Fav dog food for your dog.

edited September 2012 in Akita (秋田犬)
hi

I just want to know what brand dog food you guys using.
I'm currently using Ennova large breed puppy for both of my dogs.

Comments

• I currently use Natural Balance's Sweet Potato and Fish formula for London (malamute) and Solid Gold's Barking At the Moon for Russell (swapped off of Orijen's Regional Red - loved it but the stores around me wouldn't order it without an additional fee).

Other brands I've used are Acana's Pacifica and TOTW's Pacific Stream (or... whatever it is they call their fish formula).

I've never tried Ennova. :o
  • I rotate their kibble quite often (every time they finish a bag). We just finished merricks, I don't know it's supposed to be grain, soy and corn free but Bea got really allergic to it (she's not allergic to chicken, so that should be safe). Right now, we are back on earth born.
  • The Girls usually eat Taste of the Wild, but they also get whatever other quality food may be on sale or raw stuff. Conker is currently on EVO Red Meat, but he normally eats raw food.
  • If I had to pick one commercial brand, I would say Honest Kitchen!

But the Bows get so much variety, it's hard for me to say. They're currently eating Fromm for morning kibble, as they have been since July because we had a bunch of coupons/special offers and ended up getting a lot of free food that has lasted us this long...
  • Saya eats raw, but her favorite raw meal has to be whole prey quail.

Saya does like kibble too she's had wellness core ocean, from pork formula, fromm beef, fromm duck or whatever, and some other kibble forgot the brand. I gave them as training treats not meals she loves all the kibble so far.

Bella she's had all above to eat and she seems like each brand she gets rotated on.

Saya and Bella has had honest kitchen for a snack or small meal she likes it.
  • Right now I'm using Blue Buffalo: Life Protection Puppy - Lamb & Oatmeal. I used to give Tsune (my Shiba with skin issues) Blue Buffalo Salmon and it was awesome, his coat grew back in excellent shape, great shine and fur quality. Ren gets her kibble every day and dinner is occasionally switched out for raw chicken/turkey/beef or an egg cracked over her kibble so she grows up with a good immune system, once I find a new job she'll have a lot more raw in her diet lol.
  • I used to use EVO, especially with my Akita. Ninja has skin problems but Evo helped out a lot. I should have wrote them a letter before they were rebranded.

Now I use Ori-jen's salmon blend Eevee seems to like it as well.
  • Goro and ChoCho LOVE Earthborn Holistic: Coastal Catch. :)
  • Nanook gets orijen I rotate between flavors so right now hes eating the orjien fish formula i dont remember if its fish and chicken or just fish because i throw the back out and store the kibble in a container and he gets ziwipeak as a topper only once a week though since its so expensive and he gets a raw egg once a week as well since i remember eating too many eggs in a week is bad. When i can afford it nanook will be eating raw
  • Toki didn't like Innova, got tired of TOTW pretty quickly, and liked blue buffalo grain (chicken).
    I've just switched him to Orijen. We will see! :)
  • Mika is on Fromm Puppy. She was on Merrick but phew that kid farted a lot on it. he he. And Koda gets gas from Orijen. It's horrid.

Koda is on Great Life, but I'm thinking of switching to Earth Born Holistic. Glad to hear others are on it. @ttddinh @hinata23 How do you like it?
  • @tjbart17 - Does it get confusing to feed Mika and Koda different brands?

I have thought about doing that with my two, but with my crazy hectic life, I would screw it up. I find it much easier to feed them both the same thing (luckily, I found a decent food that works well for both of them, but with Nola's health issues, I know that it might only be a matter of time before I have to feed her something different).

I currently feed Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain (the lamb variety) and it works very well for both of my pups.
  • All the dogs love it. I thought merricks was good bc the dogs liked it but I suspect Kilbe may be allergic to it, she lost a bunch of hair.
  • There's even a puppy version of it and the pellets are so small
  • @sunyata Nope it doesn't get confusing. Puppy food is smaller than adult food. She will eventually go on Koda's food. I'm just trying not to switch her yet. But she has figured out that Koda gets something different, and she always wants what Koda wants.

@ttddinh I didn't know they had a puppy version. Good to know!
  • I use to feed a couple different foods. With my crazy schedule it became easier to feed everyone the same thing. Everyone is currently on Fromm puppy here. It actually helped with my underweight issues I was having.
  • @ttddinh Good to know. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it. It looks like I can get it close to my parent's house. Which is convenient for me to drop a bag off there. Mei gets fed the same food as Koda to make things less complicated when we watch each other's dogs.
  • @tjbart17 We LOVE it! I recommended it to my parents and my aunt and they're super happy with it. My aunt's corgis used to shed like crazy and she was always overwhelmed by it. She called me the other day, though, to thank me and tell me that I saved her sanity because now they barely shed, and their coats are really nice! lol Same thing with my parents' dogs. We are all using the Coastal Catch flavor. I've tried the both the Primitive and Great Plains (Bison) ones, as well, but Goro and ChoCho were super gassy with them, especially the Primitive one, so we're sticking with Coastal Catch for now.

