importing Hokkaido from Japan

Hello everyone! I haven't really commented or been active on the forum, but I have been doing tons and TONS of reading. It's strange that I feel like I "know" some of you and your dogs, but you all have no idea who I am. In that sense, it's kinda creepy I guess. But it is through this forum, that I've been able to do most of my research on the various Nihon Kens, educate myself, and developed a deep interest in the Hokkaido and Shikoku. I will admit though, I came here looking to learn about the Japanese Akita, but after spending time here, I've obviously developed new preferences.

I am actually in the middle of talking to a breeder in Japan and Shigeru about importing either a Shikoku or a Hokkaido. Eventually, I want both. I know that Katja in BC breeds Shikoku, and I've emailed her, but I haven't been able to get a response from her yet. I'm assuming she's really busy right now. Not that I'm in a huge rush, but the breeder in Japan said he won't export a puppy in winter and in summer due to extreme weather conditions that aren't good for the puppy. I'm from Toronto, Canada, and we basically only have 2 seasons. Winter and summer. Oh, but we DO have a very small window that is reminiscent of fall and spring... from what I've read in stories at least. Our "autumn and spring" is pretty much 1 month - 2 at the most.

My questions is, what are the notable differences in each breed? This is excluding the personality traits that develop due to environment, circumstances, and upbringing, but I mean I guess the basic differences of the two breeds?
(I've also tried messaging the Hokkaido breeder in Poland, Robert? But maybe it's because he hasn't been active, but I also haven't gotten a response from him yet either)

Shigeru actually pointed me to this link:
http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/4671/nihon-ken-breed-differences/#Item_54

and while I found it to be pretty educational, it still didn't tell me much about the Hokkaido. I understand there's limited information out there, but if someone could even from knowledge or memory illustrate the differences I would really REALLY really appreciate it! :)

Thanks so much in advance!

Angela

Comments

• I met one Hokka while in Japan, so I have no info for you... But, I wanted to write this: Get a Hokka from Inoue-san! That family is so nice. :o)

Also, when you get your Hokka, come on the forum and tell us about him/her. We have no first-hand info here on them.

----
  • @brada1878 Oh, I fully intend on it! I need as much advice as possible and would love to discuss! Who's Inoue-san? And you mean, that "family" as in humans or dogs? :)
  • @thegela - Inoue-san is a gentleman who breeds Hokka. His brother (also Inoue-san) breeds Kai Ken too, and I have imported several dogs from him. They are very nice people - the whole family.
  • @thegela Inoue-san is a friend of ours. I got my first Kai, Haru, from him. She's now living with Brad & Jen.
  • @brada1878 @thewalrus oh cool! Then perhaps Inoue-San is the way to go for a Hokkaido. I wish there was more information on them! But every little bit of information makes me want to bring one over. Maybe I should just fly there and visit kennels.
  • Since I have never met a Hokkaido or a Shikoku I don't have any information to give you beyond what you have probably already read on the forum (like the breed write-ups by Shigeru). But I totally think you should import a Hokkaido. Do it. :) I might be a little biased, though.
  • @thegela - I will be in your shoes in about a year or so if things pan out the way I think they will. I have met one Hokkaido, and I immediately fell in love! And I am planning to import in the next two or three years... So I vote for Hokkaido. :-D
  • @whobitme @sunyata hahah aww! and it's not because it's so rare in north america and everyone already has a shikoku right?? ;P
  • Haha... Not at all. Shikoku are awesome dogs and they are absolutely beautiful.

But Hokkaido are better. :-D
  • @sunyata haha why do u think so?? There must be something...
  • I like hokkaido too.

I'm hoping to import one someday as a nice hiking buddy it'll be while from now though.

I really love Saya my shiba too, but I like how Hokkaido seem more muscle and do well in the outdoors.

Though Saya loves outdoors too if I'd allow her to she'd stay out all night, but not safe due to no fence.

Video I seen hokkaido are vocal breed.

I never met one before, but out of the Japanese breeds I like this one seen some nice pictures and video.

My parent's live on 16acres so be fun place for a pup to explore.

Brindle, red, and B&T hokkaido is my favorite coloring, but temperament is more important so whatever coloration I get is third choice when it comes to health and temperament..
  • By the way someone asked me about a black and white brindle Hokkaido in a Shiba magazine. It's issue #44. Great article about it also if you are able to read Japanese.
  • edited September 2012
    I am going up to Hokkaido next month to meet some breeders and see some dogs so I will give everyone an update when I get back. I too am thinking Hokkaido or Shikoku and can't make up my mind. I will be leaving Japan and moving to Canada next year (been saying that since 1992!!) and am planning on bringing a dog back with me.
  • @jeffnkazuko - I would not be upset if you brought one back for me, too! :)
  • @shishiinu I think that might have been me asking about the black and white brindle. Is issue 44 from 2012?

@jeffnkazuko *cough*youwantaHokkaido*cough* Succumb to the pure awesomeness of the Hokka.

@sunyata @thegela I'm planning on importing a Hokkaido as well. I have finally gotten to the point where I am confident that now is a good time to really begin my search now that my border collie seems to have stopped throwing surprise health issues as me (what a fun summer). I'm hoping for a Hokkaido in the next year or so, but I realize it might take longer than that.

