Akita's growth

edited January 2013 in Akita (秋田犬)
Thank you all!

Comments

• That seems on the smaller side for a male Akita, but I wouldn't worry until he is 2 years old or so. They all grow differently. And even if he is smaller, it's nothing to worry about.
  • I can not comment on the growth size but the last pic of him passed out on the floor made my day! Love it
  • I think he is probably on the smaller side. He is probably just about as tall as he will ever be, but he may grow another inch or so. I've always said that akitas will grow in height until one year, then in width until two or three. But then, my japanese akita puppy stopped growing in height (for the most part) around 8-9 months, give or take a month. Right now he is 13 months and is starting to grow out of his lanky stage, which, I would expect the same for your pup too, though he doesn't look too lanky.

As far as the food goes, you should go ahead and switch to adult food. I wouldn't suggest puppy kibble past 3 or 4 months. Think about it, in the wild, what would a puppy eat once weaned off mom's milk? Whatever mom eats. ...and she is not going to eat puppy kibble. Blue Buffalo and Innova are both excellent brands :)

LOVE the last photo!!! :))
  • To be honest there is no way to know without knowing where your puppy came from. Some litters of Japanese Akitas grow like weeds and other take forever to mature. To support other members comments that does seem on the smaller side but not as much as you think. We have some males in our club that are in the 70s and some that are in the 60s.

People do tend to over estimate the height and weight of their dogs. So unless both pups from the litter are next to each other then I wouldn't read in the weight or height.

If you don't mind me asking what part of the US are you from? We have pretty decent populations of Japanese Akitas in California and Texas.
  • I have no personal experience with JA's, but just wanted to say that the last photo of him spread-eagle is just straight up hilarious!
  • Lol my dog lies like that too

• Beautiful dog, I love the pics! He's a silly puppy huh?! :)
  • edited January 2013
    Thank you all for your responses, I really do appreciate it.

I figured he was on the smaller side, but as long as he is healthy i don't mind it to be honest. I realize that he still has to fill out, so until than I'll put my paranoia aside.

@*JackBurton* I live in Midwest Florida.

@MapleTwinkie he is a very silly puppy, keeps me entertained throughout the day!

Thanks again for the comments on the pics. I think when he sleeps he dreams that he is swimming or something haha.
  • what a cutie!!!
  • That last picture is too cute! I just want to give him a cuddle lol
  • My male is 24 inch(my guess) and he is 11 months old.

75 lbs for 9 month old male is just overweight. lol

akita grow slowly. some grow fast. but you really need to wait till 2 years old.

there is noway to measure correctly at home. so some of them will just guess and give you odd numbers.

like their male is 27 inches at 9 months old. which is almost impossible.

• Tim, hit the nail on the head, for some reason people tend to over estimate the size of their......akita. :) I know many jA owners who had their dogs jump up in size and weight between 18months and 2/2.5 years.
  • edited October 2012
    For an American Akita, a good estimate is 10lbs of weight per month of age up to 7-9 months and then the last 10-30lbs are put on much slower. But a Japanese Akita is smaller and takes longer to fill out. I think 50-70lbs at 8 months is normal for a JA depending on gender and bloodline and then they'll put on another 0-20lbs by 30 months old.
  • edited January 2013
    @timkim yes I suppose youre right, without the right equipment to properly gauge his dimensions, its mostly estimation.

@poeticdragon speaking of bloodline, I did receive Obi's AKC pedigree certificate recently. I've been surfing the forum and i've seen you and others talk about the different breeders and lines.

• edited November 2012
    @lineofeld1 I know Halne Wzgorze and Shun'you Kensha and recognize Kanzakiya Kensha and Kiyokawasou. The only dog I recognize in the pedigree is Unshou.
  • edited November 2012
    so your pup is polish? :)

i don't recognize any of the japanese names, still learning all of those. but i do recognize the Wzgorze and Shun'you Kensha.
  • @jellyfart The sire is from Spain, and the Dam from Poland. I remember when I first met the breeder he showed me the little blue dog passports. Thought that was pretty cool.
  • edited November 2012
    Where you live? Unshou go kanzakiya kensha is very famous brindle akita. Every one know him if you are Brindle Mania~. i saw couple pic of Unshou shon'you Kensha and he was pretty nice brindle male. I don't know any dogs in dam's pedigree. all dogs in her pedigree seems like they are from poland.
    Unshou line is very nice brindle line.
    So your dog is from poland and person owns the other dog from same litter lives in usa?
    Did you see that "Huge" litter mate in person or the owner told you the height?
    23 inches at the withers and weighs 55 pounds seems perfect for 9 months old male.
  • He's a really good looking JA. Very cute.

I'm leaning towards 75 pds. might be a little overweight....
  • edited January 2013
    ty