We had a break-out!

I was on a call chatting with a friend and I saw a "coyote" walk by the trashcan out front. So I went over to Luytiy, who was by the water bowl outside the window, and told him to get his lazy ass up and do his job... He just looked at me like "meh."

Anyway, all the dogs were freaking out at the fence line, it went on for like 20 minutes... I told the person I was talking to I needed to go "move this coyote away fro them fence."

I walk outside... There's Ayu, being naughty. I say "Ayu, what are you doing?" and she came over to greet me. I asked her to follow me back in the house, which she did.

THEN I am in the house with Ayu about to go outside and figure out how she escaped and I see another dog outside the fence (but it's so hard to tell which side of the fence they are on- which I guess is how I didn't notice they were outside the fence) I'm like "WTF???"

So, I leash Ayu (I figured that would make the other Kai more interested since they love walks) and go out with her... Nio comes running up to me with his "Hi dad!" expression. So, I greet him, give him a treat, and then ask him to follow me to the door, which he does without any hesitation.

Good boy Nio, good girl Ayu.

This was the first "tunneling" escape we've had. I spent the rest of the day making the area they escaped inescapable (I hope). This kinda freaks me out a bit! lol ... And I find it ironic that they've been here for with no escape like this for years and now, a month before our move to Flagstaff, they have decided to start escaping. Awesome.

----

Comments

• LOL and here i am discussing with my husband about Kai and if we could ever have one off-leash, at least in certain areas.
  • edited July 2012
    Some of our Kai will bolt, others will not. When we breed we try to keep that in mind and select in a way that limits the risk of them bolting - but it isn't fail-safe. I think Kai will only really run away if they get very spooked, otherwise they are pretty good about not leaving their family.

----
  • @brada1878 I was just telling @obuk that Goro is really good about not bolting... in fact he has never done it :) Again thanks for the awesome selection! :) (Goro's face is looking like Ayu's more and more each day!)

I had my dad dog/monster proof their backyard. We don't want to risk losing Cho or Goro during our moving transition. Two more days... and I'm freaking out. I have no idea how they'll react!

• LoL, I think they're telling you that they don't want to leave NM
  • Nio & Ayu wanted alone time ;) you know how they love each other!
  • haha... Yea, Nio took her out for a date. lol

@Hinata23 - That's good he is taking after his mom... Because Akashi is one of our "bolters". He just wants to leave and do his own Kashi thing... I think Goro may end up looking a lot like Ayu's brother, Tora.

Two days! Be safe! I'd be freaking out too...

----
  • haha... Nio and Ayu on a date. That's a funny thought. A little late for chivalry Nio. LOL
  • @brada1878 That's good :) Tora is a good-looking Kai!
  • Nio better not be creepin'
  • Bad Kai. It's good they came to you!
    There was a while where our dogs were getting out and "guarding" our property... People would cross the street to avoid them since Juneau sounds like she's gonna rip your head off when she barks at people.
  • I once heard whining from the backyard and went out to let the dogs in, since I assumed that's what they wanted. Rakka came in, but I didn't see Sosuke. So I went back in and called him, then there was really loud screaming outside, so I went outside and still didn't see Sosuke. I walked into the yard, and then I saw him - poking his nose under the gate from outside! He escaped, but instead of running away, he just wanted to come back inside. We have three gates in our backyard, and one of them was short enough for the kids to reach the latch, so they were constantly opening it. Eventually, I just nailed it shut, since it's not the gate we use and it was only good for kids letting dogs out.

And I already told the story on Sosuke's thread of how nieces and nephews kept leaving the doors wide open at my parents' house, but Sosuke didn't run away. He's good about that! Rakka isn't, though, and if Rakka runs away, Sosuke will follow her. I think in the story above, Rakka didn't realize the gate was open or it closed before she had a chance to go through.
  • You guys don't ship to Europe, do you? If we do decide to add a Kai to our family in the future that is... :) The reason why i'm asking about bolting is because Mochi, our Shiba tries to get out when and wherever he can. Luckily, we've become pretty good at managing certain situations. How are Kai when they have to stay with someone else for a few days? (i.e. if we ever go on vacation by plane or if an emergency situation occurs)
  • @obuk - Our preservation focus is on North America, however we have had a lot of interest in Europe and perhaps we should consider extending our efforts.
  • @brad1878- Glad that you got the escapees back.

Just out of curiosity, how are you planning to move all the dogs? Kennels in horse trailers? A convoy of SUVs? This is not a totally idle question. There have been instances where wildfires have threatened dog rescues in California and the issue was how to properly evacuate the dogs.
  • edited July 2012
    @sukoshi_mom - Well, for us (since it's not an emergency move), we plan to do it a little bit at a time. We'll take a group of dogs and their crates with some stuff (me or my dad in a truck, Jen in a car with the dogs) and set the dogs up. Then one of us will come back here with the truck and pack more stuff and take a few more dogs back w/ the next round of stuff. Rinse and repeat...

The kennels and Luytiy will be the last to be moved (I think).

----
  • @brada1878 - How much of a drive is it between the houses?
  • @Calia - About 7 hours.
  • Glad everything is fine! one question though, how do you pronounce luytiy?
  • @brada1878 If you do happen to focus on the preservation of the Kai in Europe in the future (5-10 years from now maybe?) please do let me know :)
    Good luck with the move! My husband and i just moved across the Atlantic with one baby and one dog. I can't imagine what your move will be like. May i ask why you guys are moving?
  • Glad to hear the Kai escapes didn't involve too much escaping! Scary, though!

I worry about Leo. he has no interest in going away from us, and even when they are out in the yard, after a few minutes he comes back to the door to wait to come back in to be with us. He wants to be with us more than any of our dogs, even the AA. BUT I see he gets nervous on walks (I've noticed he's apprehensive around strange adult dogs) and I see his tension building and know he could get spooked in places other than at home. So we're super careful with him.
  • edited July 2012
    @Yandharr - "luytiy" or "lyutyi" is actually a phonetic spelling of the Russian word лютый, which basically means "fierce, savage, cruel, grim..." You pronounce it kinda like "you-tee" or "loo-TEE". link

--

@obuk - Sure, I will let you know. As for why we are moving, we need more space for our daughter and a better location to raise her. We didn't buy this place expecting to have children, but we had a surprise 2 years ago and so now we need to make some changes to set us up more appropriately for raising a child.

----
  • @brada1878 thanks. Yeah, makes sense :)
  • @brada1878 she is an adorable surprise.
  • edited July 2012
    After you move, I'll be the one rummaging through your old house to find any puppies you might have left behind :)
  • Well, Nio escaped again tonight! He came to the front door, like a good boy... but it was BLACK outside... gosh, this is starting to make me nervous...
  • Argh, that's obnoxious. I hope you can fix the problem.
  • uh oh...
  • I'm sorry you are having to deal with this when its already, I'm sure, such a stressful time! Moving is such a hassle when you only have adults and one dog to deal with! Hopefully you can get it all sorted out in the new place and no one will be able to escape! Isn't it lovely sharing a home with so many smart and agile animals :)
  • Kishin broke-out this morning too... So, I have closed off the large area of the yard until I can figure out how to fix this fence problem.

----