Black and tan pup

P1080225
Two very different looking red pups

P1080148
Brindle

P1080154
Bark at the bear!!

P1080154
The Hokkaido association actually own this bear. They introduce the cage about 5 years ago but now the dogs don't seem so interested in the bear.

P1080141
Nice pup

P1080209
Best female of show

P1080248
Best of show

P1080250
Award Winners

P1080218
pup

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Im most drawn to that first photo! I like the reds. :) The dilute brindle kinda weirds me out. I guess I thought they look more like a thicker kai.
  • Great photos! I like them all but I especially like the B&T and Brindle Hokkaido's. Thanks for sharing these with us!
  • I liked the white ones the best but some of the red males were really good looking as well. The males have a wider? puffier?? face than the females.
  • I'll take the brindles and the B&T. I really like that silver brindle.
  • I love the B&T ones. :)
  • They're beautiful! Here's a breed if you want a NK that comes in all the colours.
  • OMG, Blue/Silver Brindle Hokkaido?!!! SOOOO COOOOL!
  • I like the brindle, the others just look like beefier shiba.
  • I like them all, but I think I like the red best and the white (which is unusual for me as I usually don't much like white dogs). I, of course, like that they look like beefy Shibas! :lol:

That looks like a really cool experience--thanks for sharing it with us. Are you going to get a Hokka? what did you think of their temperaments?
  • Yeah the other ones do look like beefier shiba inu.

I still would love an Hokkaido either B&T, brindle or red one as long as it's healthy and good temperament I'm happy.

Someday it'll happen. The big yard would be haven for him/her. :D
  • So is the size of the best of show female the typical female Hokkaido inu size you saw? She looks tiny compared to the others.
  • I looove the diluted silver brindle!!
  • I'm with the majority on that silver brindle... that is a very beautiful dog in my opinion!!!
  • Wow these are great photos. I've been wondering what Hokkaido look like, they're freaking cool looking! I'm really digging the silver brindle, the tan in the first photo, and the red. They're quite "wild" looking with the smaller ear/head ratio. Thanks for posting these!
  • Yes, Hokkaido have the smallest ears of all the Nihon-ken. I was really impressed by the dogs temperament and I am definitely going to get one or if I can convince the wife two.
    One thing I thought was really interesting was how the dogs greeted their owners. They would stand n their hind legs and hug their owners with there front paws, just like a strong human hug. I wish I would have gotten a picture of it because it seemed a lot of the dogs were doing it.
  • Sounds interesting. :)

• Leo does that jump and grip thing too. People think he's going to start humping, but he's never humped a person (or an inanimate object), so it's just his thing that he does as a greeting. I don't mind it, but I'm trying to discourage it because other people do mind it...

So did they seem reactive to the other dogs? (I think you mentioned the face off thing--did they have that or not?) How were they with strangers?

I really hope you get one! Or two! :)
  • Thank you for sharing these! I agree that the last (silver?) brindle is awesome. But I'm also loving the whites (Okay. I love them all, but hey).

Good luck with convincing your wife to get two. I know I have no chance of getting more than one due to several factors, so I have to go the standard way and start with one (which is better for me anyway). :)
  • @shibamistress People think he's going to start humping

That is exactly what I thought but none of them were actually doing that. There were a few dog reactive dogs but for the most part they were very well behaved. Most of the dogs seemed to be very approachable and OK with strangers. A lot less reactive than the Shikoku and Kishu I have seen at other shows. Another funny point was that several people told me they always leave their puppies with a male dog as they look after the pups better than the females.
  • Were a lot of the pictured dogs young dogs? I'm used to seeing in pictures a fuller head and thicker body to the Hokkaido, and I wonder if it's because a different style has gained ground or if the dogs are just not fully matured yet.

In the 'award winners' pictures, I like the light yellow dog with the blue-jacketed owner. :-)

• Yes, I took a lot of photos of younger dogs. I was also a bit surprised about the looks of some of the dogs but was told it is only the males that have the fuller(?) head. I think the difference between males and females is much pronounced than in the other NK breeds.
  • Man, ever since Tsune got re-homed I've been debating which breed to choose for Ren's future little brother (1-2 years from now).
    This just added a third to mix lol. Was debating between JA & another Shiba. I'm subscribed to the Shiba sub-reddit and occasionally see Shibas that look like Tsune, making me miss him. But then again, I read about @poeticdragon and @jellyfart's dogs, making me want one of those things :) Now these sounds really interesting as well.
  • Hokkaido in the US! Do it!
  • That's interesting about people leaving puppies with the males dogs instead of the females. That's something I wouldn't have expected. I also am glad to hear that the dogs were approachable and weren't too reactive for the most part.

@cezieg Like @poeticdragon said. Go for the Hokkaido. :)