Bijozakura's Arrival [photos added 10/11]

Facebook album: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.491870924158440.118996.146876475324555&type=1
Video: http://nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/149183/#Comment_149183

Bijo arrived safe and sound. There were no problems with the flight. However, my aunt who was meeting us at the airport lost her breaks on the freeway. Fortunately she was already in the right hand lane, and was able to pull over to the shoulder and coast to a stop. Her car was towed to a shop near my parents' house. They walked to my parents' house (they're out of town right now) and borrowed my dad's truck to get to the airport

Since we had to wait for them a little while, we took Bijo out of her crate at a doggy potty area between the Bradley Int'l Terminal and Terminal 4. It was actually quite a cute little green space and a very nice convenience. Bijo got to stretch her legs and I got to meet her finally! I was so relieved that she calmly came out of her crate and did her business. She wasn't interested in us -- but then, with so much going on, I'm not surprised. I was glad she wasn't terrified or snarly at all. When my aunt finally arrived, she went back in her crate without any coaxing or coercion.

Then we met up at my parents' house to figure out plans. We let Bijo run loose in their backyard while we took Ai out to lunch. Bijo was happy to have a bowl of food and water, and did her business again. She was good for me on the leash, and didn't mind my little 8-year-old cousin petting her. He's very polite with dogs, but I didn't know how she would be with kids; apparently just fine! He even gave her a gentle hug with permission.

After lunch I found her waiting at the back door for me. She didn't seem so dazed and jetlagged anymore. Now she was interested in me for once. As soon as I picked up the leash she got excited and pawed at the door -- she knew it meant its time to go! She willingly gave me eye contact a few times but never seemed challenging or stubborn. She walked nicely with me out to the truck and cooperated being put back in her crate.

On our way home we decided to stop at PetSmart and Walmart for a few things we forgot. Bijo needed her own pretty collar, nametag, and toys, plus a comforter for her crate. Since she was being so good so far, I thought she wouldn't have a problem with it -- and she didn't. She met lots of people who asked to pet her, saw some cats and yappy dogs, had treats and toys tempting her.

The only thing that gave her pause was linoleum. She couldn't get any traction on the floor and a few steps into the store fell down with her legs splayed out and wouldn't move. So instead we went outside and got a cart and I carefully lifted her into it. She was tolerant and even helpful once she figured out what I was trying to do she stepped inside and sat down.

I rolled her around the store, during which she received lots of praise and pets and was very well behaved. She looked at some cats, who looked back at her. She was disinterested in the birds and fish. We paused by the doggy daycare to see the little dogs. She wasn't interested in them, either, until a yappy obnoxious terrier got on her nerves and she started talking back. Even that didn't seem vicious or aggressive, just a "shut up already!" vocalization. She met a few more polite children who I didn't let pet her, but she didn't seem bothered by them. Overall she was mellow, calm, and alert. She was content to sit in the cart, and tolerant of the weird things I made her do. We put her new collar on her and walked back out to the truck where she got back into the crate without issue.

When we got home, she accidentally came face-to-face with my cat Ghost at the front door who really wanted outside. He was more interested in her than she in him. I nudged him out of the way with my foot, admonishing the cat for going up to strange dogs who might like to eat cats for dinner. She had some trouble with our hardwood floors but not as bad as the linoleum. Once I got her into her room, we found some towels and mats to lay out on the floor for her. That seemed to make her happy. She drank some water, then laid down. I took a bunch of photos of her.

I sat up close in her personal space to inspect her thoroughly, and I could tell that made her a little uncomfortable. She licked my hands and foot and kept turning her face away from me. When I tried to place my hand on her belly to feel for puppies the first time, she nudged me out of the way and began cleaning her lady bits. The second time she made an unhappy noise, got up, and went to lie down inside her crate. I decided to leave her be. I've pushed her more than enough for one day and I'm sure she needs a little private time now.

However, overall I am very happy with her temperament and tollerence. Oh, one last cute thing - I got her four different types of toys at the store because I didn't know what she would like. I tossed them on the floor in her room. She went over and picked up each of them one at a time and put them in her bed. It seems I've got a hoarder! :D

Comments

• Congrats! She sounds lovely. I find it hilarious that you put an Akita into a shopping cart...
  • Congrats and glad things seem to be going well.
  • Congrats and she is super cute!
  • She's gorgeous. And she sounds so tolerant and awesome :)
  • Wow she's beautiful! Congratulations! I'm glad she made it safe and sound. You mentioned feeling for puppies so I take it she's already pregnant, who's the male?
  • Hooray! Im super excited for you to get bijo over here in the states. She seems like she has such a wonderful temperament. I can't wait to see what the puppies 5 years from now as going to look like becuase they will all start with Bijo :)
  • So exciting! She's really lovely and it sounds like she has a great temperament.
  • @jellyfart I could not stop thinking about Toki when she splayed out on the linoleum in the store! It was funny and kind of embarrassing.

