Tsune got a new home and a new best friend

edited September 2012 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
It's a little belated posting this, but I've had a really hard time letting go of him. I know he's happy so I've been putting all my thoughts and energy into Ren.

Tsune, my Shiba, got a new home two weeks ago. Even with Ren here he was getting depressed and acting out (peeing on beds/pillows) when I wasn't home, and this had started before getting Ren. It was a steady escalation of anxiety. I really hadn't planned past picking him up so he wouldn't get dropped off at the pound. I posted in a few places and heavily screened potential owners. Posted with simple instructions for the applicants name, what animals they have in their home, how long they've owned them, what do they know about Shibas/are they familiar with the breed, and what is their lifestyle like. Roughly 20 people wrote back, with only three being able to follow instructions. Out of those three only one was suitable for him, since he's so high energy, needs someone to be around often without being left completely alone at home for long periods of time (6+ hours).

I ended up getting in touch with a woman who already owned a Shiba, with her other Shiba having passed away a few months back. Her remaining Shiba is a tiny 8 year old named Sachi. I must have left the window open because it was raining on my face for the last hour of the drive, Tsune was my first dog ever and he'd become my best friend. I still miss him a lot, especially since every night he would hop up and sleep under my arm the second I'd get in bed.

I was really worried that he wouldn't get along with Sachi, since Tsune hasn't been very friendly with other dogs at the dog park or on walks, he'd usually be the one going after the other dog looking to finish the fight, even if he hadn't been the one to start it. He didn't do anything to start trouble thankfully, even on leash which is extremely unusual. She was snarky to him though. After 30mins of sitting on the floor outside letting the dogs interact, followed by a 30min walk we went inside to see how they played/got along and... the little 8 year old girl Shiba started play bowing and hopping up with her front legs on his sides trying to get him to play! After 30mins they were best friends and chasing each other around the apartment, chasing toys, and just following eachother around. I'd NEVER seen him this friendly and happy with another dog before in the entire 6 months or so that I've had him! He was friendly with Ren and they'd chase eachother outside and stuff, but she didn't play too much inside with him since she was still new to the house and nervous to explore anywhere besides the upstairs hallway and my room. She followed up with me several times over the next week and a half to make sure she was feeding him a proper diet and giving him enough activity and from what I saw + what she tells me he seems extremely happy. Tsune and Sachi sleep together on the bed with their own chosen spots (one on each side of the owner's feet), eat together, play together, and take walks together. And no acting out/accidents in the house!

I put a lot of thought into the decision and then a lot of time into finding him the right home. I'm really happy for him. As sad as I may be to lose him, he's in the home he deserves. A stay-at-home owner with another Shiba who is practically an older, female version of him. Just as active and energetic as he is, loves to run and run and run, and speaks Shiba.

Here are a few pictures of him and his new bff :)

Getting ready to leave for Tampa (his new home) and Orlando (my and Ren's new home)

Sneaking in a quick nap, I was just procrastinating at this point because I wanted to steal more time with him...

Almost there, it ended up being 12 hours total, left at 6pm, got to Tampa around midnight (new owner and her boyfriend are night owls, since he works nights)

Tsune and Sachi

"Am I getting yelled at or does she want to play?"

Comments

• That's awesome that you found him a good home and he's happy now! It's really hard giving up a pet that you love but when you see how happy they are it makes you feel like you did the right thing.
  • wow, what a story! You will always miss him, but it sounds like this turned out very well for Tsune. and you made sure it would!
  • @rafatturi @WrylyBrindle Yeah it all turned out so perfectly, I was really happy for him. He was having a blast and he really needed another dog (especially a Shiba!) that understood his playing. So I miss him but can't really be sad about since I know he's having such a blast :)
  • Awww! (That is both a happy and a sad aww)

You know, sometimes the best thing to do for our dogs is the hardest. And it sounds like you did the best thing for Tsune in this case. So congrats on knowing that you were not the best place for him and double congrats on finding him a home that he is happy in!

And at least you can still visit on occasion, since Tampa is not TOO far from Orlando. :) I am so glad that it all worked out and that Tsune is having a blast with his new owner and sister. Any chance you could get his new owner to join the forum?
  • Aw, that's hard, but I also think you did the right thing. Glad he found a good home!
  • The skyway is so pretty.
  • like @sunyata said, it's both sad and happy news....
  • @sunyata Yeahhh it's only about an hour and fifteeen minutes away, and I'm welcome to come visit them with Ren any time :) So not too bad

@shibamistress @ttdinh It's hard to be sad about it because he's so in happy with his new girlfriend haha, they really love eachother and do everything together. I'm glad he's where he needs to be :)

@Zinja I never knew about it until I drove there, it was pretty great! If it was closer to the city and had a sidewalk it'd be a nice place to walk on a cool evening
  • edited September 2012
    @cezieg Wow, you are one strong person. I tried to do what you did, but didn't have to strength to return her to Brad and Jen! Luckily ChoCho improved and is now happy with us! I'm glad Tsune found a great home!!! :o)
  • @Hinata23 Thanks it was really hard! I cried a lot driving Tsune over, but then he was absolutely in love with Sachi so it made it a lot easier, and knowing he's really happy was really the only way. I would have just said "Nope can't do it" and drove off with him if they didn't get along like they did and I didn't feel confident in the owner.
    ChoCho doesn't look like she could be any less happy with you and Goro though so I'm glad you stuck it out! :) It always makes my day seeing your pictures of Goro and ChoCho being goofs too haha.
  • @cezieg Aw thank you! I always hope I'm not driving people crazy with my picture posts lol