Anyway, I couldn't give it a higher recommendation!
  • Feeding two different foods here, too. Reilly seems to lose mass easily in her old age, so I feed her high protein grain free rocket fuel as much as I can afford to. But that would be like giving Sage a triple shot of espresso, and nobody needs that, so he is doing very nicely on his calming carbs. I rotate brands and proteins, plus the pack splits a can of tripe a few times a week. When we have a coupon, we get raw patties or spring for THK. Salmon oil, too, and sardines or canned mackerel. When I can get fresh raw, Sage and Juno eat that. We used to add Missing Link, too. they like warm water they get on their food for Missing Link. Juno usually eats what Reilly eats, but sometimes she gets Sage's food for fun or to make Reilly's last longer. I guess we mix it up a lot.
  • @hinata23--LOL Kaiju LOVES the primitive one!!
  • edited October 2012
    @ttddinh ChoCho and Goro loved it too! I wish their gas didn't smell like death. Not joking... it smelled like a dead animal. I even tried giving ChoCho Bene-Bac. She had running green deathly smelly stool for 2 months. Once I changed it to Coastal Catch I saw a difference right away. It's too bad... I really liked the higher protein levels. :) (Coastal Catch is a high protein kibble, but Primitive is slightly higher.)

I love Earthborn Holistic! And I love that the pooches love it as well!
  • Does anyone's dogs eat less amount of their kibble if they're on a high protein kibble like Orijin?

Toki seems to like his new kibble, but he doesn't finish it. Normally he eats about 3-4 cups a day, but with this high protein stuff, he seems to be done eating quickly. Is there something to this?
  • @Jellyfart I have no idea. My dogs finish eating quickly... but they eat it ALL quickly. Maybe he doesn't like it and gets tired of eating it. Maybe try adding fish oil to his food. It makes the food smell extra yummy and it's good for them too!
  • Jelly-
    Yes, you should feed less of the high-octane stuff. If Toki;s done, believe him. Its very rich and a reason that some dogs have trouble (gas, runs) with the high protein stuff is that they eat too much of it. 3-4 cups a day of Orijen is a lot. In fact its sort of disappointing how little you are supposed to give them- when ive fed Sage hi test he looks at me like WTH? That's it? He eats good food but with grains now, like Prairie, Innova.

I LOVE ice cream. I like many brands of ice cream, but I love best Ben & Jerry's. This summer a local place began making their own ice cream with fresh local real ingredients and it was rich, velvety, almost like mousse, and defintely higher in fat/cream than anything Ive ever had. The chocolate flavor was deep- it was great! BUT- I cant stand eating more than a small amount of it. In fact, I began to actually like it LESS because there was no duration- I could eat one little 1/4 cup of the local ice cream, and be SO done in a minute- or I could savor the flavor and experience of sharing a pint of Half Baked with Jeff and Raye. Jeff (who discovered the local ice cream) couldnt be-LIEVE Id prefer a factory ice cream to this amazing local one. But it's true.

Thinking too about how we try to prolong dogs' mealtimes with puzzles and dispensing toys, I think there is value in a satisfying meal, or else we'd all eat only Total cereal and multivitamins. :) In the end, whatever works best for the dog you have!
  • @Wryly thanks! I'm used to feeding him how much ever he wants at mealtime because he definitely isn't the bottomless pit like he used to be as a puppy, so I'll just continue to listen to him when he is done eating. I guess it makes sense though, protein fills you up quicker than carbs.
  • @jellyfart Yup, they generally eat less of the higher protein foods. Most of them tend to have more calories per cup too, so they should just eat less than the other stuff. That's not always the case though, Innova has grains and is lower protein and is a pretty high-calorie food. Conker ate the same amount of Innova as EVO but he does a lot better on EVO than Innova.

I gave my Mom's dogs a day's serving of Conker's EVO once and both of them looked at me like: "Dafaq is this? Not enough, more please." It was very entertaining.
  • Recently I switched my border collie from Blue Buffalo to Go! Fit and Free grain free kibble (the chicken, turkey, and trout variety). She hasn't been on it long enough for me to form much of an opinion, but she seems less gassy. Maybe. But I know my 2 year old male cat thinks my dog's new food is awesome. He likes to steal it to eat.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/go-natural-grain-free/
  • Thanks for all your answers. everyone feeding different food to their dogs!!
    I'm still feeding Innova for My dogs. still puppy food for 1.5 years old and 11 months old.
    I can't really give them different food, like adult for 1.5 puppy foood for 11 months since they share their food.
    Is it ok to feed puppy food till more than 2 years? I heard some ppl feeding puppy food till 4-5 years old dogs.
  • I found that mixing Orijin with a less rich food (I use Nutro Ultra) was the best option for Sachi. She likes the Orijin, and it is good for her coat, but her system can't handle it. With 1/3 Orijin 6 fish and 2/3 of the Nutro, she gets what I like about the Orijin and her poo is the correct consistency. Hope that isn't an over share.