Mirra's Thread :)

edited November 2012 in Other Breeds
I thought I'd add a picture of Mirra - well, just because we love her and I tend to talk about her as much as our others so - short blurb:
Mirra - our 6 year old Siberian Husky/Border Collie

Photobucket

This was last winter before she lost her blue eye to glaucoma - Probably my favorite picture of her, as I don't normally take great pics, but this one came out neat (I think)!

Comments

• Such a pretty pups, shame about the eye though
  • She is beautiful!
  • Mirra is a beautiful dog. Hope to see some more pics. :)
  • Gorgeous girl :)

I miss snow :(
  • Thank you guys - she's my girl all the way around. :)

@Calia - it was a very sad day when she lost the eye... I went out to do chores in the morning (takes about an hour) came back in to feed the dogs and Mirra is standing in the mud room with that "please help me" look with her blue eye bulging and color distorted. She had way awful reactions to the meds to reduce the pressure, which was incredibly high - like 57 or something - should be 13-18 (If I remember right) The vets said that knowing how stoic dogs can be that the pressure had probably been building for a while, but she had shown zero signs of any issues. I cant even imagine the migraine that she must have had - the meds made her incontinent, extremely depressed and completely weakened her rear legs - so, the best option for her was just to remove it -she's been fine and happy since, but I must say - I do miss that pretty blue eye.

@slkblaze - we are missing the snow right now too! It's cold and we are long overdue for a snowstorm!!! Mirra's two favorite spots = laying in the snow or laying right in front of the fireplace... such extremes!!! hehe
  • @CarabooA Aw she's gorgeous, very interesting mix too! She must have a huge personality :)
  • Thx @cezieg ! She is an amazing animal. I've never in my life had a dog like her (for me, I'm pretty sure she's my once in a lifer) She's super smart like the BC but mostly has the Husky traits (so she could be "aloof" when she was younger) - One time it had just snowed so the dogs were out playing in the front part of our property. It was time for them to come in so I called. Saydee came running in (she didn't like "weather", lol) but I couldn't find Mirra - I'm looking and looking, calling and calling and suddenly I see her. She is frozen still out by the ditch PERFectly camouflaged in between some of our sage bushes and the snow- she blended in perfectly with the snow and she is staring strait at me - LOL, she had heard me all along - she was NOT ready to come in yet and was very effectively hiding from me!!!! Once, I made eye contact with her and "found her" I started laughing "Mirra I can SEE you - get your butt in the house" It was like the kid you have to call in early from the playground "Aw, mom... fine.. if I haaave to" lolol She dropped her head and started walking verrrry slowly to the house!

She also worries for our animals ie -if a goat is ba-ing like crazy, she will howl & howl!! Baby goats that I've had to bring in for extra tlc she worries over and has to lay by me with her head next to the goat giving it an occasional kiss. The only animals we have that she acts like she really wants to eat are our meat rabbits... lol Those she starts salivating over!!! Before her arthritis she was really fun to take out with me riding the horses. She loved trekking like that.

She's the only dog I've ever know that is so careful where she steps. She will tiptoe around something if it's fallen on the floor. When crawling up on us (she thinks she's still a small lil puppy who can do that, lol) she tests each step to make sure she isn't stepping on one of our legs etc. She is so extremely sensitive with her family, and protective of us - it's amazing. Jason can't even get her to wrestle with him - she'll try because she loves him so much, but she just can't get into it, lol. She's such a softy with all of us.

She plays VERY well with the Kai. She loves those little fantastic dogs. Their play style is exactly the same. It's funny because with her size she can't duck and dodge like they do so varoom there goes Kunai, followed by Kitora with Mirra and her old arthritic shoulder and one eye trying to keep up! It's sweet. They have a lot of fun together :)

She is aloof and will bark at strangers if they don't act right (even people she knows if they don't act right, lol) but I've posted those stories before, :D She's gotten so much better with age. I've so many great memories and stories with her.

All I can do is look at her and say, "good dog Mirra, good dog" She really is "all heart".
  • Haha that's too funny, Tsune was the same with strangers. "Hey... hey... GUYS! GUYYYYYYYYYS! STRANGER! STRAAAAANGER!" until I interacted with them and they started ignoring him/no eye contact, then he'd slowly come around and eventually be ok with them. But then if they moved too suddenly or did something he thought was suspicious he'd bark at them lol.

That story of her sitting still to camoflauge so she wouldn't have to come inside is hilarious too! She really does sound like a great dog, especially for your Kais. Everyone says it's great to have a well behaved older dog to "mentor" the younger ones, and Mirra's the best :)
  • She is beautiful!
  • The golden girl fell off her pedestal today :o( I didn't want to jinx us, but was wondering if she'd show any stress over losing Saydee, and I think she finally did today.

The dog who has never even felt the inkling to touch trash Shredded a bag that was waiting to go out in the mud room. I walked in the house from being in town with the family and get the BIGGEST grin from Mirra that I've seen in a long time... like a "I did something naught grin..." I thought, "huh, that's weird" In the back of my mind, I'm thinking, "no way??? did she do something??? nah..." So then just asked her if she wanted to go do chores since we were home... usually this gets and excited yes. However, she very skulkingly would not come into the mud room with me... so then I start looking around - this is weird behavior from my Mirra....
    Behind me - there it is - I don't even make a sound but just me seeing it and she is tail tucked between legs and leaving the area so upset..... Then I say, "Mirra??????????" (the Kai are in their kennels any time we go to town so they are totally in the innocent, lol) I just couldn't believe it. She comes back and is begging forgiveness with grins .... She had shredded absolutely every possible thing in there that could be shredded. This dog has never even taken a tissue in the mouth for play or shredding....I feel so bad. She has been really begging to go with since Saydee's passing but I thought that was as far is it would go... just a little extra neediness which we could totally accommodate.

Anyone else had dogs do things they never have after loosing a loved one?