Earthbath

edited September 2012 in Products & DIY
Has anyone ever tried the earthbath cherry for puppies? Or any other earthbath products?

Comments

• I've used earthbath mangotango and the peppermint eucalyptus.

I never looked at cherry kind.. Store used to sell it stopped so I have to order it.

They do have a puppy formula maybe that would work.

I never used it on small pups so not sure.
  • It's great for puppies and adults.
  • Brad and Jen bathed Goro with the Earthbath cherry puppy shampoo and he smelled SO GOOD when we picked him up, and his coat was stayed soft for a while!

We currently use the Earthbath Oatmeal one, and ChoCho and Goro's coats come out super soft with it, too. I would also recommend both the wipes for faces and feet as well as the spray for when they get dirty, but not dirty enough for a bath. The spray also makes their fur really soft.
  • I see a lot of comments about soft fur.

Aren't these dogs suppose to have a prickly harsh outer coat?
  • We have a bottle of Earthbath tea tree and aloe shampoo as our main non-medicated go-to shampoo. It's lovely.

The Shiba comes out feeling super soft and fluffy from his undercoat getting thoroughly soaked and washed... yet his outer coat remains stiff and healthy after everything is dry. I guess clean fur (specifically the undercoat) doesn't get weighed down so easily, giving it an extra soft poof for a while.

It's hard to describe. The shampoo does the job just fine. =)
  • edited September 2012
    Coat texture is important for breeding dogs. Im sure people like having soft pets to pet. I wouldn't use this for a show bath, but for pets it's fine IMO.
  • I feel like a weirdo because I really love my dogs to have a very nice, clean and crisp (almost coarse) coat after their baths instead of soft ones! All of my coworkers love the Earthbath Tea Tree and Earthbath Oatmeal we had in because of how soft the dogs' coats are afterwards.
  • I like whatever makes them shed the least. Soft, coarse, I don't care, I just don't want to be inhaling it. I found that spraying the coats with apple cider vinegar as a conditioner made their fur really smooth, so the fur brushed out more easily. I should do that again.
  • ACV is great for people's hair too....shiny and soft. I made a spray for Leo to help him stop itching some, and it has ACV and oatmeal water in it (and aloe vera and some EOs) I don't know if it is helping, but he smells good!

And I don't think their coats are supposed to be prickly! Coarse, yes, but I don't think bathing them takes that away. The outer coat is still coarse, but the undercoat is softer and fluffier. And actually, my Akita's outercoat is not that coarse, naturally, and it does feel pretty good. But he's the most willing to enjoy being petted and hugged anyway, so I'm glad his coat is soft.
  • A good Shiba coat will feel a little prickly.
  • @ayk Yes, they are suppose to have somewhat coarse coats (kai's coats are a little softer). When I said "soft" I didn't mean Golden Retriever soft, but as soft and healthy feeling as a coarse coat can feel and look.
  • I guess a Shiba coat can feel slightly prickly if you go the wrong way against the guard hairs, but I think of prickly as terrier hair. Or Sharpei! *lol*
  • Shar Pei have several coat types, horse, brush and bear. The horse coats are really irritating on my skin and I know people who have gotten rashes from them. The brush coat (my preference) is most like a good Shiba coat IMO, but there isn't as much undercoat as in Shibas. The undercoat softens up the prickly feel in Shibas as it's so much thicker in general than Shar Pei undercoat, but no, they are definitely not coarse/wirey like some terrier coats.
  • I've only felt the coat on the Shar Peis that feels like bristles and are irritating to the skin. I never even knew they had different kinds of coats like that! Cool! Sounds like they might look different too. I'm going to have to see if I can find some pics.

(And I had a dog that was supposedly a lab/chow cross, but you know her coat was more a combo of oily lab and something bristly, and sometimes it gave me a rash if I petted her a lot, and I have always wondered if she was shar Pei/lab cross, not lab/chow cross. She looked like a black Kai Ken with a very short coat and her tongue was entirely purple).