As far as "Hokkaido are better" for some reason I have always found that a bit difficult to explain to people. Partly because most people have no idea what a Hokkaido is (except for my family.... some of whom are now pretty convinced of Hokkaido Awesomeness) and partly because once I explain about them and show pictures people wonder why I would want a dog "like that" (one that is not the uber-friendly type and seems more of a challenge) or they ask why I would want a dog that looks so plain/isn't flashy. But really it's all of those things that I like so much. I love what I've read about their personalities, I love the simple beauty of their looks. I guess it really comes down to personal preferences. I've been putting a lot of thought into this ever since I joined this forum and I still can't explain it well to others because when I try to describe it it sounds silly.

My brother just informed me I should describe it like this: "The electrical pulses generated by my eyes when I see pictures of this dog stimulate neurons in my brain into happiness." I'm not sure that makes any more sense though.
  • "a dog that looks so plain/isn't flashy"

I don't think Hokkaido are plain.. I think one things make Japanese dog's great is their natural beauty.

Coarse everyone have their own vision what a plain dog or flashy dog looks like. To some a lab is plain to some a lab is awesome or GSD and so on everyone has their own likes and dislikes..

Good luck everyone on the time you get your hokkaido pup..

What name are you planning to name him/her?
  • Issue 44 is from 2007 I think...
  • Just my two cents but I think a traditional Ainu name would be the only way to name a Hokkaido.
  • edited September 2012
    I agree I haven't decided on a name if boy or girl, but I'll probably have some picked, but change it based on personality of the dog.

I'm looking around coarse this won't happen for long time so I have plenty of time.

@sunyata where did you meet a Hokkaido?
  • @jeffnkazuko oh cool! you're moving to Canada? My husband and I are thinking of moving to Japan for a bit. We should exchange friends and homes. haha

@WhoBitMe My brother just informed me I should describe it like this: "The electrical pulses generated by my eyes when I see pictures of this dog stimulate neurons in my brain into happiness." I'm not sure that makes any more sense though.
    That makes sense to me. :) I guess it's like falling in love with a person. In this case - a breed. No real rhyme or reason?

It's hard because I really want one of each. (Maybe not JA though...) sigh!
    I wish the Hokkaido wasn't so mysterious. I'd like to know the little things, like how Kai have been found to be good with children (love that)
    and how Shibas have a shiba scream, and you know, unique traits and quirks that are a part what defines their breed.

• edited September 2012
    On a side note, I've never understood the part of the Japanese Akita (and other Nihon Ken) breed standard that talks about the dog's beauty and fanciness. I don't have the standard on hand to reference right now for the exact wording, but I always felt it was very strange because I like the JA in part because they are so exotic and beautiful.
  • So far every member who gets a hokka disappears soon afterwards. I'm writing down names and if you guys disappear I am personally hunting you people down :P
  • Maybe Hokkaido are mythical dogs which take them into some unkown realm to help them battle their enemies? :D

Yeah I know we used to have couple owners, but they stopped posting.

Though I understand people have their own lives and things come up.

I won't disappear maybe post less if busy, but I'd be sure post pictures and video.
    This hokkaido sounds sad.. hehe

• Promise to post lots of pics next month. Looking forward to getting up to Hokkaido again and really looking forward to getting Hokkaido Inu overload.
  • @jeffnkazuko really looking forward to those photos!!
    @saya I've been watching that hokkaido's videos as well! He always seems to have a mournful sound. Not sure if it's because he's old - which he kinda seems like.. but he's so freakin cute with this toys... munch munch..

I'm actually thinking I'm going to wait a bit more before deciding. Not that there's not enough information, but my husband and I are either going to visit or move to Japan in the next year or so, so it might be wiser to wait until we either know for sure, or until we actually get there. Yay!
  • Where in Japan are you looking to move?
  • @Nicole, I loved that....maybe the Hokkas take them away to a mythical realm!

Maybe by the time I'm ready for another dog, they'll be hokkas around and I'll be able to get one! I still want a girl AA from Liberty though....I'd love to have a pup from her boy Bugatti, who is just the sweetest Akita ever!
  • @thegela, Moving to Japan might mean putting the dog on hold. Although it is getting a bit easier these days I really think you would have a hard time finding a place that would let you keep a Hokkaido or a Shikoku. Also, if you move to Tokyo a really hard time finding the money to live in a place big enough to keep one! When do you think you might plan a visit??
  • @shishiinu Thanks!

@okiron I'm glad you'll be there to keep Hokkaido Ken people on the forum. Possibly also a little afraid. But definitely glad.

@saya Yeah, I've never thought of them as being "plain." Then again I don't think I've ever thought of any dog breed as plain now that I think about it. :) And as far as names go, I have a few names picked out for a male (which is what I am hoping for), and I haven't found any females names yet that I have seriously considered. None of them are Ainu names, though (Sorry @shishiinu ), mostly because I hadn't thought along those lines before. I'll probably look up some Ainu names and see if any names stick out.

@thegela I've found a handful of youtube users who post Hokkaido videos to "stalk" (not literally :3 ). They're all so fun to watch. And I understand wanting to know about little quirks of the breed. Then again, maybe not knowing all these quirks will be like discovering hidden treasure, haha. I guess I'm lucky in that I have never really wanted all of the Japanese breeds (knock of wood that saying so doesn't come back to haunt me). It's basically been "Hokkaido and Border Collie for me."
  • @whobitme haha don't be too scared, I'm incredibly lazy and with kid #2 coming everyone will have plenty of time to run :P