Help! Akita

FeeFee
edited November 2012 in Akita (秋田犬)
Hoping to get any advice regarding my 9 month old Akita Sukura, she has started growling when you clap her and sometimes shows her teeth aggressively. She is not always like this and can be very loving at times and enjoys been clapped.

Comments

• I'm afraid there may be a translation issue here... what do you mean by clapped?
  • Clapped - Petted - Stroked
  • Clapped as in slapping the sides of the dog in a playful matter? Like kind of slapping their butt back and forth between your hands?
  • I had an aggressive shiba that would bite when petted. The behaviorist suggested we take everything near and dear to him and slowly reintroduced the items and actions when he did good things.

You may want to seek the help of a behaviorist before it gets worst.
  • Cezieg I'm sorry for the misunderstanding but I just mean stroking gently not playfully.
  • @Fee - When you pet (stroke) her, do you put you face near her face?
  • No, not necessarily. But she gives you kisses all the time anyway when she is in a good mood :)
  • How does she act when you pet her anywhere else (such as face, belly, legs, touch the tail, etc)? I ask because if it is just her sides that cause this reaction is it possible something painful is going on with her causing her middle to be sensitive? Since this behavior just started maybe something is 'off' with her right now............
  • Ahhhh ok, maybe just a language difference? I'm not sure where you're from :)
    @Kuma123 brings up a good point about pain or sensitivity. You should have a veterinarian check her out. If there seems to be nothing wrong then she could just not like that area being touched for some reason. My cat is perfectly fine with petting and rubs all over the place, but the second you touch her belly she'll meow as if she's annoyed, if the person continues to touch her belly then she'll get up and run away.
    Do you think her growling is her warning you to stop or she'll bite? I've seen some dogs show their teeth and make noises when they really like a particular area being scratched, but when watching it there is no tense body movement or anything.