Yamabushi no Moja

edited August 2012 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Hi all,
I'd like to introduce the new addition to our family, Moja. Thank you Brad and Jen for doing an awesome job picking and training her :)

Her name is a play on this term, and is pronounced as such (my vets office is especially bad at recalling her name's pronunciation!).

She's got one sweet gem of a personality, and though I've had trouble getting her to walk around the block (I'm looking for suggestions on improving this)- I have a feeling shes going to be an awesome runner (which suits me super!). She's also taking in the Boston metro area pretty well and has been super good with people and other dogs though she gets pretty scared with larger dogs who bark. Even if they are friendly, she yaps and bolts for it when it happens!
Other than that she has taken things pretty much in stride, and has gotten spooked only once by a particularly tall fire hydrant. Also raging cop cars and their sirens are not her favourite new stimulus ;)

Triumphant that shes gotten me to pull over in the middle of the voyage home:
Moja Day 1
Not really sure what to make of me:
Moja Day 2
Making off with someone's lunch!
Moja Day 5
"I drove all the way to Boston and and all I got was this sucky plush toy":
Moja Day 5
Action shot:
Moja Day 8
"Leashes are not tasty".
Moja Day 8
Moja Day 8
Doggy whirlwind!
Moja Day 8
Gardening:
Moja Day 8
One week anniversary!
Moja Day 8

Comments

• Very cute. I got to meet her before she was dropped off to you. Welcome to the forum
  • She's so cute!

I'm surprised that some of Akashi's pups are scared of some dogs. Akashi is really comfortable with most dogs (as is Haru and Ayu).

----
  • Very cute!! Congrats! :)
  • Sooo cute! Congrats on the new pup!
  • @brada1878 She's not scared unless the other dog is huge (> 90lbs) suddenly barks (out of excitement, or surprise) Then she yips, as if startled by such a response. She's super quiet- think ninja quiet- I've heard her bark once in the two weeks I've had her. Which makes me think that barking in her communication vocabulary is likely reserved to communicate something very specific. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it- its puppy hood afterall.

@sjp051993 Thanks, did you pick up one of her litter mates?

@all, thanks I'll keep updating this thread as she develops :)
  • Cute! Congrats!
  • Congrats and welcome
  • she is adorable!!
  • Congrats and welcome!
  • Congrats! She's a cutie!
  • Congrats! She is cute :).
  • Adorable! All the Kai puppies are making me really want another puppy! :)
  • I actually had her sire for a week. I bred him to my female here. It was nice to meet some Akashi pups. I guess you could say I will eventually have a litter of half siblings to Moja.
  • Adorable. Can't wait to have a Kai pup of my own.
  • So cute! Congrats!
  • She's adorable congratulations and welcome to the forum! :) She has the cutest little inquisitive expression on her, love the pic of her running off with that stuffed animal, it's the same size she is haha

• Thanks all!
    I thought I'd update the thread with pictures from the last two weeks, shes grown alot and has put on some weight! Now picking her up to take her out (I live on the third floor) is quite a work out! The upshot is that shes much better at going for a leashed walk :)
    Here we go:

She absolutely loves this park up the street!
  • she has a sweet face, and I love the light in her puppy fuzz!
  • I agree her face is so sweet. adorable kai ken.
  • She's adorable! Is she from Haru's litter?
  • Daww great new pictures! That park looks like a great place to kick back and have fun with the pup, she also sure has a really nice brown/black/red fur mix :)
  • that face! *melts*
  • So cute!

All these Kai puppies are making me wonder if I want one someday. Probably do.
  • She's cute! :o) She got a nice mix of both Haru and Akashi, it's neat.
  • Oh that is really cute! Congrats!
  • @tjbart17 yep, as Brad mentioned shes from the Haru x Akashi litter, its been a while since I've shot more pictures of her, and shes really shot up- I'll try and get some new photos in the coming days :)
  • So cute !!! *big hug for her*
  • That's awesome! congrats!
  • I finally got around to shooting some video off my phone so its a little herky-jerky:

Size comparison with a shiba (1 year and change) vs a Kai at 4 months
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ4JucP5f5c&feature=plcp

This ones my favourite:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twJnoRKz3cM&feature=plcp
  • Woa, giant yellow blocks!