time off with new puppy

Just wondering how much time off people take when the initially get their puppy?

Comments

• Last time I got a puppy, I didn't have a job, so that was simple. When I got Tojo, though, Noah and I were both working and in school. I think we only took a weekend off. I would be cautious of taking too much time off, because you don't want them to get too used to having your around 24/7 and have them freak out when they realize that it's not always going to be that way. In fact, I read an article in Dogs in Canada a long time ago and it said that a lot of families get puppies during the summer because they figure it's better go get the dog when they go on vacation and all the kids are out of school, but then they often experience behaviour problems when fall comes and suddenly no one is around any more.

I suppose it depends on what your everyday schedule is like. I wonder about people who are gone for 8 hours (or more) a day. It will be a long time until the puppy is old enough to actually be able to go that long without being let out, so unless you can take half a year off work, you have to arrange something anyway. For us, with Tojo, it wasn't very often that he would be alone for more than 4 hours because we had different schedules, but we had a little storage room set up for him with a litter box if he ever did have to be left alone. We didn't have a yard because he lived in an apartment.

I'm curious to see what other people do, but I would probably try to get into your normal daily schedule pretty soon. That's what the rest of their life is going to be like, so they may as well get used to it now.
  • thanks for the advice @hondru. I was also wondering if people ever use pet sitters in a pinch to take their dogs out for a walk during the week if you are at work all day.
  • I have never had the need, since it's very unusual for there to be no one home at our house. Some other forum members have dog walkers that come by if they will be away for a long time. I think it's a good idea. Doggie daycare is another good idea - the upside there is they also get socialization and plenty of exercise. Some dogs don't do well at doggie daycare, though.
  • edited November 2012
    Its worth noting that every doggy daycare I've ever found requires spay/neuter, so that may not be an option if you're waiting for the pup to mature before sterilization.
  • I believe in getting back to your routine right away so the puppy gets used to life in your home. I took one day off with Koda to go to the vets, and wasn't able to take anytime off with Mika. They did fine.
  • I always get my pups in the spring/summer, and I'm a professor, so I'm not at work then, so I'm not much help.

Some daycares will take dogs under a certain age without being altered, but yeah, they require spay/neuter after a certain age (usually 6 months). It's dumb, but that's what they require.
  • edited November 2012
    The daycamp I work with requires neuter/spaying at 6 (we'll sometimes go up to 8 months) of age. I find it funny (sort of) that people often think it's because the dogs can do their baby making in the play yards, which is entirely possible... I suppose... but the truth is that our dogs (which are mostly spayed and neutered in the country as a whole) just aren't USED to intact dogs, and so the intact dogs end up getting victimized by the other dogs. I kind of cringe every time I have to tell a client who I KNOW isn't planning on neutering their dog that young that their dog can't come back until it's altered, but those are the rulesssss... :(

That said, we do have a lot of clients who have no intention on ever spaying or neutering come in and have their pups enjoy daycamp while they can, a couple times a week (I usually think two times a week is good for most dogs - I see a lot of behavior changes/issues in dogs that come TOO frequently). As long as it's a quality doggie daycamp and you're comfortable sending your pup, it can be a good experience in socialization.

I agree with @hondru as far as taking time off, though. I do, however, make sure I've lined my normal days off with getting my pup in the past so I have time to do everything I want to do (and dote a bit) without rushing.