Kumano Inu

edited August 2012 in Other Breeds
I was chatting on facebook with some friends who do classical martial arts in the Nagoya area and we wound up talking about dogs. I asked if there were lots of Kishu Inu down there, thinking Kishu was both Mie and Wakayama. Somebody posted this video.

Comments

• I really like the brindle on this dog. I'm confused: are these dogs their own breed or are they a particular line of Kishu? They're very interesting with the brindle and black and tan patterns and momma looks like she could run for miles.
  • The kumano inu is a kishu ken but just named after the kumano region. The brindle is really cool! Although many of the kishus from the Kumano region we're mostly white kishus.
  • That a neat looking dog! The pups are cute.
  • Wow, I was thinking a Ki mix...that's cool to see a brindle pattern in Kishu! The coloration and stripe markings are interesting though...kinda odd yet cool. Thanks for sharing!
  • Uuuugghhh, waaannnt. :(
  • Cute pups, and a very cool-looking dog! I didn't know the Kishu came in darker colors (ignorance, haha).
  • So cool I love colored kishu white ones are cool too. :)
  • Any dog/breed in Japan with 地犬 (local dog) in the breed name is for all sakes and purposes, a mix breed. The Kishu gene pool came out of these local dogs, including the local dogs from Kumano, but there is no registry, and hunters will add dogs from other areas/breeds at will and continue calling their dogs Kumano (the same can be said for just about every other hunting 地犬 line).