Our Kai Ken progress

edited September 2012 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Hello!

Our Kai Ken (we renamed him Loki) is getting better but still could use some work. We've had him for.. four or five months? He still hides and is very skiddish around the house. He usually just hides in the corner with half moon eyes. Once in a while he'd come out to be pet on the side. He even wagged his tail once!

We'd love any, ANY tips to help him out! It's so painful to see the little guy so fearful when all we want to do is help and show him we love him.

He does take treats! I usually just feed it to him at his hiding spot, moving slowly away from it until he doesn't want to go any further. He loves walking with my other dog, a corgi. He seems to get along with dogs in general! :)

I am not sure what specific info you would need to help give us advice so please feel free to ask!

Comments

• Hi welcome to the forum! As for the shyness, id take it really slow (sounds like u are). If Loki is food or toy motivated perhaps give that to him and over time, leave a trail for him closer and closer near you?
  • http://fearfuldogs.com/ is a helpful resource and provides some exercises to work on.
  • I'm writing you a longer post, but I have to go to work and need to breifen up. Where are you guys? If you are in New England, I can point you to some good, very wise trainers I have worked with with my anxious dog, and I would be happy to speak with you by phone. Its so much to type...but what I want to describe for you is foundation stuff- pressure, safe places, expectations, believing the dog, and putting your emotions aside a bit. You want him to come out so you can show him how much you love him, but he may be actually afraid of that emotional pressure. It sounds like you have made some progress, and that he loves your corgi is great, too! But I found in my journey with Sage (ever ongoing!) that even great training and exercises dont work as well as they should if the foundation has any wobblyness- if the house is too busy, the walk is too long ( to him!), if we have to walk by the house where the dog he hates lives- even if that dog is not outside, if he cant retreat and completely and utterly relax, if your 'normal' is *Still* somehow too much for him, if you miss subtle signs, if days are too unpredictable, if he doesnt want to meet any new people coming over, etc.

It is very frustrating and heartbreaking and stressful on the whole household living with a fearful dog- it is not what any of us imagined when we eagerly drove out to pick up our new dog, and especially new owners need support- new to fearful dogs, new to kai kens. It is also REALLY important to know that whatever trainers tell you, it is really likely that he has a skittish default setting, and its OKAY to accept him as "the skittish one" and respect his discomfort. You must be careful how you define success for him. I found having more dogs that I was better able to appreciate that one is anxious and needy, one is cool and aloof, one is a party in fur. They are just different, and I know it *sounds* obvious, but they are different 'people' and you didnt make them that way (you didnt 'mess him up') and you cant unmake them that way.

I dont know enough about Loki to be specific to your situation, what youve already worked on, what his triggers are but I will be happy to speak with you if you like.
  • @WrylyBrindle I just read your comment in response to @Travis and wish to know of the wise trainers you speak of in New England. My fiancee and I are looking to acquire a pup from Yamabushi Kennel and we live just outside Boston. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
  • @MysticRhythms

Id be happy to talk or email with you - I lived most of my life in Mass, and have three dogs (and a 4th - kai- pup coming in mere weeks!)
    Depending on how close you live to Boston, the best trainer I ever worked with was Marjie Alonso at City Dog Training in Somerville, and anyone she recommends will be fantastic- I just saw that she isnt taking any new clients, ATM, but if you write her for a referral, she will not steer you wrong! I have had friends go to Gemini Training Center which is North of Boston, MasterPeace dog training center in Franklin if you live south of Boston. While I had dogs, I lived near Worcester, but I drove to Franklin because the trainers were good (you have to pay a little bit of attention, one of the older ones I have found to have preconceptions about NK, BUT that's really just one old guy...) The NewEngland Dog Training Club run great classes with kind, encouraging methods- but they are in the city. Vera Wilkinson, I think is in Newton, Mass- she is a protege of Marjie, and highly recommended as well. Im kindof shooting around all over the place here, but if you want to talk in detail my email is art@chryscleary.com. I live in Southern Vt now, but Im happy to talk kai ken and to help anyone new to the breed! :)
  • @Travis Hey! Just saw this thread, sorry there were a lot of threads getting replied to and created in this last week. Not sure how I missed this one back when it was first posted too, hopefully you're still browsing the forum here.

I have an 8 month old Kai (Ren) who is fearful/nervous around strangers in the house and a bit less in public. I've been keeping updates going in her thread about how getting her more relaxed and integrated into the household has been going, you might be able to copy some things that I do with her. Write back if you're still here and I'll write more