Still nesting, now onto kennels...

Ok so I have decided that the best option for my puppies food would be to order it online. So what are some highly recommended brands (from you guys). I'm looking for Blue buffalo quality or better preferably better. I want the most out of money. But I can't pay a fortune for food. I will also be supplementing with raw as well. Raw questions have answered already, i got that part ;)

Also if you like you can post which sites you like to order the food from... I usually do lots of comparing before i order though if it the exact same product.

I ordered one of those round nest bed things, got a shopping cart ready to go on best bully sticks... waiting to see if they have any more "coupons" before I order... their last one was for costumes.

Getting a Shikoku in like 5-6 weeks :) ubber excited.

Comments

• Yea! My pups love earthworm puppy vantage. I to it through pet flow with code super12 u get 12 off.
  • I use www.chewy.com. There are several coupon codes to get 10% off. Here is one: JEN6124

Also, if you set up a delivery schedule you will get $15 off your first order (that is on top of the 10% off). You can change/cancel your delivery schedule at any time.

I had to adjust my delivery schedule due to needing it more frequently and then recently canceled the schedule until we level out and figure out when we need it each month. (The dogs are going through a very hungry stage and we have used a lot of food lately... but at least they are all eating the right amounts now and not being so finicky!)
  • earthworm LMAO!! I know you mean earthborn... im checking into it now

• Ugh autocorrect sorry
  • no apologies necessary i found it amusing.
  • I don't have any experience ordering food as I am able to find most dog food brands near me, but I can give a food recommendation. I posted about it in another thread. The brand is Go! Fit and Free grain free kibble ( http://www.petcurean.com/for-dogs/go/fit-and-free-grain-free-adult ).
  • Earthborn all the way! We actually never fed Goro the puppy formula. Brad and Jen fed the puppy the grain-free adult formula. The pups loved it and were super healthy. :) As for bullysticks I bought the bullystick tips for Goro. They're a great snack and shipping is free.
  • yeah.. i was looking at their grain free stuff... im real anti corn and wheat after working at a pet food company. That place was my worst job experience ever, i work for my dad now :D (It wasn't the work it was the management, i was in the lab).

Thanks for the sites too i never thought about scheduled delivers that's kinda cool. I can order both cat and dog food and make sure to get free shipping :)
  • Oh yea...bully tips are great!
  • http://www.amazon.com/West-Paw-Design-Stuffed-Chocolate/dp/B005GYLI56/ref=lh_ni_t

I ordered her one of these beds ^^

planing to order these two grab bags and maybe a couple other products when it gets a little closer:

http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/page_15919_21/2lb_chew_variety_grab_bag.html
    http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/page_6644_21/bully_stick_value_grab_bag_2_lbs..html

Also about to start looking at webmaster harnesses... Is there anything i'm missing? I've got a collar and a lease.
  • So one of the books I was recommended to read suggested using kongs to keep a puppy entertained during the day to prevent barking. Basically feed the rations in the kongs. But some of the reviews i read mentioned them tearing up, and being hazardous if left alone with the puppy o.O
  • edited October 2012
    Kongs come in various sizes. If your dog is a heavy chewer you will need to go to the next larger size. You can also stuff them with creamy cheese, peanut butter or kong cheese wiz and freeze and it may last longer for the dog to work through. First see what your dog tends to do and what it likes and the go from there.

Snf
  • 3 weeks to go... so kennels? Are there any recommended brands?

I have been looking through amazon. There seem to be 3 types cloth-ish, metal wire, and the plastic-y ones.

I think the cloth would be ripped.... so moving on

Wire would easier to clean and see my dog, plastic might feel more cave like and safe? Which of the two types do you prefer?

Wire I have noticed problems like poking wires, poorly made, breakage, escapes, and collapsing.. Any good brands?

Plastic down side is non-collapsible.
  • I just got through all of this with three weeks to go as well. I'm ordering the food from petflow (use coupon super12 on your first order and save 12$), treats as well. I got a webmaster from zappos as it was on sale at the time but if you have a pup I would wait until she is grown, they are a little bit of an investment ($50) but starting in a basic harness if you want to go that route. For crates check eBay. I got a wire collapsible 3door with free divider for $40 and free shipping. It seems sturdy and for the price I'm not complaining, but I don't have a dog in it yet. Because it is alittle on the wobbly side from being a collapsible version I used zipties ($2 for 20) at home depot on the four corners and it feels pretty bomb proof so to speak. Hope this helps.
  • Midwest iCrates

I stack mine 2x2 with a table top from Ikea as the support to distribute the weight in between. No collapse issues.
  • edited November 2012
    Midwest iCrates here too. They are durable and last. Also you can easily cover them of you want to. For a Kai, I would just get the adult size. They won't potty in their crate.