My husband earned the first tail wag from her before we left for dinner with Ai and my aunt and uncle. When we got back, he took her out to potty and I gave her dinner -- probably the first time she has ever had canned food. She was very excited and enjoyed it. We followed it up with some extra kibble.
  • @cezeig The male is Zuigan Sakura Go. She was bred to him before he was sold to South America. His new owner is @francisco on this forum. Here are the relevant threads:

http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/147482/#Comment_147482
    http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/7757/introducing-new-japan-imports-in-argentina
  • She is very pretty. These pups are gonna be gorgeous. Can't wait to see them!
  • Congrats :)!
  • edited September 2012
    @poeticdragon oh lawwwd... lol! I'm glad i'm not the only one going through this. Though, I don't think I could put Toki in a shopping cart. Even though I can pick him up, i don't think he would let me put him in the crate.

its time to get booties for our doggies :P
  • Yay for her arrival! Glad she made it safely--she sure is gorgeous!

I was surprised she was shipped while pregnant though. I guess it's ok or you wouldn't have done it, but I didn't know that was common practice.
  • @shibamistress It is apparently common between Japan and Korea. Due to the timing of when she was bred, it was safer to wait until 30-35 days instead of immediately after breeding or close to delivery. The airline wouldn't have allowed it if they'd known about it though. I guess that makes me a puppy smuggler.

Speaking of which, we're expecting at least 4! I'll post ultrasound photos and planned litter announcement stuff tonight :D
  • Has she met the rest of the gang yet?!
    Thanks for sharing the pics. Best part of my day is getting Kaiju Kennel updates! :)
    So excited for the puppies now!
  • @MapleTwinkie No, she wont be meeting the other dogs until after her pups are weaned. I don't want to put any undue stress on her during pregnancy or nursing. We have given her a room all to herself and very soon I'll get a webcam set up for 24/7 steaming. :D
  • edited October 2012
    you are not a puppy smuggler. lol .

• So cute! The light-colored rims on her ears are really absurdly cute to me for some reason.

And LOL at the puppy smuggling. It's... at least better than my stepmom's story of smuggling a kitten across customs from Canada in a bag full of barbie dolls?
  • @poeticdragon, ahhh I see. That makes sense :) Can't wait for puppy cam!! I'm gonna be on it ALL DAY!!
  • edited October 2012
    I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to do it. I've had network cameras before but prefer the HD quality of a webcam. That means I have to plug it in to a computer though. I don't want to use my personal computers, but would prefer a small server I can leave turned on all the time. I can't find anything prebuilt or plug-n-play that acts as a webcam streaming device though...
  • She is lovely!, For sure you´ll have a great litter!!! Congrats!!
  • I like the update on your banner!
  • Bijo is so cute!
  • edited October 2012
    Update on Bijo. Housebreaking is going well; haven't had a major mess in 2-3 days now. She's learning to sit to ask for things and now we're working on holding a sit and waiting for permission to eat. Every dog I have imported had giardia and Bijo is no exception. Seen some improvement in her poops since starting meds and giving her white rice and sweet potatoes. She loves white rice and can smell it in the rice cooker from the other side of the house. She goes nuts for it! Silly Japanese dog. :D

Yesterday most of the components for my puppy cam arrived. All I am waiting on now is my ZBOX so I can hook it all up. My EZ-Whelp came yesterday too.
  • edited October 2012
    Here are some new photos as well!
  • She's adorable! I love how foofy she is.
  • I have no idea what an EZ Whelp is. Is it...easy?
  • aykayk
    edited October 2012
    EZ Whelp is a whelping box. Specially made to be easy to assemble/disassemble, easy to clean, easy to re-use, and has safely rail to prevent a larger mom from accidentally squashing a pup.

http://www.ezwhelp.com/BuyWhelpingBoxes.htm
  • Ohgod, no squashing! :/
    That sounds easy. It is neat to see everyone's mommadog setups lately, and all the puppies!
    Best wishes, Bijo!
  • edited October 2012
    This is an ez-whelp.

And this is Bijo checking it out.