New rescue Keeva

edited August 2012 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Hello everyone.

We rescued a dog a few weeks back. She is such a sweetheart and fast learner. She came from South Carolina as a owner surrender and is about 2-2.5 years old. I have a feeling she was neglected but not abused. She knew absolutely no commands and was a little spastic. She spent some time at a shelter in NY and was heartworm positive so after treatment spent more time at the owner of the shelters horse farm until she was cleared to be active again. She has been labeled as everything from chow, husky, shiba, shepherd, and cattle dog. I personally think she is Shepherd/Shiba Inu. I see shepherd in her face and Shiba with the red coat and poof tail. Think I am right in my assumption? She is about 40lbs and looks the perfect size between shepherd and shiba.

We feel very blessed to have her in the family. We are still working with her introduction to my english bulldog Trixi and our 2 cats with whom she seems to be very interested in. She chased them a couple times, but is now understanding that NO means to stop the chase. She plays keep away with Trixi but gets a little cranky when it's nap time. Trixi is an old lady now (9) but she is relentless. I have set up many swing gates which I dubbed "The Panama Canal" to protect everyone for now.

Here is Miss Keeva. Thanks for looking.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Comments

• She's cute! Congrats on the new addition.
  • I could see cattle dog. Definitely some spitz breed too.
  • shes a cool looking dog!
  • She is a pretty girl! Congrats on your new addition!!
  • Shiba/Shepard sounds about right. Regardless, she's adorable. Congrats!

Welcome to the forum!
  • Welcome to the forum.
  • Thanks everyone. She is such a ham. I take her to the dog park daily, but she is still a little skiddish of other dogs or people. She actually played with 3 Tibetian Mastifs a few days ago but that was the only time I have seen her come out of her shell. She initiates the play but runs to my side when they play back. I think in time she will be running circles with the others.

Not so much a big deal of what breeds she is, but it just gets a little long winded when people ask me. Definitely spitz breed in her, but is a question of what. She is just now my baby. =)
  • She's really cute. She could very well be a Shepherd/Shiba mix. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen one.
  • Welcome, shes adorable!!