There are lots of good brands of puppy food. I fed Fromm to Mika. I have an issue with Diamond products and honestly don't have te time to worry about recalls.

I switched the older pups to Eathborn a couple weeks ago. They like it and it seems really good. They do poop a lot more though. Koda and Mei were on Great Life which is also a really good food and less poop. But I still really like Earthborn.
  • Ebay is even cheap than amazon, plus there are colored ones lol. I'm getting a shikoku pup. She is being flown here so I can use that crate for a while its a medium. I'm trying to decide if I should get a reasonable sized crate.... or the biggest damn one i can find. They all seem to have dividers. Would a puppy enjoy a bigger crate better? Or still dislike being crated and size is relative? The ones I like they're are 48 inches 42, 36 long. and all 28 inches wide i think.

My roommate is moving out in Dec or Jan so I will have a whole lot more room for stuff.

• I have varikennels, which I honestly don't like that much, because they don't break down that well, but I have never bought a new crate, so I just get what I find, mostly at garage sales. I will say that my Shibas by far prefer the varikennels, I think because they can't see through them so they seem more like dens to them. The Kai HATES the varikennel, but will settle quite nicely in his wire crate. The Akita is too big for anything except the giant midwest wire crate (biggest size they make), but he likes it. I think some dogs like to be able to see out (wire crate).

Lindsay is right that Midwest crates are very good--I mean the giant crate we have is old enough that they don't even make one just like it anymore, and it is still solid. I bought it for $10 at a thrift store.

Seriously look at garage sales/craigslist in your area. People are always selling crates!
  • Oh oops. Why did I think you were getting a Kai pup??

42" is big. I use that for Koda and he's 52 pds. A Shikoku should be a lot smaller than him. It wouldn't hurt but traveling is a pain in the ass with it. I usually bring his fabric crate to travel. Koda's a very good boy and doesn't chew or try to get out. I could never use a fabric crate for Mika do I don't recommend getting one.
  • I do recommend a 48" expen. Everyone should have one. :-) and baby gates.
  • I hadn't really considered traveling much.... i was thinking about getting one of those seat belt harness things. But now that i think about it..... Shikoku usually = pukoku so i might need a travel crate lol ewww. I have a car and a wire crate would really be practical for travel anyways.
  • Know any 7 foot baby gates? lol I would only need one i can close all the doors in the area to keep her on linoleum
  • Check online. You can find ones that are made for large openings like that.
  • Yep they have seven foot ones. I have one to close off the dining room from the living room. But I don't use it. I unfold the expen instead. It's easily knocked down.

I'm actually laughing because I realize I have so much crap for these dogs: 2 icrates, 2 vari kennels (Mikas stays in the car cause she's cray cray), Koda's fabric crate, two expend, and three baby gates. Sheesh that's a lot. Most stuff I but off of eBay with free shipping. Seems to be the best.

I don't garage sale very often but that's a great idea for crates. Craigslist also has a ton. I usually stock up once a year from 2nd hand places and Craigslist and donate everything to a pet rescue.
  • I would try using craigslist if i lived in a more populated area. I can try garage sales next weekend I guess, i hate getting up that early. Around here they last from 5 am-10am. I am going to visit my grandparents in Dallas for thanksgiving so I can look there I guess.
  • And that's why I do eBay. Lol. Garage sales are too early for me. Plus I have dogs to walk when I get up.
  • Where I live its a little over 9,000 people and we are the biggest town for an hour in every direction
  • Oh I love it! I love towns like that. I should move near you.
  • 5am garage sale?! Why? Sheesh!

I bought two crates from Kijiji just because they were so cheap ($20). I do intend on having more than two dogs at some point, so may as well. Before that, I just bought 36" wire crates from Amazon for $50/each. They seem just as good as any other crate I've seen at the store, only they cost half as much.

Sosuke was flown to me as a puppy and I used the crate he came in for the first while. When I moved him to the bigger crate, he seemed pretty indifferent. I don't think the extra space impressed him much, because he curled up smooshed in the corner anyway, lol. I've never seen a dog do anything but sleep or chew in their crate, so I think as long as it's big enough for them to lay comfortably, they don't really care.
  • I have NO IDEA why... i guess old people here don't sleep long. I think its retarded. When I lived in Dallas garage sales were later in the morning. Didn't see much savings in indoor kennel on CL... but outdoor runs and play areas were pretty cheap.