Uncommon Breeds in Camp

edited September 2012 in Other Breeds
Luna Bear (an 8 m/o LGD mix) and Josel, an 8 m/o Boerboel.

Comments

• Ah! I suppose I'll spotlight some others, though not from today.

Basenjis! We actually have quite a few Basenji in camp because there's a Basenji breeder not too far away from us and quite a few local Basenji. The Basenji we see in camp seem to come in two flavors. One "flavor" are the Basenji from Eldorado (the nearby breeder) and then the rest of the Basenji population. Be it by breeding or by nurture, the Eldorado dogs seem to have a temperament more suited for camp and large groups of dogs whereas the other Basenji seem to be a little more standoffish and more about the people-attention.
  • Basenjiiiiiii! =)

I have heard great things about Eldorado B's. I'm amused that you separate them into the Eldorado B's and... everyone else. Haha.
  • Aww basenjis are adorable.
  • edited September 2012
    @curlytails - they really are their own type! It's kind of incredible. They have an excellent temperament - I mean, I like the Basenji temperament anyway, but the Eldorado Basenjis seem to be more... "bombproof" and social with the other dogs, less reactive and have this fun-loving, almost "mushy" personality when it comes to the things they like.

They DO seem to be a little wary when they aren't comfortable, though. I don't know if that's a trait of all Basenji, but the "other" Basenji just seem to want to find someone to cling to so they DO feel comfortable.
  • Is Piggy's head longer, or is it just the angle of the shot?
  • Love the pictures basenji are one my favorite breeds.
  • edited September 2012
    Basenjis! One of my faves too!

• @poeticdragon - I think it's a bit of both! Piggy has a larger head (and huuuuge ears) than Dioge - I'm not sure if that has to do with the "line"/breeder or if it has to do with sexual dimorphism...
  • I like Piggy better, but I know nothing about basenjis lol.
  • edited September 2012
    Now... since they're so popular...
    Piggy's ridiculously large ears.

Annie, his "sister" (out of the same household), from the same breeder.

More Pig, since he's a star.

Another of Dioge and her "brother", Ra. Ra is also from Eldorado.

Macey, a rescue.

that's all the Basenji flood I have!
  • Thanks for the Basenji flood. =) I really want a brindle someday... Apparently they're more popular on the East coast. But who knows where I'll be when I'm finally in a position to add another dog!
  • edited September 2012
    Next time I get more pictures, I'll put up all the Japanese breeds we see in Camp. But I'll leave you with Duke... who I've been told is an Akita x Lab.

• Awww, Duke is adorable. Really takes after the Lab parent though!
  • (I'm really not sold on the Akita thing, but others are.)
  • dawww, i love the basenji ears!! :)
  • I love those brindle Basenjis! The others are cool too.
  • Love those basenji and their happy ears!

That Boerboel is super fat tho :o(
  • edited September 2012
    @brada1878 - she -is- a very well loved little girl.

Now Shikoku time! Mura's the reason I came to the forum in the first place! I've probably shared most of her boarding pictures before...

And Nala! The AA! Nala is a sweetie.

Shiba Inu, Griffin! Griff is actually great friends with Piggy, the Basenji.
  • Wow, Griffin is handsome!
  • I love Mura's face so beautiful. :)

Nala is a neat looking akita too.
  • Love the pics! Nala is pretty! I think the being suspicious of change is pretty typical of AAs, or it is in my experience anyway!

Really cool to see the different dogs!
  • Great pictures! I love Piggy's big ears lol