JA Pup Socialization question

edited November 2012 in Akita (秋田犬)
Happy is about 3 months old now, she will have the 3rd set of vaccins done this saturday. Is it safe for her to socialize with other dogs yet? I know many people say start socialization as early as possible, but then some say dont let the puppy have contact with other dogs before the pup have all the shots.

When do you actually socialize your JA pup with other dogs?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Comments

• Oh my GOSH! Happy is really beautiful. (I know nothing about socialization yet, but I just wanted to compliment your dog)
  • Awwww! She is adorable!!!!!

Socialization is so important and starting early is also very important.

What options do you have to socialize her with other people/dogs?

Until her vaccines are complete you want to ensure you only take her to places that you know are 100% safe. For instance, your parents/sister/friend has dogs that are fully vaccinated and the environment is disease free (i.e. you wouldn't meet them at a park) then you can certainly go ahead and take her for a visit. Doggie daycare is a good option because all dogs must be vaccinated to attend. Puppy play dates are good as long as all other dogs are fully vaccinated. The most important thing is to keep her away from dogs that are not current on vaccines or if you are unsure if they are and stay away from public dog places such as parks.

We had friends/family with dogs come over or we went to their homes very frequently to ensure Kuma (AA) was very accustomed to other dogs/new dogs and to teach her manners and restraint when around new dogs.

Again, your pup is so freaking adorable!!
  • edited November 2012
    "Other dogs" and "strange dogs" are two different things.

I wouldn't socialize with strange dogs... to be honest its more stressful than helpful to introduce a dog to a constant stream of new dogs they'll never see again. Each introduction means feeling out the new dog and figuring out where they stand with each other. Its a lot of social pressure to place on a dog, and if you overdo it, you can end up with a fearful, anxious, or aggressive mess on your hands. The strangers who own the dogs may be irresponsible; the strange dogs may be assholes. Additionally, places that strange dogs frequent (pet stores, parks, off-leash/dog parks, etc) are full of all kinds of nasty diseases and excrement.

On the other hand, you should definitely schedule play dates with dogs you know belonging to friends and family as soon and frequently as possible. The benefit here is that you know the owners aren't jerks and will take responsibility for their dogs' actions and probably be forgiving if your girl is a a bit out of control at first. You know the other dogs are vaccinated and the environment is clean and safe. Your puppy will be more comfortable at these play dates because its not always a new social pecking order to establish every time she goes.
  • Holy crap, Happy might be the most adorable red JA pup I have ever seen.
    I'm new to NK myself, so just wanted to compliment Happy and learn from the responses :P
  • Hey guys, thank u for the compliments on her.

@kuma123, thank you!
    @poeticdragon, thank you! Very thoughtful!
  • We have had Bella outside since we got her. Friends dogs in safe yards from 9wks. "Safe" areas from 9wks, walks since 12wks, being careful of where and when we go.
    I rather take the risk of health, than risk not getting her used to people/trains/planes/dogs/cars/crossing noises etc. Shopping trolleys, wheel chairs, different ethnicities etc.

When in doubt we carried her, I used to stand at rail crossings holding her just to get her used to it as one example. We had weekly play dates with friends dogs, plus puppy socialization group.

Good luck.