Hokkaido Ken bear test (videos)

Here is are two videos of Hokkaido taking the bear/hunting test. I thought this might be interesting for those who haven't seen these yet.

I get the feeling the second Hokkaido wasn't all that into it. :)

Comments

• Neat! That second bear looked hella bored.
  • I didn't think either dogs were into it. Maybe they know the bear can't get out.
  • I agree with @ayk, neither dog looks all that driven. I'm sure they aren't stupid, they know the bear is caged. But still, I'd expect a bit more drive.

None the less, nice find!
  • That seems to be a growing trend among the hokkaidos from what I have been told. Almost similar to the Shikoku and the loss of its hunting ability.
  • I agree, they don't appear to have much interest... However, I dunno that I'd want to see them biting at the bear and acting very aggressive either.

I dunno how much this type of test really shows - let's say the dog was very aggressive toward the bear in the cage, does that really mean he/she will make a good bear hunter? There is a lot more these dogs do than just act aggressive toward a bear while on hunt. Only way to really know if they can hunt bear is to hunt over them on bear, and it's a shame that is a pastime that is going the way of the Dodo in Japan...

There is some interesting stuff written by Aleksander V. Popov regarding Russian-style bear (hunt) tests done with Laiki. His feeling is that the tests do more damage to the dog's natural bear-aggression and baying instincts than good. I wonder what he would think about these tests down on the Hokka?

I posted his article here, if you want to read it: http://www.laikaforum.org/forum/discussion/117/pads-journal-31-hunting-laikas-by-aleksander-v.-popov

----
  • Not too long ago, the bears during these tests in Hokkaido used to be done with a tethered bear instead of a caged bear. The dogs were much more aggressive in their approach in barking and circling the bear. It just seems that many of the dogs today either scare away or have no interest in the bear at all.
  • @brada1878 - I don't think aggressiveness is the issue. In my mind, what these dogs lacked was desire and intensity. The first dog has some desire, but lacked intensity and lost interest very quickly. The dog doesn't have to be very forward to do a good job baying. But they do have to keep their eye on the prey, and stay focused. The second dog didn't even have the desire. It clearly wanted to be somewhere else.
  • edited July 2012
    Yeah, now that you guys point it out, the first Hokkaido doesn't seem all that into it either. But more than the second one for sure.

Here are a few more videos.

Just curious, but is a smaller bear used for younger dogs? Or does it not matter?

And then I found this video clip. The brindle(?) Hokkaido at the beginning looks way more into it, is that how you guys would interpret it? It also looks like the bear at the beginning is tethered instead of in a cage, so maybe that is part of it?

• Yea, that brindle guy was into it. Funny how dog-sour that bear was with the white hokka tho. lol
  • I was wondering, does anyone know how young a Hokkaido can be and still take the test?
  • I have seen photos of pups around 5 months and that's the youngest I have seen them in some of my old NK books.
  • Thanks! @shishiinu I've been wondering about that for awhile.
  • Here is a video of a Hokkaido puppy taking the bear test.

• Poor little thing. Wonder if the reaction might be different if it was not pouring rain.
  • lol... That's just stupid.
  • I just witnessed the bear testing in Hokkaido and to be honest most the dogs don't do much around the bear. I was told that since the bear is in a cage the dogs just don't react like they did when the bear was tethered. From what I could see the dogs were more interested in the scent from all the other dogs marking near the cage than the bear. One guy told me his best hunting dog would be all over a bear in the wild but isn't so interested when it sees a caged one.
  • That does make sense a caged bear is more boring as it is just sitting or standing there.

Sad. :\

• As a side note, when Meitou heard the Hokkaido in this video barking, he stopped playing with his jolly ball and stood there listening at attention. And as soon as the barking stopped he went back to playing, lol.
  • edited May 2015

I kind of wish Meitou could try this...
  • The one in the last video's tail is adorable. He doesn't look like he's to sure about that bear though :).
  • Love it! The bear seems pretty chill and laid back, like "Come on bro, what're you going to do? You can't get in here" and that last Hokka "gets it" half way through. I wonder how Genko, Yezo, and Meitou would do!