adding a Shikoku to our family

edited November 2012 in Shikoku Ken (四国犬)
Hi all. As some of you know, i live in Australia and am the very proud parent to two one year old Shiba Inus. We also have two beatiful children, two horses, a goat and a cat :-)

A few months ago we put a deposit down with a wonderful breeder for a Shikoku pup, although the puppy will likely be around 8 months by the time he/she joins our family.

So far i have been in contact with the AKC about how to get a new breed recognized in the country. We also hope to be able to exhibit the Shikoku prior to it being recognized to generate interest in the breed in Australia.

We already know of a few people here in Aus that are also enamored by the breed.

Anyway, we are now just waiting on a breeding with an available puppy thats right for our family :-)

We are very excited about this soon-to-be addition :-)

Comments

• Hi! Congrats on your new addition!!!
  • Congratulations! I'm excited FOR you! :)

What kennel is your pup coming from, out of curiosity? Are there any Shikoku in Australia already that you know of?
  • edited November 2012
    Congrats! I would be careful since 8 months is past the pups' crucial socialization period. With another breed this might not be a big deal, but with a primitive breed like the Shikoku it can complicate things very quickly.
  • @Crispy, our pup will be from Akashima. And to my knowledge, it will be the first of the breed in Aus :-)
    @Hinata23 i understand the need for socialization, and i know that the puppy will be in good hands with the breeder until it is old enough to leave the country. Luckily the quarantine time in Australia will be only around 10 days :-)
  • Hey congratulations! That's awesome! Please post pictures and keep us up to date on how you do with her :) Australia has an awesome climate and outdoors, she's going to have a blast with you guys
  • Congrats! Boy, does time fly. It feels like just yesterday you were talking about getting your shiba pups
  • @cezieg i will post plenty of pics . And you are definately right about the outdoors here, i walk 2 minutes and i am out in the bush...kangaroos,emus and dingos! :-P

@Araks, time does fly! To think a year ago i was on the shiba forum oblivious to what i was in for lol. Im glad i have stuck around on the forums as i still learn something new everyday and all the knowledge from others has really helped me out with the dogs at work! (Helped me to not get bitten by a Sharpei yesterday!)
  • Is your name Kieran?
  • Congrats! I know you must be beside yourself with excitement!
  • @ _Ryan_ im Kieren's partner Ash :). I am also on the Shiba Pet Owners FB page but have not been active on there for a little while, but have been following everybody's adventures .

@Kuma123 thanks, i am soooo excited.... Just waiting to find out if the breeding was succesful and then the countdown begins!! :D
  • @ _Ryan_ im Kieren's partner Ash :). I am also on the Shiba Pet Owners FB page but have not been active on there for a little while, but have been following everybody's adventures .

@Kuma123 thanks, i am soooo excited.... Just waiting to find out if the breeding was succesful and then the countdown begins!! :D
  • edited November 2012
    Didn't think there would be two Shikoku's coming in. Hopefully you get a healthy bitch and can do AI :)
  • Thats what we are hoping for :-)