well. :)

I'd like have shikoku someday in the future.. dream pack shiba shikoku and hokkaido.. haha
  • The people who set this up did a great job! I cant wait to put in my Shikoku's info when the time comes.... hopefully in about 9-10 months!
  • I tried to sign up but the whole token thing is not working.
  • I just send you a email Hinata, some have had problems with not receiving the confirmation email.
    I'm trying to fix it.

Nico
  • @Reno&;Rico Thanks! Got it!
  • Cool website!! Have you posted it on the fb pages?
  • Yep, there has been a discussion about it on the "I love my shikoku" facebook group. And just posted it on "the nihonken forum" facebook group. It's just online for 4 days and allready over 150 dogs registered :-)
  • Bumping this up, we're at over 160
  • Very cool!
  • awesome, i just entered ghost's details
  • very handy
  • Bumping up for those who didn't see it
  • This is so useful! A Kai one should be made :)
  • @Hinata23 - I think @BradA1878 has one he made for the kai
  • There is a Kai database
  • edited January 2013
    @calia @sjp051993 Really?! What's the website?

• Brad created it. Not sure the web adress. It is on my laptop.
  • @Calia I remember seeing this. I thought it was a private thing since you can't sign up for it.
  • There are a few people that have access to enter info. I actually need to get with brad on entering tora's last litter of pups
  • There is a guest account you can use to access it. I'm still developing it. When I am back in town I'll send you the info @hinata23
  • @brada1878 Oh, ok! Thanks! I guess since we don't have Goro registered yet there nothing I can input in the database. lol
  • Bumping this since we have some new Shikoku owners.
  • I highly recommend that people input their dogs. The information is not going into a black hole.

It's currently being used to find ancestors that were carriers for the neurological issues. In my own offsite database, I think I found one.

It's also being used to connect recent dogs with limited pedigrees with older foundation dogs to calculate inbreeding coefficients and % ancestors. I've connected dogs that had multiple Japanese names or no translated names based on NIPPO numbers.

Thirdly, it's being used to estimate subpopulations and find the branches that need to be built up more.
  • Can't help but second @ayk on this one. I'm admittedly lazy in doing it myself (to the point that the owners of Kurenai's puppies added her to the database), but it's definitely an essential tool for connecting us Shikoku owners across the globe.

Jesse
  • Just got Yuki's papers and was filling out his info in the database and I had a question on one thing. What is a race name?

Is there a shikoku dog racing league somewhere in Japan? I found a couple horse racing shikoku names (Shikoku and Shikoku lass), but no dog references.

He probably won't do much racing other than chasing the chihuahuas around, but maybe he needs a cool race name so we can call the action